Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake pipe replacement  (Read 8602 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pipe replacement
« Reply #30 on: 03 April 2016, 11:04:22 »

Should have said "don't currently need and can't njustify"  but my point stands ;)

Every spare penny is being split between the two Omegas and the wedding fund at the moment... hence my tight northern ways are coming to the fore  ;D
Congratulations on your impending nuptials. I hope you are not spending vast sums on it. I went to a wedding of a great niece last weekend and it took for ever. Long church service with 5 hymns, 15 mile drive to wedding breakfast venue, drinks. photos, hanging around, then formal meal with preselected food and named place settings. At this point my wife and I sloped off, but my children hung around for a concert (?) performed by the bride's friends and a disco, getting home at 1a.m.
My wedding consisted of church service with 2 hymns, drinks and buffet in church hall, and guests able to drive home in daylight. That's all the guests wanted. It cost me about £500. I have a friend marrying off a daughter reckoning it will cost him £20,000 - madness.

Apologies for wandering off thread, it's on my mind at the moment.

relluf

« Reply #31 on: 03 April 2016, 11:12:06 »

I have found MOT testers happily fails cars for surface rust on brake pipes. If I then remove the rust with emery cloth and show the tester pipe is sound he will pass it. I have also seen a tester slapping grease on the brake pipes of a mate, then passing it. I now submit cars for test with all metal brake pipes greased. Does anyone know what the tester's manual says about this?

I am with terry on this school of thought, I don't consider them to be seriously corroded, a clean up with some emery paper may well suffice.
Handbrake cable was replaced last year along with adjustment of shoes etc ,I had a look at them all then and seemed to be ok.

As a small piece of advice Kate go to a small local (if you have one) MOT place, don't go back to Halfruads ,which is where I think you went(but may be wrong)
All the best

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 April 2016, 13:55:34 »

I have found MOT testers happily fails cars for surface rust on brake pipes. If I then remove the rust with emery cloth and show the tester pipe is sound he will pass it. I have also seen a tester slapping grease on the brake pipes of a mate, then passing it. I now submit cars for test with all metal brake pipes greased. Does anyone know what the tester's manual says about this?

Yes... Seems to be the latest trend. IIRC, the manual says that "the corrosion should reduce the pipe sidewall thickness by more than 50%" but I could be wrong. Realistically they should only fail on them if the tester can be certain of the reduction in pipe wall thickness - the only way to do that would be to cut it :-X ::)

Fortunately I don't have any of that with my tester... Completely understands and knows that I do all the work ;) :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 April 2016, 19:59:12 »

I am with terry on this school of thought, I don't consider them to be seriously corroded, a clean up with some emery paper may well suffice.
Handbrake cable was replaced last year along with adjustment of shoes etc ,I had a look at them all then and seemed to be ok.

As a small piece of advice Kate go to a small local (if you have one) MOT place, don't go back to Halfruads ,which is where I think you went(but may be wrong)
All the best

I'd never go back to Hellfrauds. Thay are a bunch of con merchants. :o

I'm going to try and clean the pipes up first. You are right, there's probably nothing wrong with them.

As for the Mot, there's a place near me in Kelly Bray so I think I'll go there.

All the best to you too Andy. :y

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 03 April 2016, 20:02:19 »

Stop whining, woman. Get someone who knows what they're doing, say....a man, to fix it for you, then you can wash his dirty clothes and make him a nice cup of tea.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 April 2016, 20:30:34 »

Stop whining, woman. Get someone who knows what they're doing, say....a man, to fix it for you, then you can wash his dirty clothes and make him a nice cup of tea.

I'll fix it myself. :y

I do need a man though as I want to practice my boxing skills. STEMO I'll use your face as a punchbag. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 03 April 2016, 20:48:16 »

I'll fix it myself. :y

I do need a man though as I want to practice my boxing skills. STEMO I'll use your face as a punchbag. ;D
Mmmmmmmm......I like it rough.... :-* :-* :-*

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 April 2016, 21:41:33 »

Slapped grease all over the brake pipes if both mine several years ago, road crap and mud stick to it, but don't show any rust. So far been ok with them  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 April 2016, 22:04:28 »

I had to replace the rear brake pipes on my first Omega, it was a real pita of a job. Not technical though, just very annoying, time consuming, and required a lot of patience.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 April 2016, 22:34:24 »

Apart from saving all the effort and expense of replacing steel pipes with copper, the original steel pipes are much stronger than copper. I have never had any trouble removing the rear calipers to service the handbrake with steel pipes, but I had a copper pipe break a few days after a handbrake service. Before I submit a car for MOT I take all the wheels off and grease all the steel brake pipes. It's a bit of a fag, but it's easier that submitting car for retest.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 April 2016, 10:55:28 »

Apart from saving all the effort and expense of replacing steel pipes with copper, the original steel pipes are much stronger than copper. I have never had any trouble removing the rear calipers to service the handbrake with steel pipes, but I had a copper pipe break a few days after a handbrake service. Before I submit a car for MOT I take all the wheels off and grease all the steel brake pipes. It's a bit of a fag, but it's easier that submitting car for retest.
  when I first bought this mig that I'm driving and looked at its mot it had an advisory which related to rear brake pipes that were greased up. it seems they didn't like it.

pernix

• Caerphilly
    • Omega 2.2 dti CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 April 2016, 12:19:29 »

if its just the rear brake pipes ie the ones running along the rear arms then it is an easy job and I would encourage you to do it
I have to replace my front to rear pipes and that is a job to far for me (its the getting the back high enough to run the left to right across the rear behind the subframe)
to be honest I am thinking along the lines of for me is it worth it total mot spend would be @ £3-400 and I know the geo needs setting so a spend of £500 looms

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 April 2016, 14:00:32 »

when I first bought this mig that I'm driving and looked at its mot it had an advisory which related to rear brake pipes that were greased up. it seems they didn't like it.
Not necessarily, just covering themselves. My previous tester would always advise 'cill covers fitted'. All Omegas have fitted cill covers, nothing unusual there. He was just saying he could not comment on their condition. Same applies to greasy brake pipes.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 April 2016, 18:28:52 »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 April 2016, 13:02:43 »

I had a look at the brake pipes and they don't look that bad:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CFCF2657E747879F!4221&authkey=!ADlkTXL2lv44g18&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg
Hard to judge from that picture, but you have little to lose by rubbing down that pipe with coarse glass paper and see how it comes up. If it comes up shiny and unpitted, take it back to the tester and he should pass it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.