Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for the "spirited" Omega drivers among us....  (Read 3835 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the "spirited" Omega drivers among us....
« Reply #15 on: 08 August 2016, 18:13:17 »

Don't mess with that Ford shite.....get yourself some 'Thunder from Down Under' :y :)
Agreed.

If you must get a fud, the baby engine one is as quick as the v8?, and cheaper to run.

Really???

I take it it's a small capacity turd blower? If so that's a no no. Petrol n/a for me
RIP Paul Lovejoy

ted_one

« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2016, 18:21:34 »

2.3 is turbo'd  0-60 5.9 seconds :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2016, 18:45:39 »

So I have changed my driving style quite a bit over the last little while. I've been putting my foot down pretty much everywhere I go. I don't usually drive with passengers unless it's a holiday or summat. But yesterday had two passengers in the car. Kid and adult. And my car seemed sluggish.

Once they got out the car performed exactly as it always does with just me.

So question really is how many passengers do you take before you notice the extra weight holding you back.

Note that the adult and kid were normal size and not fattys  ;D though same can't be said of me at 17.5 st  :-[

Certainly notice a change in my 2.5's if they are fully loaded - ie 4 adults and all the kit. I have always imagined a 3.0 or 3.2 would solve the problem  :y

Slightly more seriously the Auto box seem to struggle to be in the correct gear at the correct time under full load.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2016, 18:56:22 »

Certainly notice a change in my 2.5's if they are fully loaded - ie 4 adults and all the kit. I have always imagined a 3.0 or 3.2 would solve the problem  :y

It does; a 3.0 still cruises quite happily at 100mph with plenty left when loaded with 4 people and a bootful of booze luggage ;D  It doesn't make much difference to the economy either.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2016, 20:15:25 »

2.3 is turbo'd  0-60 5.9 seconds :y

Hmmm. Couldn't buy one without a v8 imo.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2016, 01:21:36 »

Don't think I've ever owned a car where I couldn't tell if the petrol tank was full or not.  But then I weigh 10.5 st so my weight is slowing the car down less to start off with.  Every car slows down noticably with passengers in my experience. Even 400bhp.

And for the love of god Webby... if you must insist on driving an old man's car ;) even if we all have to chip in a fiver... will you PLEASE get a 3.0 already!  :P  Either that or make Mark's franken-hybrid 3.2/2.6/3.0 thing!  :D

If you're a spirited driver having a full tank makes a difference - the rear wheels become a lot more stubborn when trying to get them out of line that's for certain!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2016, 09:47:27 »

There's definitely factions among Omega owners re: 2.5 and 3.0 on here.  :)

As for my old girl - and I suspect Mr The Bear will be of the same opinion - my car sounds nice, drives smooth, and moves with a nice warm feeling when you want to (though that may be the heated seats)  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2016, 12:17:33 »

There's definitely factions among Omega owners re: 2.5 and 3.0 on here:)

As for my old girl - and I suspect Mr The Bear will be of the same opinion - my car sounds nice, drives smooth, and moves with a nice warm feeling when you want to (though that may be the heated seats)  ;)

For everyday use the 2.5 is fine.  :y  Where the difference becomes really apparent is when they are loaded or towing, especially up long hills. Oh, and overtaking.  :y ;D
The most noticeable example of this to me, as it was a regular run with the caravan, is towing 1600kg of caravan up Telegraph Hill towards Torquay in Devon. It's not steep but it is quite long, which is the part that drags lesser cars down when towing.
Towing with my 2.5 elite, I'd hit the bottom of the incline at 60mph, nail it all the way to the top and if I was lucky I would be doing around 40mph as it levelled out again. This is regardless of which gear mode I chose.
Towing with my 3.2 elite, I'd hit the bottom of the incline at 60mph, nail it, overtake cars that were in my way, back off slightly for the curve at the top, smile at the speedo reading just under 70mph....err............I mean just under 60mph  ::) , and then ease it back off as the road levels. The difference between the two in pulling power up hills was a real eye opener.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 August 2016, 12:44:58 »

There's definitely factions among Omega owners re: 2.5 and 3.0 on here:)

For everyday use the 2.5 is fine.  :y  Where the difference becomes really apparent is when they are loaded or towing, especially up long hills. Oh, and overtaking.  :y ;D

Exactly right. And when I consider that there is no difference in the running costs, there is little to no difference in the fuel economy and when I bought mine 3.0 cars were slightly cheaper, I didn't see any reason to buy a 2.5. The only downside was I quickly realised that a manual 3.0 Elite estate was going to be very difficult to find ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.