Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake master cylinder  (Read 6682 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Brake master cylinder
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2015, 21:34:55 »

Can't remember, I think yes, but will check. Is this a good or bad sign?
If the pedal sinks when the brakes are applied but you are not losing fluid then that does point to the seals in the master cylinder (so not ideal)

Good servo assistance tends to amplify any sponginess  because you can apply more brake pressure without pressing very hard on the pedal. Try pressing the pedal without the engine running to feel what a rock hard pedal feels like (try it while moving and needing to stop to feel what brown trousers feel like  ;D)

I think Chris is suggesting that you check things that are needed to stop safely but which make the pedal feel harder when they are not right.

I think you should look at flushing all the brake fluid from the system then bleeding the ABS pump and/or replacing the brake flexi hoses if you don't get a result from servicing the master cylinder. It is quite startling how much the hoses can swell during a brake test but people don't give them a second thought.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 July 2015, 22:19:21 »

Strange if the hoses are degraded, as the brakes are exactly the the same, slightly spongy, despite the works mentioned, as when I bought it 4 years ago at 48k, and it is now only 57k. I'm inclined to think it is leaking seals somewhere but will check the vac for leaks. My TD which is 2 years older on 126k has rock solid brakes! :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2015, 22:20:17 »

Bah. Sorry. Andy making more sense here. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2015, 22:23:58 »

Can't remember, I think yes, but will check. Is this a good or bad sign?
If the pedal sinks when the brakes are applied but you are not losing fluid then that does point to the seals in the master cylinder (so not ideal)

Good servo assistance tends to amplify any sponginess  because you can apply more brake pressure without pressing very hard on the pedal. Try pressing the pedal without the engine running to feel what a rock hard pedal feels like (try it while moving and needing to stop to feel what brown trousers feel like  ;D)

I think Chris is suggesting that you check things that are needed to stop safely but which make the pedal feel harder when they are not right.

I think you should look at flushing all the brake fluid from the system then bleeding the ABS pump and/or replacing the brake flexi hoses if you don't get a result from servicing the master cylinder. It is quite startling how much the hoses can swell during a brake test but people don't give them a second thought.

I should have mentioned, I have no worries about stopping, and if I only had the one car would probably not have noticed the difference, it just requires more pressure than the TD, and feels slightly spongy. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2015, 15:55:57 »

It might be worth bearing in mind that the TD and V6 have very different vacuum sources to power the servo. TD uses a vacuum pump, and V6 the engine maifold vacuum. It's entirely possible that this gives a different level of assistance in the first place.

If you have leaking seals, you should be able to press the pedal, and feel it slowly creep down over time as fluid leaks past the seal. If this doesn't happen, I'd say the seals are probably fine.

The other possibilities (no creeping pedal) are air in the system somewhere or bulging flexible pipes, as has been mentioned.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2015, 09:24:45 »

It might be worth bearing in mind that the TD and V6 have very different vacuum sources to power the servo. TD uses a vacuum pump, and V6 the engine maifold vacuum. It's entirely possible that this gives a different level of assistance in the first place.

If you have leaking seals, you should be able to press the pedal, and feel it slowly creep down over time as fluid leaks past the seal. If this doesn't happen, I'd say the seals are probably fine.

The other possibilities (no creeping pedal) are air in the system somewhere or bulging flexible pipes, as has been mentioned.

I assume this is with engine running Kevin? :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2015, 09:29:32 »

Just to add a question (which may help the OP) - are all master cylinders the same/interchangeable? Just wondering if a low mileage 2003 3.2 would bang straight on an L reg 2.0 8v etc... ?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2015, 09:30:20 »

Engine off I think... pump pedal until solid, then press and hold. If it softens or sinks further the seals are shot allowing for the two exceptions given above :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2015, 09:33:25 »

Just to add a question (which may help the OP) - are all master cylinders the same/interchangeable? Just wondering if a low mileage 2003 3.2 would bang straight on an L reg 2.0 8v etc... ?

I seem to remember the design of them being different and requiring the pipes to be moved/extended.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2015, 09:35:59 »

Hmmm, ok.  :) FLs have a brake boost feature, don't they? Something that gives a shorter stopping distance? Or is it just in a larger Servo, perhaps?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2015, 09:41:18 »

I seem to remember the design of them being different and requiring the pipes to be moved/extended.
The differences primarily being whether three or four channel ABS and piston size being different according to both age and application iirc :-\

Haynes gives basic specs and without looking, different for pre, mid and post facelift and also for engine variation... so age and fuel both play a part ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2015, 09:42:30 »

Hmmm, ok.  :) FLs have a brake boost feature, don't they? Something that gives a shorter stopping distance? Or is it just in a larger Servo, perhaps?
Two stage master cylinder, but bear in mind my previous post :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 July 2015, 09:56:29 »

Diagnostic testing:
Engine off pedal is firm.
Start engine with pedal pressed, pedal sinks slowly and applies brakes.
Pump pedal to firm it up, but fails to hold firmly and still sinks.
Braking hard while driving, car stops fine but requires more pressure than I would like.

I think its seals somewhere.

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 21 July 2015, 10:03:17 »

Diagnostic testing:
Engine off pedal is firm. Does it stay firm if held down?

Start engine with pedal pressed, pedal sinks slowly and applies brakes. Normal, due to vacuum assistance.

Pump pedal to firm it up, but fails to hold firmly and still sinks. Normal, due to vacuum assistance.

Braking hard while driving, car stops fine but requires more pressure than I would like. A misconception, bourne out by driving cars with greater levels of assistance. These are perceived to have better brakes because the initial bite is sharper... also a misconception.

I think its seals somewhere. Replace fluid and bleed thoroughly. Report back.
;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 July 2015, 10:22:22 »

Diagnostic testing:
Engine off pedal is firm. Does it stay firm if held down?Yes

Start engine with pedal pressed, pedal sinks slowly and applies brakes. Normal, due to vacuum assistance. :-\

Pump pedal to firm it up, but fails to hold firmly and still sinks. Normal, due to vacuum assistance.Hmm, OK, but does not feel right

Braking hard while driving, car stops fine but requires more pressure than I would like. A misconception, bourne out by driving cars with greater levels of assistance. These are perceived to have better brakes because the initial bite is sharper... also a misconception.Hard to describe, but please accept that 60 years driving experience tells me that the brakes on this car are abnormally spongy

I think its seals somewhere. Replace fluid and bleed thoroughly. Report back.Already done, see post#3
;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.