Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedometer not working  (Read 7346 times)

I_want_an_Omega

Re: Speedometer not working
« Reply #45 on: 28 January 2014, 08:20:22 »

My guess is that bulbs have been removed - that's by far the easiest thing to do and is often done  by Mssrs Bogit & Scarper. I was the victim of a clever bodge when I bought my 2.5 estate. The EML bulb was disconnected from the ECU and reconnected to the ignition light feed. This was to mask the fact there was a sensor fault bringing the EML on. Fooled me for months and only highlighted by DTM plugging a Tech2 in.

Another option would be to cut wiring further down the loom - although less likely as it would require the perp to be able to identify the correct wires and then cut.

Although my spare clusters are all MFL, I can't see GM changing the bulbs between MFL & FL ..

I'll send you a complete set of instrument panel bulbs, PM me your address & I'll get stuck in .....

Be warned though, I suspect that when replaced the bulbs will then be ON - allowing you to home in on the ABS unit as the most likely culprit ........

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 January 2014, 09:28:34 »

My guess is that bulbs have been removed - that's by far the easiest thing to do and is often done  by Mssrs Bogit & Scarper. I was the victim of a clever bodge when I bought my 2.5 estate. The EML bulb was disconnected from the ECU and reconnected to the ignition light feed. This was to mask the fact there was a sensor fault bringing the EML on. Fooled me for months and only highlighted by DTM plugging a Tech2 in.

Another option would be to cut wiring further down the loom - although less likely as it would require the perp to be able to identify the correct wires and then cut.

Although my spare clusters are all MFL, I can't see GM changing the bulbs between MFL & FL ..

I'll send you a complete set of instrument panel bulbs, PM me your address & I'll get stuck in .....

Be warned though, I suspect that when replaced the bulbs will then be ON - allowing you to home in on the ABS unit as the most likely culprit ........

Thanks so much Rob. :y

I can't believe the lengths these scammers will go to to sell cars. :o

I really like the mig that I bought though. Black migs with black leather look excellent IMO. I know it needs work but it's exactly the car that I wanted.

I'll PM my address.

Thanks again for helping. :y

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 28 January 2014, 19:14:17 »

Kate every so often my speedo stops working as well, i just give the dash above the speedo a thump with  my hand and it starts working again, ::) so i took the clocks out and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and all seems to be good again. check that first and whilst out check all the bulbs.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28 January 2014, 21:04:44 »

Kate every so often my speedo stops working as well, i just give the dash above the speedo a thump with  my hand and it starts working again, ::) so i took the clocks out and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and all seems to be good again. check that first and whilst out check all the bulbs.

Well I hope mine isn't a more complicated problem like the abs ecu. I need a wheel bearing doing and the cambelt so an easy fix on this would be very welcome.

Thanks for the advice! :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 29 January 2014, 16:44:56 »

Well I decided to have a go at removing the cluster today to check the bulbs but it didn't quite go according to plan.

I managed to remove it but I snapped the piece of plastic under the clocks then the screw fell under the driving column plastic.  I tried to retrieve it to no avail. Would it be alright to leave?

It turns out that a lot of you were right and the bulbs had been removed. I replaced them and finally put everything back. Well sort of. ;D

Thanks to Lincs Robert for sending me a set of bulbs. :y

The abs and tc light now stay on all the time when driving.

Is it normal for the pixels to go a bit funny on the info screen after this job?

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #50 on: 29 January 2014, 16:56:41 »

Were the pixels ok before Kate?

If so then maybe a connector hasn't been properly seated or is a poor connection which needs to be plugged/unplugged a couple of times to make it work?

I've got a number of spare displays here - but are from MFL cars with CCR800 radios, also the smaller displays from CCRT700 - will need an expert opinion as to whether they will work or not. You are welcome to one if the view is that it will help .....

You can remove the shrouding around the column which should allow you to get to the screw - it probably wont do any harm - but may end up somewhere untoward - so best to remove if you can.

TTFN & glad to be of service  :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 29 January 2014, 18:54:55 »

Thanks Rob I'll have another look at it tomorrow. :y

With regards to the speedo not working - is there a guide on how to check the ABS sensors on each wheel?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29 January 2014, 18:57:13 »

With regards to the speedo not working - is there a guide on how to check the ABS sensors on each wheel?

It's not working cos the abs ecu is shot

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29 January 2014, 19:17:40 »

Thanks James. :y

In the guide it says to check the sensors. Do I not need to do that then?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29 January 2014, 19:20:33 »

Thanks James. :y

In the guide it says to check the sensors. Do I not need to do that then?

Nothing to be lost but its unlikely to help

05omegav6

« Reply #55 on: 29 January 2014, 19:37:07 »

The ABS produces a speed signal based on the average speed of all four wheels. One or even three duff sensors won't stop the speedo from working. A dodgy sensor would put the light on.

If you're really lucky you might find the sensors unplugged or covered in muck, but realistically, light on and no speedo = dead ABS ecu :'(

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 29 January 2014, 19:39:00 »

Is it possible to buy an ABS ECU or is it best to repair the one that's on the car?

05omegav6

« Reply #57 on: 29 January 2014, 19:43:14 »

Is it possible to buy an ABS ECU or is it best to repair the one that's on the car?
Either/or or both :y

Might as well get yours repaired, and if you find a working one in the meantime then great...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 29 January 2014, 20:44:05 »

The one you buy second hand might just be about to fail, as this is a fairly common fault. £130 for a repaired one with a two year warranty is, IMHO, the most economic solution.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 29 January 2014, 20:49:00 »

The one you buy second hand might just be about to fail, as this is a fairly common fault. £130 for a repaired one with a two year warranty is, IMHO, the most economic solution.

I wouldn't be able to remove the old one so that's a big problem.

Can the car run without one installed btw while the part is being repaired?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.