Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric back on  (Read 5135 times)

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
Electric back on
« on: 28 December 2015, 00:20:54 »

Our electric went off Boxing day at about 9.00 because of the flooding in Rochdale. About 18-20,000 homes left without power. Even the mobile phone service went off for a few hours.

Came back on about 22.30 tonight 37hrs later, big generator now parked next to our substation.

There are about a dozen or so emergency ones running around the area as the main substation was overrun with water, even though in 2010 it has had £468k spent protecting it from that 1 in 200 year flooding event  ::). Only took 5  :-X

Luckily daughter the other side of town still had power so all freezer stuff transported there but lost a fridge full of food stuff

Earlier on today there was a burger van touring the area giving free burgers, etc for those without power, nice touch I thought
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
Re: Electric back on
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2015, 00:28:41 »

Living down here in Bristol we never get these dreadful problems thankfully, but my heart goes out to all that seemingly have to endure these floods year in year out now. Seeing all the news feeds makes me feel so useless hope you are able to get back to some kind of normality soon.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2015, 00:33:38 by SteveAvfc. »
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2015, 12:06:29 »

Grim in a civilised country. My heart goes out to those actually flooded but even losing electric for such a long time is bad. No heating ? Lost frozen or fridge foods.

Hope it hasn't put too much of a damper on Xmas.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2015, 12:44:32 »

Grim in a civilised country. My heart goes out to those actually flooded but even losing electric for such a long time is bad. No heating ? Lost frozen or fridge foods.

Can't see that it being a civilised country make that much difference really. Water is water, and it's got to go somewhere. Look at America over Christmas, utter devastation.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2015, 13:01:16 »

Maybe, but what was the £486k spent on? One in 200 year? Methinks someone got the calculations wrong. Bit like buildings still going up elsewhere on flood plains......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2015, 13:01:47 »

Can't see that it being a civilised country make that much difference really. Water is water, and it's got to go somewhere. Look at America over Christmas, utter devastation.

...........speaking of civilisation. Has electricity and indoor toilets reached Barnsley yet? :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2015, 13:03:17 »

Yes. I hope it all ends well, Phil.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2015, 19:22:06 »

I bought a cheap generator 30 odd years ago, and it has more than paid for itself on the rare occasions it is required. :y

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2015, 22:14:00 »

Thanks for the thoughts but no 'leccy' and a fridge full of stuff lost is insignificant compared to what some people are having to deal with.

I bought a cheap generator 30 odd years ago, and it has more than paid for itself on the rare occasions it is required. :y

Seriously be looking into this at the mo, gave up the chance to buy one a few months ago  :o wont again
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2015, 22:19:15 »

Thanks for the thoughts but no 'leccy' and a fridge full of stuff lost is insignificant compared to what some people are having to deal with.

Seriously be looking into this at the mo, gave up the chance to buy one a few months ago  :o wont again

How do you connect it to the house electrics then? Do you use some kind of change over switch? ie you can only have the genny supplying the house or the grid ..... and not both

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2015, 22:26:24 »

How do you connect it to the house electrics then? Do you use some kind of change over switch? ie you can only have the genny supplying the house or the grid ..... and not both

Interested in this. I'm sure my neighbour had some sort of reverse plug that he just plugged into a 3 pin plug. But he's a complete self-abuser and probably has it wrong :-X
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2015, 22:31:12 »

My parents house has a generator which is wired into the ring main via a change over switch,doesn't feed the street,just there place.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2015, 22:31:47 »

Interested in this. I'm sure my neighbour had some sort of reverse plug that he just plugged into a 3 pin plug. But he's a complete self-abuser and probably has it wrong :-X

a 13 pin plug on either end of a cable would do it!  8)  ;D ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2015, 22:33:11 »

All I've done is to put an external waterproof socket on the outside wall ....  runs to a double 13 pin socket on the inside wall  which is not connected to anything else .. purely the outside socket... when the power fails 2 Kw generator is run in the greenhouse with one lead to the aforementioned socket and one long lead into the garage. Garage lead runs fridge and freezer; house lead to 2 internal sockets with a 4-way in one to run a couple of lights, and radio and a 1 kw heater in the other socket. If the power is off for long or  1KW is not enough heat.. then the big gas heater gets wheeled in from the shed ...

Not an all-singing solution .. but gives light and heat in the main room, and we've never been off grid longer than 6 hours ... so far !!!

I know you can fit special switches that disconnect from the mains input and allow the genny to run everything .. but a 2 KW genny might start to struggle !!

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2015, 22:34:49 »

a 13 pin plug on either end of a cable would do it!  8)  ;D ;D

I've done that at work in an emergency but not recommended !!
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.