Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Development.  (Read 5713 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Development.
« Reply #60 on: 05 April 2014, 23:32:14 »

Fault alone doesn't drive development. Fault drives rectification within the boundaries of what someone is prepared to pay. The scenario you gave does not describe fault - it was to do with unsatisfied needs

Ok, so go on with the model.

Fault has to be in there somewhere, if everything was fine then our management approach would be justified. But they aren't happy with the profits, waste, and errors, and look to the staff with a big stick for correction of a process they are in charge of. Development is out of our remit completely. Its across all depts.

I did say I see Fault finding as step one. There's little point changing anything until it's known exactly what you want to achieve/fix/change/solve.

Fault being my generic term for anything that needs improvement. Rightly or wrongly.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 06 April 2014, 00:19:00 »

It seems to ne that your company needs to embrace the Continuous Improvement principle rather than associate poor management with development. There may also be British BSI or European CEN standards for your area of work which may assist
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

chrisgixer

« Reply #62 on: 06 April 2014, 01:33:39 »

It seems to ne that your company needs to embrace the Continuous Improvement principle rather than associate poor management with development. There may also be British BSI or European CEN standards for your area of work which may assist

Well maybe yes, but surely whatever is implemented has to be done by the management. Its in their hands ultimately. Blame culture is hindering, as everyone is scared for their jobs, even before any questions are asked.

What's in common is everyone agrees change is needed. Staff point to management. Management point to staff. Our independent consultant though, employed by senior management to be fair to them obviously, looks very directly to management for change.
I'd suggest a fault reporting system, or whatever you want to call it, is first up. Followed immediately by a monitoring system to insure issues are acted on and corrected.

But first off the culture need to change. Even now, 3months in, we still get in experienced managers pointing the finger at staff. As an example, cheap materials are used(penny wise, pound foolish) that cause quality faults in production, these faults are seen as operator faults, and the operator gets the blame. Even though there was no problem with the material that was up to spec. And that's all that's changed.
 They introduce a fault to previously working process, then blame someone else. Genuinely believing their approach to be correct, as that's easy. Blame the op. Or understand your process, examine what's wring, what the cause is, fix the cause, no issue next time.
 Former wins on grounds of laziness as a first off.

chrisgixer

« Reply #63 on: 06 April 2014, 01:41:00 »

The irony is, only the staff have the answers to the faults generally speaking, as the staff have the experience. Lots of experience. Up to 3 times as long in the trade as management on average. Yet the staff are never consulted.

Begs the question, what do we need them for? Numerous experienced staff have left with words along the line of "this place runs quite well. Despite the management" (not because of)

05omegav6

« Reply #64 on: 06 April 2014, 02:01:15 »

Any mileage in buying the management out :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #65 on: 06 April 2014, 02:11:49 »

Any mileage in buying the management out :-\
Too big. Several sites accross Europe. Most of which have not taken up some of the measures imposed on our staff, as they aren't legal there. Apparently.

We're on our second management team. We didn't think things could possibly get worse since the last lot....

05omegav6

« Reply #66 on: 06 April 2014, 04:41:31 »

That rules that out then :-\

Only a matter of time... presumably head office is aware the you're on the second set of management (i guess in a fairly short space of time). Was the external advice arranged by local management or head office?

If the former, sounds like local management is worried and rightly so... but if from head office, then they are aware there are issues and they are trying to identify (and hopefully rectify) those issues.

By getting outside opinion involved, they are 'developing' a solution. Whether that outside opinion is heeded or not, only time will tell :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #67 on: 06 April 2014, 09:50:40 »

Site manager got it ok'd through group management.

Stemo

« Reply #68 on: 06 April 2014, 10:28:18 »

Right. Then development is not really the issue. Its systems management and quality control.

...needs developing. As there is non currently. There's a big blame culture as well.

Actuall, sorry,  I've given you a crap reply. Pudding arrived. ;) ;D

Yes you right. ;)
Ok. We'll settle on process development.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 06 April 2014, 10:41:11 »

Sounds to me like you need an attitude adjustment at management level before anything will change.

