Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exterior B-Pillar Trim removal - how?  (Read 2951 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Exterior B-Pillar Trim removal - how?
« on: 05 September 2016, 08:47:55 »

Need to swap my B-pillar trim. Anyone done it?

Being a bit swift jumping out yesterday, I think my belt loop must've caught the corner and snapped a chunk off!  :'(  :-[ Ah well, everything else on the car has been replaced, so might as well change this too!  :o

I've had a play and although it slides downward to remove, there's a clip at the top which I snapped off in doing so. It looks as it you either remove the gutter rail trim, then lever it up or out somehow to release this before sliding down, maybe. Can't find it anywhere on the web. I've got a spare awaiting on the spare Omega, but I don't want to snap this small internal clip off this one, too, in removing it.  Anyone any clue?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior B-Pillar Trim removal - how?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2016, 11:37:22 »

I haven't looked this up but if my memory serves me correctly, you slide it down about 1/2 inch and gently pull towards you but I am sure someone will be along with the right answer soon  ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2016, 11:42:01 »

That might do it, James, thanks. As I'd already rather skillfully snapped a corner off I was able to be a bit ham-fisted, and play about trying to remove it. That 'down a bit, then pull' method sounds logical. A bit like the door trims, sills, etc.

To be honest, I'm doubting anyone will know how on here, as you've have to be Lord High Emperor of the Morons to damage a flush-fitting piece of gloss plastic...like I did  8)!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2016, 12:06:23 »

I thought you knew everything!

Ah! You do, but you don't know that.   ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2016, 13:01:01 »

Haha. Nope, far from it. (unless you're speaking about Mr VT3000 above, who also has a very extensive knowledge about all things rwd and Vauxhall)

:)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2016, 13:35:43 »

Open both doors, insert a modest flat blade between the gutter trim and the top of the B pillar trim and pry the top out 1/4". Then simply slide it down and off :y

Refitting is the reverse without the prying bit :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2016, 13:57:42 »

Ahh, I see my missus' best butter knife is going to get put into service again!!  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2016, 14:17:42 »

Ahh, I see my missus' best butter knife is going to get put into service again!!  :y

This set( LINK ) is very useful, why is probably how Snap-on get away with charging 10 times as much for it.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2016, 14:58:53 »

Much appreciated Nick, that's on my Xmas list, now  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2016, 18:23:08 »

This set( LINK ) is very useful, why is probably how Snap-on get away with charging 10 times as much for it.

Looks very useful Nick, also this timing kit is cheap, do you know if it will do our V6's? http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=22091

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2016, 18:50:01 »

Looks very useful Nick, also this timing kit is cheap, do you know if it will do our V6's? http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=22091

Here it is with a V6 locking kit:

It has the locking wedges for the cam pulleys, but not the gauge or crank tool which are the important bits. So unless you're intending to do a couple of engines at a time, it isn't a cheap way of acquiring a kit.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2016, 08:51:22 »

How odd, having never really noticed it before, it was only the other day I saw one of the above kits with the sliders/wedges, now here it is again. As you say, you need the other locking parts, too.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2016, 11:40:22 »

How odd, having never really noticed it before, it was only the other day I saw one of the above kits with the sliders/wedges, now here it is again. As you say, you need the other locking parts, too.

It's been available from other sources for ages, but not at that price. I bought it when I was expecting to do a 2.2 last year, as it was only slightly more expensive than buying the VX only tools. I doubt I'll use any of the Japanese tools, but the Zetec ones will probably come in handy. As does this adjustable pulley-locking tool:

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2016, 11:46:34 »

Well, she's had to take her nan into A & E so I don't suppose she's going to fancy pinging the B-pillar off the spare Omega (which is up her nan's drive)

Some people can be so selfish!  :D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2016, 11:14:09 »

Here it is with a V6 locking kit:

It has the locking wedges for the cam pulleys, but not the gauge or crank tool which are the important bits. So unless you're intending to do a couple of engines at a time, it isn't a cheap way of acquiring a kit.

I thought it was too cheap to be useful. :( :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.