Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Economics of a new car  (Read 16213 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: The Economics of a new car
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2015, 15:56:22 »

I think the way you are meant to look at it is, effectively the £164 a month for ever, and always have a 'new' car.

Start paying for this one, at end of 4 years give it back and start paying £164 a month for the next one.
Repeat infinitum.

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2015, 16:17:42 »

Better buying on HP rather than a PCP, but even then you're chucking money away unless, as Zirk suggests, you can claim the costs back...

And it doesn't take much of a hiccup and you're dropped right in the shit... doesn't much matter if that's a fault prang or another baby either :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2015, 16:31:54 »

I think the way you are meant to look at it is, effectively the £164 a month for ever, and always have a 'new' car.

Start paying for this one, at end of 4 years give it back and start paying £164 a month for the next one.
Repeat infinitum.

This would be a more attractive option if you gave the car back after 12 months and got a 'new' one. :y

.....oh and £64 a month rather than £164.

.....oh........and all servicing included in that £64.

« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 16:34:19 by Doctor Opti »

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2015, 16:43:04 »

Ok, since you are asking. My friend claims mileage on his work related trips. Contract dictates car must be less than 5 years old. So any Omega is out of the question.

So he decides to buy above car as per above plan. That works out to a cost of £5.46 per day over the first 4 years. No MOTs to worry about. Breakdown cover included for the first 12 months inc european recovery. Reasonably spacious hatch, smells nice as opposed to a 12 years old banger Omega like mine. Doesnt drip oil or leak from the sunroof like mine. Doesnt need to spend hours on an internet forum looking for help to sort out a variety of problems. In return he gets 50ppm as business mileage.

Could you suggest an alternative? That isnt more than 3 years old (otherwise he would have to change his car in 2 years time). Could he rent a car for £5.46 a day? He could perhaps lease but I dont think he would save much if any at all.

Some things work for some people. Just because you prefer to curtail your expenditure on your car does not mean every one has to follow the same path in life. People can choose what they want to buy and at what price. Not everyone wants to have an unreliable 12 year old banger and get their hands dirty every weekend.

My best mate has just purchased a 911 GT3 RS. No finance involved. But he is happy with the car/price/maintenance costs etc. Just because I cannot afford the same car does not make his purchase wrong in any way or form.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2015, 16:50:09 »

Cheap and easy car finance here in the US where No Money Down, 72 month 0% deals are common!  :) 

Which accounts for all those new and shiney pickups and SUV's  :y

Hmmm cheap and easy finance in The States...... Haven't we seen this before?  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2015, 17:05:18 »

My 2.2 DTi ...

£180 purchase price 1 yr ago

Since then
- £150 clutch
- £40 pas pump and belt

Otherwise it's cost me next to zilch over the last 20k miles :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 July 2015, 17:57:04 »

Cheap and easy car finance here in the US where No Money Down, 72 month 0% deals are common!  :) 

Hmmm cheap and easy finance in The States...... Haven't we seen this before?  ::)

Ah a nice big V8 pickup and cheap fuel , life dont get any better  :)
Omegatitis

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 July 2015, 19:27:45 »

Can you get easy terms for buying houses as well? Now here's a suggestion, why don't the Democrats pass a law making the banks lend on the same easy terms for buying a house to anybody regardless of their earnings and credit record, so they have a stake in the housing market. To cover the odd bad loan they could put a load together as a Collateralized Debt Obligation (CDO) and as most will perform brilliantly to cover the odd one that doesn't the banks can then sell them as AAA rated debt! What could possibly go wrong? :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 July 2015, 19:40:55 »

Can you get easy terms for buying houses as well? Now here's a suggestion, why don't the Democrats pass a law making the banks lend on the same easy terms for buying a house to anybody regardless of their earnings and credit record, so they have a stake in the housing market. To cover the odd bad loan they could put a load together as a Collateralized Debt Obligation (CDO) and as most will perform brilliantly to cover the odd one that doesn't the banks can then sell them as AAA rated debt! What could possibly go wrong? :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds vaguely familiar..... ;)

badmuver

« Reply #24 on: 17 July 2015, 20:38:58 »

I have never bought a new car couldn't afford the payment's , this is the newest car i have ever owned (01) and i will keep it till its dies and, i will get another one (maybe a bigger engine) will be a bigger engine  :y.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 July 2015, 21:11:17 »

2nd car I ever had was a [well] used Mk3 Zephyr4 and I bought it on finance-after all it was up for sale at £99!! Finace lasted 3yrs. car lasted 2yrs!!Swore then that I'd never use finance to buy another car and I never have.However as said elsewhere for some people it works,others of course finance them just to have the newest/shiniest car on the street.Whatever the reason for or against it's each to their own I guess.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 July 2015, 22:20:43 »

Ok, since you are asking. My friend claims mileage on his work related trips. Contract dictates car must be less than 5 years old. So any Omega is out of the question.

So he decides to buy above car as per above plan. That works out to a cost of £5.46 per day over the first 4 years. No MOTs to worry about. Breakdown cover included for the first 12 months inc european recovery. Reasonably spacious hatch, smells nice as opposed to a 12 years old banger Omega like mine. Doesnt drip oil or leak from the sunroof like mine. Doesnt need to spend hours on an internet forum looking for help to sort out a variety of problems. In return he gets 50ppm as business mileage.

Could you suggest an alternative? That isnt more than 3 years old (otherwise he would have to change his car in 2 years time). Could he rent a car for £5.46 a day? He could perhaps lease but I dont think he would save much if any at all.

Some things work for some people. Just because you prefer to curtail your expenditure on your car does not mean every one has to follow the same path in life. People can choose what they want to buy and at what price. Not everyone wants to have an unreliable 12 year old banger and get their hands dirty every weekend.

My best mate has just purchased a 911 GT3 RS. No finance involved. But he is happy with the car/price/maintenance costs etc. Just because I cannot afford the same car does not make his purchase wrong in any way or form.

Of course not. If somebody wants a Porsche gt3 then bloody go for it I say. But, I'd also still say, don't buy new. As said by the guys previously, "unless it's a business decision" type of thing. :)

Arguably given our roads he'd still be better off with an omega for example, but if you have the passion for a car and the cash, damn right. :y

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2015, 22:49:07 »

unless of course when you rise in the morning, open the curtains & gaze across the road at the neighbours new red mini & with a resentful sneer say "He`s  only bought her that new car, cos she`s threatened to leave him twice since christmas"  :o  How the hell does she know that ???

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2015, 23:12:23 »

A new small car would not impress swmbo, she only want's an Omega or a Mitsubishi Gallant V6...............she's quite cheap, doesn't even drink much when we go out..... :y :y

Tried her with a Mazda6 she would not even go and look at it..... ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 July 2015, 23:27:24 »

If nobody bought/leased a new car every x years, there'd be no 2nd hand cars  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.