Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Iv fooked it i think  (Read 16388 times)

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
Re: Iv fooked it i think
« Reply #60 on: 27 February 2017, 19:31:41 »

Pleased you have someone to help now, would have been more than happy to call and see if I could help.  Unfortunately it's another five weeks before I'm passing Eastleigh, which is of no help at all.

Hope you get it sorted.

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 27 February 2017, 20:53:40 »

We shall see tomorro 👌🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 :y
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 27 February 2017, 21:46:20 »

Still planning to come over but just thinking this over - how did you end up 180 out?

One and only reason for asking is I'm thinking about likelihood of valves damage

I will bring compression tester :y

Guessing that he set to TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of TDC on the compression stroke.  :-\
Now you're muddling me. There is a TDC crank position for exhaust stroke and power stroke. Which stroke it is on depends upon the position of the cams. If you set the camshafts with the pulley marks aligned with the backplate marks and the crank pulley aligned with its line marker you can't be wrong. The cam sensor will tell the ECU which stroke it's on, and fire and inject accordingly.

So out by 360 degrees is not out at all. Out by 180 degrees  is bad news, but means having cams set to markers with crank line set the top, very careless.

Am I muddled?

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 27 February 2017, 21:50:13 »

Still planning to come over but just thinking this over - how did you end up 180 out?

One and only reason for asking is I'm thinking about likelihood of valves damage

Guessing that he set to TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of TDC on the compression stroke.  :-\
Now you're muddling me. There is a TDC crank position for exhaust stroke and power stroke. Which stroke it is on depends upon the position of the cams. If you set the camshafts with the pulley marks aligned with the backplate marks and the crank pulley aligned with its line marker you can't be wrong. The cam sensor will tell the ECU which stroke it's on, and fire and inject accordingly.

So out by 360 degrees is not out at all. Out by 180 degrees  is bad news, but means having cams set to markers with crank line set the top, very careless.

Am I muddled?

Good question well presented would be intrested to know :y
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 27 February 2017, 22:18:11 »

Am I muddled?

No, you are not muddled Terry. You are correct in what you say assuming that the belt was STILL IN PLACE during the set-up.  :y  With the crank marks aligned and the cams set to the alignment marks WITH THE BELT FITTED all will be fine............. but..............if the belt was removed with the cams set, and then somebody decides to rotate the crank to the alignment marks, they can end up on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. Highly unlikely in this case as it's more likely to happen if a belt has snapped.
In this case though, the OP admits that he'd set the cams with the crank pointer facing upwards, instead of downwards if I've understood this correctly. As two crank rotations are roughly one cam rotation the cams could not have been set correctly either in this case.  :-\  Which makes me think that the crank was rotated when the belt was off.

So, as you say, with the initial set-up carried out with the belt fitted there would be no issue. If however, the crank was rotated with the belt off, you could end up 180 out.

Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 22:22:16 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28 February 2017, 00:51:46 »

Am I muddled?

No, you are not muddled Terry. You are correct in what you say assuming that the belt was STILL IN PLACE during the set-up.  :y  With the crank marks aligned and the cams set to the alignment marks WITH THE BELT FITTED all will be fine............. but..............if the belt was removed with the cams set, and then somebody decides to rotate the crank to the alignment marks, they can end up on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. Highly unlikely in this case as it's more likely to happen if a belt has snapped.
In this case though, the OP admits that he'd set the cams with the crank pointer facing upwards, instead of downwards if I've understood this correctly. As two crank rotations are roughly one cam rotation the cams could not have been set correctly either in this case.  :-\  Which makes me think that the crank was rotated when the belt was off.

So, as you say, with the initial set-up carried out with the belt fitted there would be no issue. If however, the crank was rotated with the belt off, you could end up 180 out.

Hope that makes sense.

Having read my post above I note that my explanation regarding 180 out is still not that clear so I'll try again.   ;D

With the cambelt fitted, cams locked and aligned and the crank aligned all looks good. This would result in an easy belt change.  :y
Now, remove the cambelt with the cams still locked, rotate the crank 360 and refit the belt. All still looks good as the marks all line up but TDC is now on the exhaust stroke i.e. 180 out. As the crank has two rotations to the cams one rotation it would be out. Or am I reading this wrong?  :-\

However, the OP had the crank set to the wrong orientation to start with so had no chance.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 28 February 2017, 02:08:16 »

Having read my post above I note that my explanation regarding 180 out is still not that clear so I'll try again.   ;D

With the cambelt fitted, cams locked and aligned and the crank aligned all looks good. This would result in an easy belt change.  :y
Now, remove the cambelt with the cams still locked, rotate the crank 360 and refit the belt. All still looks good as the marks all line up but TDC is now on the exhaust stroke i.e. 180 out. As the crank has two rotations to the cams one rotation it would be out. Or am I reading this wrong?  :-\

However, the OP had the crank set to the wrong orientation to start with so had no chance.

Ignore my ramblings above.  :-[   I was trying to work out what the OP had done before we were told that the crank was 180 out to start with.  ::)
I see Terry's point now.  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 28 February 2017, 08:34:49 »

Am I muddled?

Hope that makes sense.

Never remove the cam belt and rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees. That will certainly bend valves as some valves will be open.

Safe valve condition check procedure is to set engine to TDC, i.e. cams aligned with back plate marks and crank also aligned. Then remove belt and turn crank 60 degrees clockwise to park pistons out of harms way. Then rotate each camshaft in turn 360 degrees and note if at any time it becomes slack; if it does, valve bending has taken place. If not, all is well. If all well, relign cam pulleys with marks and lock them, turn crank back to TDC and lock it, and proceed with belt fitting as normal.

Above assumes we are talking V6. If straight 4, turn crank back 90 degrees.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 28 February 2017, 09:17:15 »

The only thing that defines the difference between the exhaust and compression strokes is the position of the cams relative to the crank. It's not possible to have the crank incorrectly positioned in this respect. You can have the engine components in any position, then turn the crank to a "safe" position, turn the cams to align their markings, bring the crank up to TDC No.1  and fit the belt and it'll work.

The most important aspect is to protect the valves from damage hence we ordinarily lock the engine components in position at TDC No.1 and don't move anything while the belt is off. If something goes wrong, then the first thing to do is to turn the crank off TDC.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 28 February 2017, 09:18:26 »

Never remove the cam belt and rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees. That will certainly bend valves as some valves will be open.

This was the point that I tried, badly, to convey.  :y  My example was a 'what not to do' and merely to explain how quickly it can go pear shaped by rotating the crank to achieve the timing marks when not in a 'safe' position.  :y

The OP said in his first post that 'the crankshaft moves but the cams don't', hence my example of where it can all go wrong.  :y

The OP setting the crank 180 out in the first place hadn't crossed my mind at that point.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2017, 09:29:43 by YZ250 »

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 28 February 2017, 14:09:55 »

!!!!!UPDATE!!!!! IT IS NOT FOOKED

Had james who is a top bloke let loose on my issues and seriously an hour and half later the car is running a dream (ven better than before)

ANYONE who want the cambelt done on their car i HIGHLY reccomend JamesV6CDX and his magic hands 🙌

Im sure he will be along shortly to explain the tech terms but i am one happy customer

Thanks James Spot on 👌👌🤝🤝👍👍
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 28 February 2017, 16:48:21 »

Well done James another happy customer :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 28 February 2017, 17:00:07 »

Another OOF legend!   :y 8)

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #73 on: 28 February 2017, 17:13:33 »

That's a relief. Nice one James  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 28 February 2017, 17:14:42 »

Job jobbed :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.