Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Viezu remap.  (Read 10792 times)

STEMO

Re: Viezu remap.
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2017, 12:21:57 »

The signum is souped-up to the maximum safe limit already. If there was more power to be had with the existing set up, GM would have done it.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 January 2017, 12:43:11 »

This I have done. No end of problems.

The eml light and limp mode at the most inappropriate times were never far away. Returned the car to 250 BHP /258 lb ft torque stock. No problems since.

How very odd. Not to mention disappointing!

I only mentioned it as it's very common on Saab 9-3's (same engine, and gearbox afaik) with very few issues (if any) reported. I suppose then my observation would be - what are you planning to do with 550bhp that you can't do with 500 ;).

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 January 2017, 13:55:18 »

This I have done. No end of problems.

The eml light and limp mode at the most inappropriate times were never far away. Returned the car to 250 BHP /258 lb ft torque stock. No problems since.

How very odd. Not to mention disappointing!

I only mentioned it as it's very common on Saab 9-3's (same engine, and gearbox afaik) with very few issues (if any) reported. I suppose then my observation would be - what are you planning to do with 550bhp that you can't do with 500 ;).

It's possible I may not even notice the difference, Jimmy.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2017, 08:32:28 by Marks DTM Calib »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2017, 14:14:58 »

Omega has enough trouble keeping its arse following in a straight line without extra power.
Not really noticed that, when using decent tyres.  I did have rather too much fun with some budget tyres on the Chavmobile for a few days, but had to remove them as simply too dangerous ;D
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2017, 14:48:46 »

Omega has enough trouble keeping its arse following in a straight line without extra power.
Not really noticed that, when using decent tyres.  I did have rather too much fun with some budget tyres on the Chavmobile for a few days, but had to remove them as simply too dangerous ;D

I had some Autogrips on the rear of mine when I first got it  :-X The back end didn`t need much of an excuse to try and overtake the front in any conditions >:(

2boxerdogs

« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2017, 19:23:19 »

Don't think I would ever get this done to a car of mine , always think it's better as it came out the factory. Do you really need a few extra BHP ? Always very sceptical about increased MPG claims.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2017, 21:32:37 »

Don't think I would ever get this done to a car of mine , always think it's better as it came out the factory. Do you really need a few extra BHP ? Always very sceptical about increased MPG claims.

I think it depends on what you mean by better. Car manufacturers have to make a model that fulfills a number of criteria  performance is one, but so are emissions, mpg claims, and making sure it's not faster than another car in the range (Porsche Cayman vs 911 being an example here).

When you have a car tuned/mapped you are freed from a number of those constraints so you can maximise other attributes. The safe potential is clearly there, otherwise there would be no manufacturer approved tuning houses (Brabus, Hirsch, AC Schnitzer, Mountune etc).

Now, one thing I'd never do is have a brand new model tuned, I'd always wait for a few other people to be the early adopters ;).

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2017, 08:35:27 »

Note to all - I have just wasted part of my life removing irrelevant and childish posts, please keep your squabbles for the playground.

Regarding the tuning Lord Opti, for that price you could get it done properly on a rolling road (or maybe even for slightly less) as that solution is nothing more than a best guess map for your vehicle.

I have also seen the 2.8 turbo, in all vehicle types, easily taken to silly figures but again, this was a proper re-map.  :y

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2017, 09:59:39 »

The signum is souped-up to the maximum safe limit already. If there was more power to be had with the existing set up, GM would have done it.

That statement couldn't be further form the truth

Signum (and elite spec Vectra) is 230 or 250bhp, the latter VXR Vectra is 280bhp, GM did up the power with the existing set up - its the middle management image of the Signum that meant there was never a VXR 'souped up' version, no mechanical reason

.....No end of problems.....

Which did you go for?

I've had a Bluefin on mine for close on 40k over 2 years now, I had to download the map that was on the car, emailed it over, they sent one back and away we went.

What a remap does highlight is components on their last legs, also the plug gap was changed on the later VXRs to 0.7mm, I changed and re-gapped  my plugs and its been fine ever since

Plus it runs a shed load better on higher octane fuel, I use Momentum99, when I have run it on standard BP or Shell and even on Vpower there is a noticeable stutter on hard acceleration on a very rare occasion but for the cost of 99 I'd rather not have the issue

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2017, 10:37:31 »

The VXR auto was downgraded to protect the slushbox. This is the mechanical limitation of the Signum/Vectra Elite... Only available as an auto :'(
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 January 2017, 10:56:18 »

I had some Autogrips on the rear of mine when I first got it  :-X The back end didn`t need much of an excuse to try and overtake the front in any conditions >:(

That's interesting. Is this something inherent to the particular design of the Omega? I have had several front engine RWD cars and never really encountered this behavior, even when running cheaper tyres.

What type of tyres are recommended?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2017, 13:23:37 »

That's interesting. Is this something inherent to the particular design of the Omega? I have had several front engine RWD cars and never really encountered this behavior, even when running cheaper tyres.

Those Autogrips were without doubt the worst tyres I`ve ever had, they even let go on a slip road from a motorway exit at 60mph, it was wet but no way should they have let go like that  :o

I had Goodyear F1 Asymetrical tyres on and found them ok, The Boy will disagree though through a couple of issues with them, I really liked the Dunlop Sportmaxx RT`s though.

Word of advise......DON`T ever start a tyre thread  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 January 2017, 13:51:51 »

Those Autogrips were without doubt the worst tyres I`ve ever had, they even let go on a slip road from a motorway exit at 60mph, it was wet but no way should they have let go like that  :o

I had Goodyear F1 Asymetrical tyres on and found them ok, The Boy will disagree though through a couple of issues with them, I really liked the Dunlop Sportmaxx RT`s though.

I see. OK, I won't. ;D

If the tyre subject is so polemical and the car is so sensitive to the type of tyres, then maybe it's better just to stick with the original tyres that came with the car? Or they direct descendant if they are no longer made. One would think Opel has done extensive tests to find the best tyres to pair with the car.(?)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 January 2017, 14:19:38 »

I see. OK, I won't. ;D

If the tyre subject is so polemical and the car is so sensitive to the type of tyres, then maybe it's better just to stick with the original tyres that came with the car? Or they direct descendant if they are no longer made. One would think Opel has done extensive tests to find the best tyres to pair with the car.(?)

The Omega isn`t tyre sensitive really, you just need good tyres,leave the budget ones alone if you`re going to be driving "enthusiastically".

The Goodyear issue with TB was manufacturing related.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 January 2017, 14:22:42 »

Autogrips with a little wear on them do become genuinely lethal on most cars when the roads become damp.  I had a lot of fun with them on the back, but no way would I allow Mrs TB to drive it.

Yeah, 3 out of 6 tyres actually failing isn't a good record.  I never found them particularly good on the Omega anyway, deficiencies being mediocre grip levels, and fairly high wear if driven briskly.  Mrs TB complains of wandering with the F1's on the front of TBE.

The first 2 sets of SportMaxx RT's I had were great until about 3mm left, when they do fall off a cliff from a pull/tramline point of view, and grip tails off at same time.  Slightly grippier, but not as confidence inspiring as the TT's, which maintained both grip and stability right down to bald, even in the wet.  The last set of RTs I had (and still have on the from of the Silver Bullet) weren't as good from new, so something has changed with them. Wore the rears out in the same length of time (10k), but lacked the grip.  Whats left on the front just squeal on demand, much to the amusement of that gixer bloke, and the shear dread of Mrs TB ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.