Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit of homework, Project E  (Read 37659 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
A bit of homework, Project E
« on: 16 September 2015, 16:27:59 »

Some may be aware of a little bit of DIY I have been undertaking for a little while so I thought I would post a few photos.

Progress has been dictated by the weather and how much spare time I have, the project is to remove the ageing (read crap) conservatory on the back of the house and replace it with something a bit more substantial.

So, first job, get rid of the offending problem

Interior stripped

Ah that's better!

Next its time to dig the footings, and this was a challenge as it was all by hand through some chuffing hard soil and infill which required a pick for most of it:

Deep:

And Deeper still:

In fact 1.8m deep......all by hand and wheeled to skips out the front in a barrow.

So footings dug and signed off by building control, next its filling them in again, first with 10 tons of concrete (mixed on site) and layers of foundation blocks (4 off):

A visit from TB helped with this task (Thanks!) which is back breaking working in a trench!

Before adding four course of brick to the outside and a course of brick and blocks inside to get to floor and DPC level:

You can also see in the photo that I found the main water feed to the house which had to be moved (temporary feed following the move visible in the photo). In addition, the main house has a block n beam floor so the floor vents needed extending under the new extension slab (hence the drain pipes visible in the photo)

Next we needed drains sorting, both sewage and storm so more holes and pipe....!

Drains installed and signed off (32m of pipe used, two chambers, one back access gulley, rodding eyes etc etc)

Next job, dig out floor:

Before laying and compacting the MOT Type 1 sub base:

Then down with the DPM and reinforcing :

Before a concrete pour:

And this is where we are today, walls up and roof structure being built:

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of homework, Project E
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2015, 16:32:22 »

Looking good there Mark, and looks like bloody hard work. :y

Take it you got planning permission.  ;) ;D

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2015, 16:37:52 »

Yes Mark...coming on well :y
Mind you, swmbo would have been quite happy with the one you have demolished ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2015, 16:48:19 »

I have done this type of work, Mark, and can only congratulate you on the amount of hard work you have put in. At the planning stage, it is easy to visualise what needs doing and the order in which it needs doing. But when it's time to get down and dirty, a lot (most) people get fed up and the old chestnuts "near enough" and "that'll do" start to creep in. You have the patience of a saint, lad, Well done.  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2015, 16:50:18 »

Looking good there Mark, and looks like bloody hard work. :y

Take it you got planning permission.  ;) ;D

Dam, forgot that one  :y

The planning is a bargain at £150, its the building control that hurts!  :-[ ??? ;D :D :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2015, 16:52:19 »

I have done this type of work, Mark, and can only congratulate you on the amount of hard work you have put in. At the planning stage, it is easy to visualise what needs doing and the order in which it needs doing. But when it's time to get down and dirty, a lot (most) people get fed up and the old chestnuts "near enough" and "that'll do" start to creep in. You have the patience of a saint, lad, Well done.  :y

Its taken a while to get to this stage and I got a couple of brick layers to do the walls from DPC upwards to move it on a bit.

The challenge is to get the roof on in October so its dry, then the internal work starts with steels, wall removal, insulation (floor and roof), under floor wet heating and screed etc etc etc

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2015, 16:53:53 »

You remind me of Fred Dibnah, it that good...or bad?  ;D ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2015, 16:58:43 »

Wow! You've been busy..

.. and significantly more successful than the guy opposite me, who is having a "professional" job done.  ::)

Architect failed to appreciate that there was a shared sewer run right along the line of one of the walls, so a cantilever had to be constructed, then he failed to appreciate that roof tiles have mass, when specifying the supporting structure. Just part of a catalogue of errors. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2015, 17:08:29 »

Yes Mark...coming on well :y
Mind you, swmbo would have been quite happy with the one you have demolished ;D

Funny enough, when we first moved in we were to.

Its when you then have to dump shed loads of energy in to keep it warm, it gets to hot in the summer, it starts to age and the plastic becomes brittle, its loud in the rain. Then throw in the fact that you have to keep an external door between it and the main house for insurance/security and building regs purposes

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2015, 17:13:43 »

Wow! You've been busy..

.. and significantly more successful than the guy opposite me, who is having a "professional" job done.  ::)

Architect failed to appreciate that there was a shared sewer run right along the line of one of the walls, so a cantilever had to be constructed, then he failed to appreciate that roof tiles have mass, when specifying the supporting structure. Just part of a catalogue of errors. ::)

The latter is easy to work out, find your snow load (look on a building regs map), take your loading for the tiles, take your wind loading, add in felt/membrane and batten loading.

The snow load tells you which table to look at, add the rest up to give the column, check the span and the timber size is give....dead easy.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2015, 17:31:42 »

Wow! You've been busy..

The latter is easy to work out, find your snow load (look on a building regs map), take your loading for the tiles, take your wind loading, add in felt/membrane and batten loading.

The snow load tells you which table to look at, add the rest up to give the column, check the span and the timber size is give....dead easy.
Yep.......Fred Dibhah.......deffo....

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2015, 18:01:03 »

That's some big holes and a lot of concrete!  :y                                                   I trust Mrs DTM is alive and well?  :o  :-\  :D  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2015, 18:23:39 »

When done can you replace my conservatory?  :D

Looks fantastic  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2015, 18:45:09 »

Is it too late to bury someone under that?......

Ron.

Oh, bloody brilliant job, by the way!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2015, 21:30:13 »

Wow! You've been busy..

You'd have thought so, especially for someone who does it every day of the week, but the roofers turned up and wouldn't start work because they spotted the mistake straight away. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.