Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit of homework, Project E  (Read 37648 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of homework, Project E
« Reply #165 on: 01 June 2016, 12:25:04 »

That's looking smart, Mark!
Well done!   :y :y

Thanks, getting there......slowly!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 01 June 2016, 18:11:33 »

Gas gets sorted at the weekend at which point the cooker will be fitted.
Mrs DTM will have you slaving away over that as son as its in :P.

See, you did it all wrong, you should have finished the boys only room next door first ;)

Looks stunning though :y...  ...and even more impressive that its mostly DIY.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 02 June 2016, 18:51:37 »

Further progress with a functional kitchen!

Water and waste sorted, water softener refitted, sink commissioned, outside tap sorted, dishwasher in, wine cooler in, fridge in and connected to electric and water, wiring done and tested (not signed off as done by me thus far!).

Gas gets sorted at the weekend at which point the cooker will be fitted.

Looks very nice that Mark, very nice indeed  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 02 June 2016, 20:08:36 »

I rewired my house in 1975, and South West Electricity checked it and signed it off. I had a man build me a new garage in 1991, and wired that myself too.
I understand the law changed in the last ten years, making amateur wiring a bit more difficult. It is still allowed however, though electricians don't publicise this fact. Under current regulations DIY owners may do their own wiring, so long as they advise the local authority of their plans beforehand. The local authority is then obliged, at its expense, to iinspect the completed job and sign it off.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 03 June 2016, 08:09:10 »

I rewired my house in 1975, and South West Electricity checked it and signed it off. I had a man build me a new garage in 1991, and wired that myself too.
I understand the law changed in the last ten years, making amateur wiring a bit more difficult. It is still allowed however, though electricians don't publicise this fact. Under current regulations DIY owners may do their own wiring, so long as they advise the local authority of their plans beforehand. The local authority is then obliged, at its expense, to iinspect the completed job and sign it off.

Close, you have to pay for building regs and then they may (and it varies with location and authority) inspect and test.  :y

So sadly not totally at their expense, in my case its all to the latest regs (I even did de-rating calcs and checked volt drop at ring extremities......two things I am yet to find a sparky be able to do!) plus some as I am still a great believer in pipe work earthing which is no longer such a must. Final step will be a test of the consumer box and hand the results to the BC (I have already tested that which has been done thus far and its well within code).

The most silly part of Part P is that you could re-wire a whole house and get past the regs as minor work, and more critically, circuit repair, is allowed!.....so do the re-wire over a whole year doing little bits at a time........

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 03 June 2016, 09:05:40 »

Looks great Mark, Almost over the line now.

I suspect my OCD in such matters would have made me centre the window, skylight, island and sink all along the same line.

Oh and I'd probably have moved the garden swing as well  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 03 June 2016, 10:20:29 »

Looks great Mark, Almost over the line now.

I suspect my OCD in such matters would have made me centre the window, skylight, island and sink all along the same line.

Oh and I'd probably have moved the garden swing as well  ;D

A yes there is a story behind that......

The skylight and windows should have been in line and consequently the sink also.

However, I had a couple of brick layers in to chuck the walls up whilst we were at the Newent meet and they screwed up, the window got built one brick to far to the right (it should have aligned with the window on the first floor) which would have kept everything pretty much aligned.

Hence a design compromise had to be made and in this case it was to fit a wider Velux (so as to get some transitional alignment between the upstairs and downstairs windows), I didn't fancy ripping the completed wall, soldier course and lintel down at the time.

Of course the drains were already fitted which influenced the sink position (its adjusted as far as it can be and the bit where you actually stand to wash up is pretty close to the window centre).

In reality the larger velux has been brilliant and the layout works. :y

I always find the only issues I have are where I pay others to do work for me!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 03 June 2016, 13:58:57 »

How true about "I always find the only issues I have are where I pay others to do work for me!"

Had some garage doors made up for a new garage we built for trailer and tools storage. The metalista ( metalworker ) arrived and they were 30 cm to narrow for the opening. I was there when he measured too. Three days later he was back with them remade, with a builder ( to help instal and mix mortar to hold the fixings in.) I had to ask him to remake one fixing as the metal prong was proud of our finished surface!. The others he had gobbered a mountain of mortar over "to make it stronger". I levelled those off too.

Got to say Mark, it is looking pretty good. :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 04 June 2016, 15:36:42 »

Close, you have to pay for building regs and then they may (and it varies with location and authority) inspect and test.  :y

So sadly not totally at their expense, in my case its all to the latest regs (I even did de-rating calcs and checked volt drop at ring extremities......two things I am yet to find a sparky be able to do!) plus some as I am still a great believer in pipe work earthing which is no longer such a must. Final step will be a test of the consumer box and hand the results to the BC (I have already tested that which has been done thus far and its well within code).

The most silly part of Part P is that you could re-wire a whole house and get past the regs as minor work, and more critically, circuit repair, is allowed!.....so do the re-wire over a whole year doing little bits at a time........
My friend assures me the free wiring inspection is an obligation on the local authority. I think it is in Part P. here is his reply.
Hi Terry,

He is right that you have to pay for building control (regs), but I assume that he did that for his extension. There is no further charge. It doesn't depend on location and authority as it is a national obligation, but some authorities try to get out of it.

Chris

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 08 September 2016, 09:02:38 »

Blimey, its been that long since an update!

So, it would appear that good plasterers are hard to get at the moment but one is coming at the end of the month to complete all the plastering work.

All the 'man cave walls are plasterboard ready and the old kitchen dining room is almost fully prepared as well.

Pocket door kit arrives today which will be fitted at the weekend.

That then leaves the only major job as the last of the under floor heating........xmas finish.....maybe!

aaronjb

« Reply #175 on: 08 September 2016, 09:18:17 »

Pocket door kit arrives today which will be fitted at the weekend.

Best thing we fitted as part of the bathroom remodel at my last place! (Had to move a wall slightly anyway so took it down and rebuilt it in metal stud w/ the pocket door) All doors should be pocket doors..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 08 September 2016, 09:47:42 »

All doors should be pocket doors..
They do save a lot of space :y

A mate, years ago, fitted sliding doors (not pocket doors) upstairs when he made an extra bedroom at his gaff, which gave the space, but his mum struggled with action to open and close them - wonder if that's a reason they are not the norm, esp as houses are getting smaller and smaller.

:-\
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 08 September 2016, 09:49:57 »

finish.....maybe!
I might need CANdi again in a month or so, so when I've finished bro's next shop refit, might make an excuse to pop up and be nosey see you ;D
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #178 on: 08 September 2016, 10:01:37 »

wonder if that's a reason they are not the norm, esp as houses are getting smaller and smaller.

Nah, I reckon it's more down to the same reason modern cars are all made of fail. Cost.

Probably costs what, £25 to hang a standard plain internal door (likely less for a big building company), while a pocket door is likely to cost 4-5 times that..

Also not sure they pass fire regs as fire doors?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 08 September 2016, 10:06:46 »

Probably costs what, £25 to hang a standard plain internal door (likely less for a big building company), while a pocket door is likely to cost 4-5 times that..
You're probably right :y.  Though if builders could save a load of space and make a property take less space, the additional few hundred quid could be quite cheap?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.