Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Faulty battery...faulty charging system...faulty connection?  (Read 8403 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Faulty battery...faulty charging system...faulty connection?
« Reply #45 on: 01 August 2014, 11:17:54 »

Yep, likely to be a connection somewhere as it's intermittent.

Another tack is to crank it a few times and then feel the wiring from battery to starter, and engine block back to battery negative terminal, to see if anything has got warm.

It's possible the contacts in the solenoid aren't always "making" well, and the starter is running slow due to this, but the starters are normally reliable on the V6, so I'd look for a dodgy connection first.

It would still be worth getting an accurate meter and checking the charging, IMHO.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 August 2014, 11:39:08 »

Yep, likely to be a connection somewhere as it's intermittent.

Another tack is to crank it a few times and then feel the wiring from battery to starter, and engine block back to battery negative terminal, to see if anything has got warm.

It's possible the contacts in the solenoid aren't always "making" well, and the starter is running slow due to this, but the starters are normally reliable on the V6, so I'd look for a dodgy connection first.

It would still be worth getting an accurate meter and checking the charging, IMHO.

Will do. Thanks, Kevin. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 August 2014, 11:54:46 »

It really does sound like a dead cell to me, with only 5 out of the 6 cells holding charge - hence the c.10 volts reading.

Ron.

If it were just the Omega I would tend to agree with you, Bigron.

But the battery on the Corsa also?.....

Ugh, sorry - I missed that comment from early. I stand corrected.

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 August 2014, 12:26:13 »

It really does sound like a dead cell to me, with only 5 out of the 6 cells holding charge - hence the c.10 volts reading.

Ron.

If it were just the Omega I would tend to agree with you, Bigron.

But the battery on the Corsa also?.....

Ugh, sorry - I missed that comment from early. I stand corrected.

Ron.

No sweat, Ron. :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 August 2014, 13:53:04 »

Battery is goosed I would say, when the cells fail on these modern units the charge current tends to jump about and you get these type of symptoms.

Try swapping it with the oversized one you have on the Corsa for a few days of testing, it will be slightly down on CCA but will function fine this time of year with no issues or risk

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 August 2014, 14:19:23 »

Battery is goosed I would say, when the cells fail on these modern units the charge current tends to jump about and you get these type of symptoms.

Try swapping it with the oversized one you have on the Corsa for a few days of testing, it will be slightly down on CCA but will function fine this time of year with no issues or risk

The original GM battery in the Corsa was 36AH This lasted for nine years. :y The cheap replacement which barely lasted 12 months was 40AH. :-\

The current GM replacement is 50 AH (cost £50) and spins the little Corsa engine over very easily. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 August 2014, 14:24:30 »

It's looking like you need to add a new battery to the list along with the charcoal pollen filter  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 August 2014, 16:40:46 »

It's looking like you need to add a new battery to the list along with the charcoal pollen filter  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

I've just been checking out the price of a new GM battery. Mr Vauxhall tells me that they now come with a 4 year warranty. ::) ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 01 August 2014, 18:10:02 »

Just to promote a firm that gave me a good price, excellent service and prompt, no-quibble warranty replacement after 2 1/2 years of its 4 year warranty - including free courier delivery and collection in all instances....
www.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk

NO, I do not have shares in the company, nor any interest other than being very satisfied with how they treated me and communicated.

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 03 August 2014, 11:59:24 »

Two things I would mention though Opti is that like all things bought online if it does go wrong within the guarantee period you might have a headache getting a refund or a new battery and Andy made a good point in your other thread about the jacket, so check the dimensions.  My jacket is long gone so it was irrelevant in my case.  ::)

If your willing to spend £70ish then I'd also be temped by this one which is a bit more heavy duty and has a 4 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Premium-Car-Battery-Type-096-100-With-4-Year-Manufacturers-Warranty-/330855763750?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d088a4f26

To be honest though the one I have does the job just fine.  Exide is a well known battery manufacturer and as mentioned elsewhere are possibly GM's battery suppliers anyway.  :y  Although being a bit cynical about these things I think it's more likely that GM's batteries are cheaply sourced in China and have a GM sticker slapped on.  ;)

I think though that you still need to get an accurate multimeter to see if your alternator is charging properly, as you may find that your new battery, wherever you get it from might not last long!  :-\  HTH!  :y
« Last Edit: 03 August 2014, 12:16:13 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 03 August 2014, 13:13:08 »

Sir Tigger, the warranty point you make is why I bought from Advanced Batteries - online - and keep on promoting them.
They gave a 4 year warranty, mine had a dead cell after 2 1/2 years and they replaced it without demur, courier delivery next day and courier collection the day after, giving me time to swap batteries - and not a penny cost to me!
These days, such service is exemplary and I know it must be boring to read my posts about the same point, but if we don't patronise the good dealers, all we will have left are the crap ones.

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 03 August 2014, 13:39:36 »

It's a good point Ron, and from your experience their after sales back up is excellent!  :y  Mine came from CarParts4Less and hopefully I won't have to test their after sales!  ::)  The fact that your battery failed after 2 1/2 years isn't selling the brand to me though.  :-\ 

Batteries can be fickle things, I splashed out on a Bosch a while ago and thought it would last as long as I had the car, but it failed a couple of months after the warranty period expired!  >:(  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.