Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: hesitation on throttle / gearbox response  (Read 3513 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
hesitation on throttle / gearbox response
« on: 12 May 2015, 15:21:27 »

This is difficult to explain but sometimes when you give it bootfull it will think about it then go, other times it will change gear then change again. No thuds or code since replacing the gearbox and gearbox ecu. Perhaps mr Chrisgixer can word it better as he has experienced the fault. Also sometimes when you boot it then lift off it feels like the revs dont drop.

Probably a silly thought but what controls the throttle peddle. was just thinking perhaps engine/gearbox is being told the wrong thing so not sure what to do.

lesv6

• V6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: hesitation on throttle / gearbox response
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2015, 15:28:25 »

Your right foot controls the throttle pedal ;)

first try cleaning throttles and make sure spindles are free moving and not tight

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2015, 15:45:04 »

first try cleaning throttles and make sure spindles are free moving and not tight

It's drive by wire ::)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 15:47:26 »

Any engine codes? Pedal trick?

It could just be the start of a misfire, or some other engine management hic up.

If it's a slight misfire, it could see the reduction in torque and change up, thinking you've throttled off. For example.

Did it get software update?

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2015, 15:55:16 »

No codes using pedal trick.
No updates all upto date.

Thinking about misfire would this be caused by old spark plugs. Couldnt see anything in the history for changing them since 2007.

lesv6

• V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2015, 17:00:18 »

I know, same as my 3.2
as i said clean throttles and spindles first, could be sticking. remove bagpipes and unbolt throttle bodies. if no improvement could be iffy tps

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2015, 18:10:44 »

I would also ensure breathers and throttles are spotless. Then I would be looking it seeing if the trims are drifting out
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2015, 20:20:03 »

I know, same as my 3.2
as i said clean throttles and spindles first, could be sticking. remove bagpipes and unbolt throttle bodies. if no improvement could be iffy tps

You know, yet post that that the drivers foot sets the throttle. It  doesn't , the Tps does. ::)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2015, 20:23:01 »

No codes using pedal trick.
No updates all upto date.

Thinking about misfire would this be caused by old spark plugs. Couldnt see anything in the history for changing them since 2007.
Possibly. It might be coil pacs breaking down. It could also be a number of other things. I'd be pulling the drivers coil PAC for a look see. Along with the other suggestions.

..although I drove an omega with blocked breathers for some time. It didn't behave like this does. It's a drop in power. But why...?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2015, 20:56:52 »

..although I drove an omega with blocked breathers for some time. It didn't behave like this does. It's a drop in power. But why...?
On these, shitty breathers tend to give stickiness to DBW throttles (or in extreme cases, actually knacker the gears in the servos - but I've only ever send that once myself), which was my reasoning for suggesting cleaning.

But I'm not convinced in this case, hence wanting to see trims (and/or MAF at point it fails)
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2015, 21:00:24 »

Is it the same with the TC off ?

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2015, 21:10:55 »

I have cleaned the breathers, all pipes and box. I havnt tried it withe the tc off. Today I noticed the indecisive gearchange when engine was cold, I drove about half a mile to the a40 on the way down the on ramp hit the peddle and it seemed to change twice. After about 30 mins of driving around went back on the a40 pressed on to just above 80 then lifted off and for a second or two nothing happened then the revs dropped and the speed dropped.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2015, 21:19:30 »

On these, shitty breathers tend to give stickiness to DBW throttles (or in extreme cases, actually knacker the gears in the servos - but I've only ever send that once myself), which was my reasoning for suggesting cleaning.

But I'm not convinced in this case, hence wanting to see trims (and/or MAF at point it fails)

This is at wot in third iirc, or was it in second... Certainly wot, at a tad over 5k rpm. So given the road in question, more likely second.
So not near rev limiter.
Not near a gear change point.
Not during throttle movement. (Assuming no fault of course, as it should be wide open and the symptom would suggest it's trying to close if a Tps fault)
Not near a multi ram movement. (Iiuc?)

Basickly engine at full load at 5,200 odd rpm. Slight hesitation/drop in load until 5,500 and off it goes again.

I'd be looking at engine management I think? O2 or Maf or spark. ....fuel filter?

Something breaking down at full load anyway.

There is a concern the box is trying to change gear. Which is sort of feasible.  Box replaced with matching ecm from same dinar vehichle as the box. Known good.

Has the fluid level been re checked since the box change Paul..?

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2015, 21:22:01 »

I have cleaned the breathers, all pipes and box. I havnt tried it withe the tc off. Today I noticed the indecisive gearchange when engine was cold, I drove about half a mile to the a40 on the way down the on ramp hit the peddle and it seemed to change twice. After about 30 mins of driving around went back on the a40 pressed on to just above 80 then lifted off and for a second or two nothing happened then the revs dropped and the speed dropped.

This is a new symptom, to me anyway. I haven't experienced this. Would you say the revs dropped as if throttle off?

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2015, 21:29:47 »

This is a new symptom, to me anyway. I haven't experienced this. Would you say the revs dropped as if throttle off?

Sorry worded it wrong revs dropped and speed dropped as there should, it just seemed to hold onto the revs a bit longer than expected when I lifted off. Hence my question could the throttle stick..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.