Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clicking Starter  (Read 2470 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Clicking Starter
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2014, 22:23:57 »

Starter solenoid dodgy ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2014, 10:03:17 »

Give starter a belt with a mallet.

Pop in gear (ign off) and push the car a few inches.

Let us know which one cures it

Had a Cav SRi Auto years ago, that I purchased as my old Company Car and handed it over to Swimbo complete with a Club Hammer and instructions on what to do if and when the 'No Start Clicky Noise' happens.

She was parked outside Her Mums one day, and on leaving it wouldn't start. There was a BT Van parked in front of Her with a couple of Engineers drinking Tea and looking at her.

Armed with the Hammer, She lifting the Bonnet and proceeded to wack the f**k out of the Engine,  the 2 BT Engineers just pissed themselves laughing and one of them said 'problem with the Car, Love',  'Nope' She replied and with that closed the Bonnet, jumped in, started it and drove off.

As she drove off, she gave them a little wave and she said the look on their faces was priceless.  ;D

rac060804

• Midlands
    • Omega 2.2dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2014, 21:15:03 »

Hi all
       Got home tonight, grabbed a mallet and went out to the car.............before I wacked it (starter lol) I tried to fire her up again, but this time there was nothing !!!  Not a click, not nothing.......

The instrument panel all lite up as normal, but that was all   ;-(    turn the key and nowt

Would fault start cause this?  the no noise or anything?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2014, 01:01:11 »

Are you sure your battery's not goosed?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

rac060804

• Midlands
    • Omega 2.2dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2014, 19:23:36 »

Ive been out tonight to see if she will fire and the clicking has returned.........think I will try jumping her with my Frontera this weekend.

martin42

« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2014, 20:01:47 »

Sounds like battery is problem,swap it with another 1 and try that.

rac060804

• Midlands
    • Omega 2.2dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2014, 14:41:14 »

Hi all
    Ok, so Ive tried to jump her off my Frontera, nothing, no clicking from the starter.........I can only hear a relay clicking.
ive been underneath her and tapped the starter, still nothing so I guess the next thing is to see if there is power going to the start, but is there an easy way to test it as Ive seen the heat shield over the turbo, then the bloody starter has a heat shield that looks like its secured to the engine under the turbo, making it not accessible.

Im sure there has got to be an easier way, but I hope you guys may know..

dazza88

• luton (bedfordshire)
    • 2001 2.6 v6 auto omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2014, 08:56:23 »

Hi all
    Ok, so Ive tried to jump her off my Frontera, nothing, no clicking from the starter.........I can only hear a relay clicking.
ive been underneath her and tapped the starter, still nothing so I guess the next thing is to see if there is power going to the start, but is there an easy way to test it as Ive seen the heat shield over the turbo, then the bloody starter has a heat shield that looks like its secured to the engine under the turbo, making it not accessible.

You can only get to the starter from under the car as the heat shield is in the way I just changed my starter not long ago on my 2.2 dti there quite easy to do belongs the heat shield bolts come of nicely mine were rusted and just turned but once I sorted that was easy but most of it had to be dine from under car as the turbo is in the way. Im not sure if a muti meter would tell you if its getting power.
2002 2.2 cd auto             mrk2 astra gte
vauxhall colton               vauxhall omega 2.6 v6 auto
ford sierra saphire 20l   vauxhall omega 2.2 dti 02 plate

dazza88

• luton (bedfordshire)
    • 2001 2.6 v6 auto omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2014, 08:59:16 »

Hi all

You can only get to the starter from under the car as the heat shield is in the way I just changed my starter not long ago on my 2.2 dti there quite easy to do belongs the heat shield bolts come of nicely mine were rusted and just turned but once I sorted that was easy but most of it had to be dine from under car as the turbo is in the way. Im not sure if a muti meter would tell you if its getting power.

But sounds like starter I think I got mine from central auto suppliers from 86 pound but then there was a 30 pound sir charge
2002 2.2 cd auto             mrk2 astra gte
vauxhall colton               vauxhall omega 2.6 v6 auto
ford sierra saphire 20l   vauxhall omega 2.2 dti 02 plate

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2014, 09:12:56 »

Put a decent battery on it
Retired

rac060804

• Midlands
    • Omega 2.2dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 February 2014, 09:58:50 »

Morning all
                Finally got to the leads on the starter.................there is constant power going to her on the thicker lead, then on the small lead on the starter, there is power going to it when the ignition is turned.........

Now this is where my knowledge isn't too good.  Is this normal?  Should I be getting power as described above?

Sorry for being thick

rac060804

• Midlands
    • Omega 2.2dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2014, 10:26:07 »

Just put the brand new battery off my 2.2dti frontera onto the omega and Im getting the same condition............

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 02 February 2014, 11:21:25 »

Morning all
                Finally got to the leads on the starter.................there is constant power going to her on the thicker lead, then on the small lead on the starter, there is power going to it when the ignition is turned.........

Now this is where my knowledge isn't too good.  Is this normal?  Should I be getting power as described above?

Sorry for being thick
What you describe is normal... the solenoid is obviously goosed :y

With the car in NEUTRAL, key in position 2, short the two terminals on the motor... it should then start. :y Ideally, you don't want to be under it at the time, unless it's on ramps rather than axle stands...

Whether that frees it off or not depends on how dead the solenoid is, but the only way I could start my old auto Mk2 Granada was to do this everytime the solenoid froze...

rac060804

• Midlands
    • Omega 2.2dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2014, 16:06:50 »

Hi Guys
          Just wanted to pass by and say Thank you for the help/advise to all, I've sorted her.............turned out to be the starter motor u/s.  new one fitted and she now turns over............

Time to get the ECU read for the codes.

Cheers once again

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2014, 01:26:22 »

Morning all

Sorry for being thick
What you describe is normal... the solenoid is obviously goosed :y

With the car in NEUTRAL, key in position 2, short the two terminals on the motor... it should then start. :y Ideally, you don't want to be under it at the time, unless it's on ramps rather than axle stands...

Whether that frees it off or not depends on how dead the solenoid is, but the only way I could start my old auto Mk2 Granada was to do this everytime the solenoid froze...

:y :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.