Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 Upgrade Notification Icon today.  (Read 7783 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Windows 10 Upgrade Notification Icon today.
« on: 01 June 2015, 13:14:42 »

Been using Win10 now for while as a Dual Boot with Win7 on the lappy, (Beta Obviously), whilst running Win7 today in normal mode, noticed an Win10 Icon notification appeared to have installed itself, upon clicking, it verified my free upgrade to Win10 full version when its ready.

Anyone else got this, I know its free anyway, but was trying to ascertain whether this is coming up on all normal Win7 Machines now, or whether its because Im using a Win10 Beta?

Also strange as Im using Win7 Ultimate, and my understanding Ultimate or Business Users wouldn't qualify for an unpaid Win10 Upgrade.

Also for info, apparently, Win10 will be the last Windows Release Platform, it will just be upgraded in time, so if thats the case, cant help thinking of us in the Year 2025 running Win10 with Service Pack 253 Installed, God thats gonna run like a pig.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Notification Icon today.
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2015, 13:24:15 »

I find it an interesting parallel how software vs the automotive, how cars with long production runs which are incrementally improved are noted as being some of the finest ever made, whereas the same but in reverse applies for an OS. The older, the more add-ons, the more bloated and the slower it gets.

Without teaching all on here to suck eggs the obvious candidates like the original 911, Land Rover/Defender, Lotus/Caterham/ 7, original Mini, Beetle and so on...

I was surprised to learn this odd approach ot 'no new Windows after 10' strategy, too, surely there's a massive chink in Microsoft's armour for, in maybe 4 years time, for some relative nobody to introduce and OS which has all the advantages of 10, but will do it a bit slicker and cheaper. I'm thinking of what Chrome has done to the dominance of Explorer users in the last few years. Hmm... :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2015, 13:44:11 »

I was surprised to learn this odd approach ot 'no new Windows after 10' strategy, too, surely there's a massive chink in Microsoft's armour for, in maybe 4 years time, for some relative nobody to introduce and OS which has all the advantages of 10, but will do it a bit slicker and cheaper.

Think MS kind of shoot themselves in the foot with Win8 on the Computer front and didn't help themselves when they took over Nokia Mobile and insisted everything should be Win Mobile, and then pissed around with Win7, 8 and 8.1 mobile Apps, or more to the point lake of them.

All very well trying a backward step with Win10, same platform for PC's, Laptops, Tablets and Phones, but they've missed the boat, unless they've got something clever up there sleeves in the near future and can address the Apps Issue to name a few, the Market share has already decided on IOS and Android for portable Toys.

Sony Betamax vs JVC VHS springs to mind here, at least Sony saw what was happening and soon started banging out VHS Machines rather than drown in a sinking ship.

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2015, 13:48:04 »

ive just got the notification too....see what it like....prob a load of sherbert like windows 8

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2015, 13:53:01 »

I have it too give it a try for free is always good 

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2015, 14:25:27 »

Dear Microsoft,

Good luck getting me to change from Windows 3.1.1  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2015, 15:15:55 »

Without teaching all on here to suck eggs the obvious candidates like the original 911, Land Rover/Defender, Lotus/Caterham/ 7, original Mini, Beetle and so on...

Not sure any of the three highlighted are great examples, Land Rover/Defender was not developed and went on many backward steps in recent years but could have been truly superb if improved over time, it only continued as there was no competiion. Mini is similar, brilliant when launched, ten years later average, a further ten years later true shocking and when finally pensioned, an embarrassment, a classic symbol of why we don't have a UK owned company producing volume cars.

The Beetle was only what it was as it became (for some rather weird reason) an iconic car, again, not developed in anger.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2015, 15:42:52 »

Fair enough. I suppose I'm looking at 'great cars' of which I hope there'd be no doubt over anything on that list. As a general rule a system technology, vehicle, vessel mechanism, which is improved fractionally over a long time often prevails vs the 'bin that, it's old. new is better' methodology. Interesting that doesn't particularly apply with OSs, and the 'whitewash and start again' approach seems to be the way to go with most computing.

Ok, without dragging this off topic - anyone's suggestions for examples of an incrementally improved design over a long lifespan being a big seller/greatly admired/loved.  :)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2015, 15:45:41 »

Dear Microsoft,

Good luck getting me to change from Windows 3.1.1  :y

Dear Microsoft,

Good luck getting me to change from MS-DOS 3.1  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2015, 16:05:50 »

As a general rule a system technology, vehicle, vessel mechanism, which is improved fractionally over a long time often prevails vs the 'bin that, it's old. new is better' methodology. Interesting that doesn't particularly apply with OSs, and the 'whitewash and start again' approach seems to be the way to go with most computing.

No matter how disastrous a software project has become, it's almost never the right decision to "bin it and start again" and no matter how radically the external appearance of recent windows versions has changed, be sure that the underlying code is very much just incrementally improved, where it's changed at all - much more so than in vehicle design.

I say almost because, if you go back far enough, you hit Windows 3.11 / 95 / 98 / ME, where even microsoft eventually realised that the only sensible thing to do is kill it with fire. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

korum

• Derby
    • 2003 3.2 Irmscher MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2015, 16:38:31 »

Yeah i got the notification today as well. Im running a cough cough version of win 7 ultimate.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2015, 17:45:20 »

As a general rule a system technology, vehicle, vessel mechanism, which is improved fractionally over a long time often prevails vs the 'bin that, it's old. new is better' methodology. Interesting that doesn't particularly apply with OSs, and the 'whitewash and start again' approach seems to be the way to go with most computing.

No matter how disastrous a software project has become, it's almost never the right decision to "bin it and start again" and no matter how radically the external appearance of recent windows versions has changed, be sure that the underlying code is very much just incrementally improved, where it's changed at all - much more so than in vehicle design.

I say almost because, if you go back far enough, you hit Windows 3.11 / 95 / 98 / ME, where even microsoft eventually realised that the only sensible thing to do is kill it with fire. ;D
All my brother's stock and till software is built on VB6, pre millennium.  Getting a machine to run the VB6 IDE is getting difficult, but the bloody project will not convert to .NET

I really don't want to start again, but....

As to OS, Windows 10 isn't that different to NT3.1, launched in 91, although the user interface has been through a few iterations
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2015, 17:48:08 »

All my brother's stock and till software is built on VB6, pre millennium.  Getting a machine to run the VB6 IDE is getting difficult, but the bloody project will not convert to .NET

VM and thin client?  With the processing power available these days it could be an option but I guess it depends on the number of tills and how deep your his pockets are :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2015, 18:21:05 »

VM and thin client?  With the processing power available these days it could be an option but I guess it depends on the number of tills and how deep your his pockets are :-\
No, the compiled code runs fine on Win7 (and Win8, but he hasn't got that). And the previous Win10 preview (not tried the current one, CBA to rebuild the PC again).

Its the VB IDE that's the problem. The IDE is too buggy in Win7, so have to maintain a XP VM just for this :(
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2015, 18:41:58 »

My understanding is that the reason that Win 10 is being called the last Windows OS is that during Win 10's life they are going over to a totally based cloud system and like Photoshop you will have to rent it with a monthly fee but updates / upgrades will happen automatically.

This is great for shareholders where you will pay £100's to £1000's in rent every year, but not for people like me who refuse to rent / lease things where it normally works out far more expensive than buying.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.