Frankly, if you're leading a team of people you need to appreciate that their knowledge and experience exceeds yours and that your role is to keep them working at maximum efficiency, which includes listening to their moans and taking on board those which are justified.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 06 April 2014, 11:00:22 »

IMO, fault finding is THE most positive thing a human can do. Ever. All ideas are born of fault finding. The idea being a result of fault finding. The idea is the solution to a fault.

Next most positive, having found a solution. Ie, the idea.
Now you're talking of developing and existing product/service/procedure, not a new one. So you pick up my naïve strategy in the right place (as some other mongrel had the idea originally) ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 06 April 2014, 11:07:28 »

Well maybe yes, but surely whatever is implemented has to be done by the management. Its in their hands ultimately. Blame culture is hindering, as everyone is scared for their jobs, even before any questions are asked.
That's not what CI is about. If *anyone* sees an opportunity for improvement, they can note/voice it (note, not rant), and if agreed as having business benefits, drive it through, or pass it over to somebody better equipped to do so.

Obviously, it needs mgmt. buy-in, and its usually at this stage it goes from empowering people to burdening people, as targets get set against it...   ...for eg, a colleague who suffers migranes puts in CI to dim lighting, I then put in CI to state productivity would improve if we could see.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #72 on: 06 April 2014, 11:39:56 »

IMO, fault finding is THE most positive thing a human can do. Ever. All ideas are born of fault finding. The idea being a result of fault finding. The idea is the solution to a fault.

Next most positive, having found a solution. Ie, the idea.
Now you're talking of developing and existing product/service/procedure, not a new one. So you pick up my naïve strategy in the right place (as some other mongrel had the idea originally) ;)

Again. I never specified either. You presumed product development. I only ever mentioned "Development" as title. ;)

Googling development gives a phone book of options. Management bs and job creation trying to apply it to what ever situation. I'm looking at the basic most fundamental level of... Well. Common sense. Management can't call it common sense, as we all assume everyone has it. We also assume they must know what they're on about, because they're management. Or in charge. Or superior somehow. Hopefully with experience, so they can sort staff problems.
 Manager goes to MD. I want to go on a common sense course. What? Don't be daft. But if he asks for some other fancy pants BS course that amounts to the same thing, that's different, as the MD doesn't know wtf he's on about. Smoke and mirrors. Paranoia. Arrogance. BS. Blah blah.
I'm not saying training isn't needed or useful. Far from it. It's just a case or understanding a very basic principle. Then applying it correctly to whatever needs it.

Like I said we see it daily in the help sections on here. I have a fault. Describe the symptoms. Understand the problem. Someone with experience pipes up. Or we work through it and come up with a likely fix based in whatever... Or however you want to describe it. Its starts with the fault**

**generic term for problem, issue, area that could be better, needs to be done better or differently. If you get my meaning.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 06 April 2014, 12:18:42 »

Again. I never specified either. You presumed product development. I only ever mentioned "Development" as title. ;)
You'll notice in all my replies I have specifically stated product/service/procedure, and sometimes with an etc on the end ::)

As to the rest, it strikes me you have a grudge/resentment against (your) management, and nothing they will ever do will be right in your eyes. Maybe you're right, I've never met them, so can't comment. You seem to then imply all "management" is flawed/poor  :-\. Remember, most senior management will have a better idea on where the company is heading, even if its not where you want it to go.

As to this year's bright idea, seemingly daft, often American process/ideas that get forced upon us, most are based on good ideas and common sense. But usually get implemented in such a way as to make that more important that anything else, including real work  :'(
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 06 April 2014, 12:36:22 »

The irony is, only the staff have the answers to the faults generally speaking, as the staff have the experience. Lots of experience. Up to 3 times as long in the trade as management on average. Yet the staff are never consulted.

Begs the question, what do we need them for? Numerous experienced staff have left with words along the line of "this place runs quite well. Despite the management" (not because of)
Where have they gone to? Keep in touch. If the product your company produces is (just) profitable despite crap management there may be an opportunity for a team of disgruntled ex employees to start a new company a do a better job.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.