Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling rules - 250 posts.  (Read 18339 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Selling rules - 250 posts.
« Reply #30 on: 06 June 2015, 08:58:58 »

Having spent some time reading through quite a lot of the old threads, I would agree that this forum was indeed one of the most friendly.
In fact, a few years ago it seems that it was absolutely hilarious on here at times. What happened ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 June 2015, 09:32:24 »

Having spent some time reading through quite a lot of the old threads, I would agree that this forum was indeed one of the most friendly.
In fact, a few years ago it seems that it was absolutely hilarious on here at times. What happened ?  :-\

People come and go, it's the way of things.

Car values have dropped.... [Entwood mode on] which attracts a different type of person [Entwood mode off ] apparently. :-\

There do seem to be some very negative approaches to life though, generally speaking.

Your question is worded almost exactly the same as a certain admins. Which is interesting. :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 June 2015, 09:46:06 »

It is still friendly and the moderators do so subtly, which is unusual. And bloody difficult!

As for the changes, that's just natural for this sort of increasingly niche subject.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 June 2015, 14:17:49 »

My vote would go for keeping the 250 post rule[not that it's up for a vote or that I hold any sway on the matter!!!!]Does the post count rule apply to want ads?I can't recall but I don't see any harm in a wanted ad no matter how many posts are made.That's just my opinion anyway.
That's incorrect.  All of us have a valid opinion, and all of our views count.  There may be reasons why a seemingly good idea cannot be implemented, which the Admin Team would normally try to convey if possible (which it won't be always).

The software doesn't allow distinction between a selling post or wanted post, so prevents posting of wanted ads.  However, we do state that wanted ads can be posted in test, and it'll get moved to the correct area.

Hope that clarifies
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 June 2015, 14:38:27 »

There was no moaning involved whatsoever. Imo the way to be constructive is to have a civilised discussion on any given topic.

I don't want the rules changed for me, in fact I don't actually want them changed at all. I just had the thought that it may be worth revisiting the subject and having a discussion about it, now that the forum appears to have changed quite dramatically  (cant think why  ::) :-X ) since the rules were first applied.
Absolutely right to discuss it in a friendly, civilised manner, as you state. OOF's basic principles haven't changed since the start, and the site owners want to include all members in any changes, policies and decisions whenever viable.

And its certainly worth revisiting a decision made several years ago.

Without extensive modification to the permissions system on the software used by OOF (which won't happen due to the depth of the changes needed, and the fact that a new version of SMF is likely to be released by SMF in 2016, which would require extensive duplicated effort), our options for automatically allowing a post in a certain location is purely based on postcount.  We can adjust the numbers, but that is the only metric we can get the software to take account of.

For fear of influencing other people's views (and to allow me to ponder it properly), I'll keep my own views on what the levels should be to myself for a bit longer, so please, everyone, suggest your views :)
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 June 2015, 14:44:42 »

Ok. My view is admin would do away with car sales altogether. And, given the drivel posted on the ads themselves at times, along with possibility of disputes that's understandable, perhaps.

Parts sales are pretty key to OOF existence though. I guess. :)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 June 2015, 14:48:54 »

There was no moaning involved whatsoever. Imo the way to be constructive is to have a civilised discussion on any given topic.

I don't want the rules changed for me, in fact I don't actually want them changed at all. I just had the thought that it may be worth revisiting the subject and having a discussion about it, now that the forum appears to have changed quite dramatically  (cant think why  ::) :-X ) since the rules were first applied.
Absolutely right to discuss it in a friendly, civilised manner, as you state. OOF's basic principles haven't changed since the start, and the site owners want to include all members in any changes, policies and decisions whenever viable.

And its certainly worth revisiting a decision made several years ago.

Without extensive modification to the permissions system on the software used by OOF (which won't happen due to the depth of the changes needed, and the fact that a new version of SMF is likely to be released by SMF in 2016, which would require extensive duplicated effort), our options for automatically allowing a post in a certain location is purely based on postcount.  We can adjust the numbers, but that is the only metric we can get the software to take account of.

For fear of influencing other people's views (and to allow me to ponder it properly), I'll keep my own views on what the levels should be to myself for a bit longer, so please, everyone, suggest your views :)
Could you have separate areas for 'Wanted' 'Cars for Sale' and 'Parts for Sale' with different post counts required for each?

