Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Polish - Wax or Ceramic?  (Read 6980 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Car Polish - Wax or Ceramic?
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2020, 11:44:35 »

I've got The Tigra Of Cool to do a full detail on, its currently under 3 inches of leaves and bird droppings. I'll take photos and do a writeup of detailing if people want.

No point doing the MV6 until it's painted, and the ex plod is already clean...

That that would be really helpful, when can you post the writeup, assume your not to busy at the moment!!

On rest days at the moment, I'll see what I can do!
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2020, 11:44:48 »

.....and I do have a variable speed polisher.......

As you have a machine polisher I'll give you a tip to sparkle up your headlights.

Open the bonnet, mask the paintwork around the headlight, spray water on the headlight, rub wet and dry over the whole headlight and keep the headlight wet while doing so. Stand back and think "Oh my goodness, what have I done".  ;D  Wipe the headlight, it will look all misty.
Pick up your machine polisher, attach one of the small heads (assuming you have a proper polisher with interchangeable heads, not just a buffer), drop 3 or 4 drops of Super Resin Polish or similar on to your polishing head, smear it on to your headlight in circular motions (machine polisher off at this stage to avoid the polish spraying out over your clothes  ::) ), turn on polisher at low speed and increase the speed whilst polishing. Give this a couple of goes and buff off to a shine.
DO NOT stay in one place too long with the polisher or you will create too much heat. The whole process takes about ten minutes per headlight. I did mine occasionally like this and they were as good as new when I sold it seventeen years later and I also do a family members Mercedes headlights, as they are prone to dulling just the same. You don't need any fancy kit, this method makes them sparkle like new.  :y

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2020, 12:38:11 »

As you have a machine polisher I'll give you a tip to sparkle up your headlights.

Open the bonnet, mask the paintwork around the headlight, spray water on the headlight, rub wet and dry over the whole headlight and keep the headlight wet while doing so. Stand back and think "Oh my goodness, what have I done".  ;D  Wipe the headlight, it will look all misty.
Pick up your machine polisher, attach one of the small heads (assuming you have a proper polisher with interchangeable heads, not just a buffer), drop 3 or 4 drops of Super Resin Polish or similar on to your polishing head, smear it on to your headlight in circular motions (machine polisher off at this stage to avoid the polish spraying out over your clothes  ::) ), turn on polisher at low speed and increase the speed whilst polishing. Give this a couple of goes and buff off to a shine.
DO NOT stay in one place too long with the polisher or you will create too much heat. The whole process takes about ten minutes per headlight. I did mine occasionally like this and they were as good as new when I sold it seventeen years later and I also do a family members Mercedes headlights, as they are prone to dulling just the same. You don't need any fancy kit, this method makes them sparkle like new.  :y

I think you need to say very fine wet and dry  :)
personally, I use 3M 800 grit,then 1500 grit W&D  and keep wet with a squirty bottle of water and washing up liquid
then rinse, mop and polish
« Last Edit: 03 May 2020, 12:53:35 by dave the builder »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 May 2020, 12:50:32 »

I think you need to say very fine wet and dry  :)
personally, I use 3M 800 grit,then 1500 grit W&D  and keep wet with a squirty bottle of water....

Quite right.  :y  Always difficult to know just how much detail to add without insulting someone's intelligence, but you are correct to explain that it's fine wet and dry so that anyway afraid to ask doesn't use paper that's too course.  :y

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2020, 13:09:45 »

I already done the headlights last week, did not come up as good as what I expected, looked good at the time, but think I might need to do them again, masked them, 4 stage sand and polish etc., final coating on and all that.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 May 2020, 13:13:36 »

Done last Sunday pic below...….

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 May 2020, 13:16:05 »

Done last Sunday pic below...….

Nice one.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 May 2020, 13:41:59 »

Results partly depend on what you are starting with ;)

Also, I don't think that 40 grit is wet and dry :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 May 2020, 13:58:18 »

Results partly depend on what you are starting with ;)

Also, I don't think that 40 grit is wet and dry :D

Use the four small sanding pads that came with the turtle was kit, then today found the Megiuars lens cleaning kit, hiding in the boot all the time, thought I had thrown it, hence why bought another one, need to go to specsavers!!!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 May 2020, 14:02:52 »

It's the cabin fever kicking in  ;)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2020, 14:03:38 »

In theory, UV-protective sealant on the lights after the polish is what you need to do to stop them clouding again.

I bought a cheapy Chinese kit off eBay with such a product included, it seems to work. It could however have been a sachet of condiment for all I know...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2020, 14:07:44 »

Or Batflu  ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 May 2020, 15:32:28 »

I used, 800, then 1500, then 2000, with lashings of water, then a polish with g3, finished with super resin polish..

If you haven't got G3, Autosol metal polish works well.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 03 May 2020, 17:35:47 »

I used, 800, then 1500, then 2000, with lashings of water, then a polish with g3, finished with super resin polish..

Or Brasso.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2020, 18:41:23 »

I did this with mine today. Although I used 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 then G3 and then super resin polish. A bit disappointed with the results tbh. They are better than they were, but not as good as I hoped.
I did remove the headlights from the car to do it though, so cleaned up all the paintwork behind there while I was at it.
Fark nose why, because its unlikely that anyone will ever see it again, but it looked quite nice just before I covered it up by refitting the lights.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.