Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Temp Questions.  (Read 3055 times)

chrisgixer

Re: V6 Temp Questions.
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2014, 11:24:55 »

Thanks all for the feedback, if I start the car and let it idle, stat seems to do what it says on the tin, gush of heat on the main out hose at about 90, fans kick in around 95 erc, all nice and warm.

Had to take one of my Sons back to Uni today so gave the car a good run to Norwich and back.

On the way there temp pretty much stuck at 85 all to way, then hit 90 when we started to poddle around the City, outside temp was around 5.

On the way back started of at about 90 then slowly went down to 80 and stuck there most of the way home, outside temp was around 2.

So thinking new stat time maybe?, even though it seems ro be doing its job, correct me if Im thinking wrong here please.

Hopefully this may help to explain the crap mpg figures Im getting on LPG on this 3.2

Hmmm, not how mine went. Iirc the max temp it ever reached slowly dropped. So the max temp on my new stat now is just above 90. It might vary by a degree or two :-\ but that's all. Where as before on the old stat, it would rise to just above 80 and vary by a degree or two but that's all.

It never rose to a given level, and then dropped a significant amount such as 10 degrees.

I wonder is the lpg affecting it? Does the temp drop coincide with switch over to gas?
How is the lpg coolant pipe work plumbed in? Iirc there's been questions on this before, is it the same car? Or am I fuddled again? ;D

As far as I know all LPG piumed in corectly, no, different car, but good memory though that was another 3.2 with LPG, I think you may know this Car, I know LD has worked on it, was Jonnys from Colchester.

I try the looking at the Temp with switch over though, as still not convinced its the Stat, and dont really want to change the thing just for the sake of it.

Strangely enough ive just filled up with LPG after the Norwich Trip, and works out I was averaging 30 mpg on LPG for the trip, same as what the Computer was telling me, but I didn;t believe it. Best MPG I ever managed to get from it so far, as I reckon that would equate to around 33/34 mpg if on Petrol.  ::)
Gixer and Lazydocker installed it? Woo. Well dodgy them two. ;) ;D

Iirc there was talk of an odd knocking from the drivers side of the engine bay/wing. Not sure if that got resolved? Can only think of air in the system. But it should of bled by now obviously.

Is it using any coolant?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2014, 12:04:57 »

Iirc there was talk of an odd knocking from the drivers side of the engine bay/wing. Not sure if that got resolved? Can only think of air in the system. But it should of bled by now obviously.

Is it using any coolant?

Do you what, I was going to post that up under a different topic, yep, every now and then, normally when it gets up to temp (what ever that is), on LPG theres like, what I would call a Air/ Plumping knock or squeak that comes from the lower part of the OS engine, had my head down there the other day and couldn't quiet work out what it was, disappears when you switch it back to Petrol?, not sure if its related though  :-\

Edit: and no, its not loosing coolant.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2014, 12:07:33 by zirk »

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2014, 12:57:46 »

Is it using any coolant?

Do you what, I was going to post that up under a different topic, yep, every now and then, normally when it gets up to temp (what ever that is), on LPG theres like, what I would call a Air/ Plumping knock or squeak that comes from the lower part of the OS engine, had my head down there the other day and couldn't quiet work out what it was, disappears when you switch it back to Petrol?, not sure if its related though  :-\

Edit: and no, its not loosing coolant.

Wondered if its a "kettling" type issue, like an old boiler bangs and pops. Might imply a leak, or air somewhere. The vaporiser is bolted to the wing, under the air box/coolant bottle.
Iirc Johnny mentioned the banging just after the install. But neither of us where in a position to follow up on it.

Although if you find a rechargeable torch in there somewhere its mine. Although I think that went missing at Newent. ;) ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2014, 15:21:09 »

Wondered if its a "kettling" type issue, like an old boiler bangs and pops. Might imply a leak, or air somewhere. The vaporiser is bolted to the wing, under the air box/coolant bottle.
Iirc Johnny mentioned the banging just after the install. But neither of us where in a position to follow up on it.

Although if you find a rechargeable torch in there somewhere its mine. Although I think that went missing at Newent. ;) ;D

I have a look around the vaporiser then and see what I can hear, although it only seems to make the noise now and then, dont think its related though, could be.  :-\

No, no torch, would of been on aBay buy now if did find it.  :y

So, what the verdict on my Stat then chaps, think I might leave it be for the time being pending some warmer weather.  :-\
« Last Edit: 12 January 2014, 15:23:55 by zirk »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2014, 18:47:10 »

Was sitting in a bit of traffic today, bored with my arm out of the window, I could feel the heat rising from the side of the engine bay, bit like you do in the summer, immediately looked at the temp gauge, it was sitting at zero on the pin!.

Initial thoughts were, panic!, no coolant, switched the heater on full blast, nice and hot!, relief, switched Engine on and off, still the same, checked other gauges, all ok, Firmly Tapped the temp gauge a couple of times, you know, like they do on them old War Plane Movies, the gauge shot up to 87, love it, he, he.  ;D

Starting to think now, the temp gauge or damper is sticking, intermittent or faulty, and car temp is as it should be.  ::) 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2014, 10:44:03 »

Was sitting in a bit of traffic today, bored with my arm out of the window, I could feel the heat rising from the side of the engine bay, bit like you do in the summer, immediately looked at the temp gauge, it was sitting at zero on the pin!.

Initial thoughts were, panic!, no coolant, switched the heater on full blast, nice and hot!, relief, switched Engine on and off, still the same, checked other gauges, all ok, Firmly Tapped the temp gauge a couple of times, you know, like they do on them old War Plane Movies, the gauge shot up to 87, love it, he, he.  ;D

Starting to think now, the temp gauge or damper is sticking, intermittent or faulty, and car temp is as it should be.  ::)

Easiest way to check is to get diagnostics on it and watch live temp readings as they are taken from the fuel injection temp sensor,will at least tell you if your gauge is playing ball :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2014, 10:54:18 »

remember there are at least four different "fans kicking in" strategies......

main engine coolant fan is a two-speed job. The slow speed should come on most times when you pull up to a stop.

the a/c fans at the front of the radiator can work either in series for slow speed or in parallel for fast speed

all at different temperatures.

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2014, 13:07:08 »

Does pressing the clocks in help? Might not be meeting the "scart socket" at the back. Or is that a pre face issue, which you probably know about anyway. :-[
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.