Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: It's only a car....  (Read 7808 times)

chrisgixer

Re: It's only a car....
« Reply #45 on: 17 August 2014, 19:56:04 »

Can't be the chassis either as that's all over the place more often than not ;D
Even when it is, it offers such predictability, so lacking in many other mainstream marques like Fords, you can still be right on the limit.

To prove that, as you drive like a man possessed, now many times have you spun an Omega, or failed to stop in time (ice aside, as you use those silly tyres)? I'd wager never?

You know full well that's not my bug bear with omega handling.

And re vxr8, you also know as well as I do it's a Holden. And why you would want to part with the tech support in your possession that vx offer that model is .... Beyond me. Tbh.

Granted they are pricey, but they hold value as well. But wait until the winter months...

....having said all that I haven't driven one yet, they might be as wobbly as an omega.
Although Robs seemed ok from the passenger seat. As did 2woodys gts. Don't forget those. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #46 on: 17 August 2014, 20:22:12 »

Tesla is no longer a small scale quirky car manufacturer, with a massive car plant bought from Toyota/GM producing 20,000 cars a year, and plans for a second plant in the pipe line :y

Or to put it another way... to replace the 30 million cars on the UK roads alone that factory would need 1500 years  :o... assuming the number of cars didn't increase...

Tomorrow's World said we'd be living in bubbles now... surprise surprise we're mostly still in Victorian terraces   :P
Have a read of this...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors

Scroll down to the Model S for production models, currently outselling everything else twice over in the luxury car segment in the US alone... :y

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • Go faster Black MV6 Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 August 2014, 22:03:09 »

Interesting post.was lying on the bed last night having a mental tot up of what Ive spent on the olf Girl in almost 4 years. Purchase price £1200 Oct 10. Total spend around same bulk of which happened very recently. So what have I got. Black 3Ltr MV6 man total cost to date.£2500 over 4 years not including Insurance or fuel.. That works out at £12pw thats an awful lot of Motor for not alot of money :y

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 August 2014, 23:56:17 »

How are the petrol E60s 530i 545i 550i etc... Would love an M5 V10 but running one would be impossible  :o ;D

Given BMW's long history of buggering up everything from Nikasil to Vanos.... if the E60 petrols are ok it's down to nothing other than luck  ;)

Funny > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlneaZ-2KaI

This 535d has managed 210k miles on a 2007 and is sill just under 9k  :o

Link
« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 23:58:23 by Mr.OmegaMan »

chrisgixer

« Reply #49 on: 18 August 2014, 00:08:13 »

And anyway, what's all this about bloody BMW's. Ya turn coats  >:( >:( >:(

;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 18 August 2014, 00:31:54 »

And anyway, what's all this about bloody BMW's. Ya turn coats  >:( >:( >:(

;D

It's the future Chris.. Kinda like an Apple car  ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #51 on: 18 August 2014, 00:53:09 »

Pffff if you people think omega parts are expensive.... ::)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 18 August 2014, 01:50:57 »

Pffff if you people think omega parts are expensive.... ::)

No doubt, That and the initial cost of the car are the major problems with BMW apart from that though  ;D...  7 series is pig ugly pretty well equipped, But would rather a LS430/LS460 over one of those though..

ckz

• Intermediate Member
  • burton on trent
    • Vauxhall Omega CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18 August 2014, 05:46:24 »

A Chevrolet blazer 4.8 fully equipped any time over a smart car.
The amount of space and safety for yourself is unbeatable.
Just have to get married to miss jet! Lol

But at least you have a car and not a pothole searcher.
Bet in a smart you have a emergency button for the seat in case you drown in a pothole. Lol
( sorry never driven one and not intend doing so, so I don't know)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18 August 2014, 08:52:44 »

zero depreciation now, cheap to fuel, well the 2.2 is  ;D

But even the 3.2 is cheaper to run than a modern hatch, thanks to low service bills, no monthly payments with 10% APR and no deprecation.

Just smarts a bit at the pump  :D

aaronjb

« Reply #55 on: 18 August 2014, 09:19:36 »

What's this "no depreciation" you guys talk about?

I paid £4000 for mine in 2010 - it's now worth maybe £500, if I'm lucky.
I've spent probably £1000 in maintenance (tyres, fluids, brakes, cam belt, rear shocks, oil cooler etc) which would have been a lot more if I were paying someones labour rather than blagging favours from people.
£1120 road tax.
~40k miles in that time at an average of about 23mpg, lets assume an average of £1.24/L, £5.63/gal, 1739 gallons equals £9790 on fuel.

So in four years it's cost me £15900 including fuel, or £5600 in purchase & running costs and it still needs wishbones, bushes, probably a gearbox flush and is starting to dissolve into iron oxide..

Or, spend £18000 on a new £30k motor over 3 years with warranty & servicing included, £30p/a tax and 50mpg, which equates to £18090 purchase & running costs and £22890 including fuel.

Seven grand more and you get to drive a brand new car with zero worries about reliability and if you want to take a european driving holiday you won't have to take an entire spare car with you (like James appears to be doing)! ;D

The figures are even less favourable to the Omega if you do the sensible thing and go for a 1 year old car rather than brand new so you're not eating the initial depreciation..

[edit] Actually there's a problem with my calculation isn't there - it's not £7k extra as the new car is over 3 years and the Omega over four, so it's more like £9k extra over four years..
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 09:27:38 by aaronjb »

05omegav6

« Reply #56 on: 18 August 2014, 09:36:31 »

Strong case there for keeping the Omega then Aaron ::) about £12,000 reasons once you find out that the new car only does 40mpg rather than the 50mpg suggested :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18 August 2014, 09:41:33 »

Strong case there for keeping the Omega then Aaron ::) about £12,000 reasons once you find out that the new car only does 40mpg rather than the 50mpg suggested :y

.. Quite apart from finding a new car that you actually like...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 18 August 2014, 09:44:06 »

Ah but you underestimate the value of not having to fix the damn thing every other weekend ;)

Anyway, says the man with the Mercedes that turned out to only do 30mpg and who was man maths-ing himself into a new Tesla S the other day.. ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18 August 2014, 09:44:19 »

.. Quite apart from finding a new car that you actually like...

Not to mention one that's actually as reliable as you think new cars are. Something that gets worse the more you spend.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.