(and if you do have a separate area for cars then don't allow any replies/banter/abuse - let the prospective buyer make contact by PM)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 June 2015, 14:52:25 »

Sorry TB I intended no kind of criticism and I didn't mean to infer that if some kind of poll were posted that my views wouldn't count,just that the admin team set the rules[as far as I'm aware] and a very good and fair job they make of it too.As for distinctions in sale/wanted ads that is the sort of thing I know nothing about but your explanation has made it clearer for me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 June 2015, 15:06:18 »

Ok. My view is admin would do away with car sales altogether. And, given the drivel posted on the ads themselves at times, along with possibility of disputes that's understandable, perhaps.

Not interested in your view of what you think the Admin Team would like to do, only interested in your view of what you'd like it to look like.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 June 2015, 15:08:55 »

Could you have separate areas for 'Wanted' 'Cars for Sale' and 'Parts for Sale' with different post counts required for each?
A valid suggestion. It would need an awful lot of moderation, possibly more than we could manage.

Wanted ads are less problematic as it stands now, although still needs moderation.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 June 2015, 15:11:56 »

Sorry TB I intended no kind of criticism and I didn't mean to infer that if some kind of poll were posted that my views wouldn't count,just that the admin team set the rules[as far as I'm aware] and a very good and fair job they make of it too.As for distinctions in sale/wanted ads that is the sort of thing I know nothing about but your explanation has made it clearer for me.
None taken, you'd have to be far blunter to piece my skin :P.

You are a member here. Your view counts as much as anybody else's, including mine, Mark's, Barry's, Broocie's, Kevin's and James'.  So stop arse licking :P, and post 'em up :y
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 June 2015, 15:15:01 »

Not interested in your view of what you think the Admin Team would like to do, only interested in your view of what you'd like it to look like.
Ultimately that's what will stand though as admin have to deal with it.

But I think car sale ads should be locked once posted. If possible only accessed by the op to update details or if sold etc. Or by admin of course. (Latter probably isn't possible. ) but locking would be an improvement IMO.

Guidelines suggest starting another thread elsewhere if discussing an ad. While buyer beware is desired, slagging off a perfectly good sale ad isn't on IMO.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 June 2015, 15:41:30 »

Ultimately that's what will stand though as admin have to deal with it.
I'm almost offended. You should know as well as anyone that we try to be as democratic as possible, whenever possible.

But I think car sale ads should be locked once posted. If possible only accessed by the op to update details or if sold etc. Or by admin of course. (Latter probably isn't possible. ) but locking would be an improvement IMO.
Valid idea :y. One I think was discussed by the admin team several years ago, though at the time rejected based on 2 reasons - trying to keep all discussions of that car in one place, and also to stop deals going behind the scenes (we used to have a problem with sellers effectively doing blind auctions via PM (both cars and parts), which the admins couldn't see, and we felt was unfair to buyers).  But certainly one to reconsider.

Guidelines suggest starting another thread elsewhere if discussing an ad. While buyer beware is desired, slagging off a perfectly good sale ad isn't on IMO.
Does the location of the slag-off thread matter?  Unless there are real concerns about a vehicle, there shouldn't be any slag-off threads IMHO.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 June 2015, 15:51:22 »

1 offended?  Bolleeeerx ;D ;) fact is, if admin can't/won't/shouldn't/couldn't deal with implementation then it won't work. No matter how democratic. Therefore democracy takes a back seat. ....Top gear style ;D

2 Which reminds me. Does the site, any site, have a responsibility to deal with disputes? And does a site have to get involved to the level oof does? What's the basic criteria? If any? If people want to agree a sale off site or privately then the thought occurs that's less responsibility for admin to police.

3 agreed. And yet it's left unchecked, in its current form. A looooong standing one that. It's negative to sales so might explain why.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 June 2015, 15:58:06 »

Re parts. The number of sticky threads blocks a lot  of page 1. While the guidelines ask people not to hog page 1 with numerous threads of their own. This seems rather at odds with the guidelines.

Seems to me a lot of those stickies have a proper place in the recomended suppliers section. Especially as the ac sticky and omega breakers sticky are posted by members of the admin team.

Again, regardless of the reality,  this "appears" to be a way of minimising the number of active threads in that section. I say again, for fear of offending (;D)  "APPEARS" as in outwardly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.