Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover HG - is it HG?  (Read 20675 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Rover HG - is it HG?
« Reply #120 on: 18 January 2007, 11:53:53 »

OK, HG postponed for today - JamesV6CDX has been delayed, and its blowing a gale here.  The plan is to start at first light tomorrow...

I think it's blowing a gale everywhere.....can't play golf. :(

Get a back wind, you could get a good drive.  Driving into the wind could prove challenging though....

Course is water logged, closed for the day :(
I like red cars

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #121 on: 18 January 2007, 16:07:21 »

OK, HG postponed for today - JamesV6CDX has been delayed, and its blowing a gale here.  The plan is to start at first light tomorrow...

Get a back wind, you could get a good drive.  Driving into the wind could prove challenging though....

Driving Range then....or computer golf  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 18 January 2007, 16:31:27 »

Need to be a floodlit range now....

I crap at computer golf.  I'm even worse at proper golf  :-[
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 18 January 2007, 16:46:25 »

Need to be a floodlit range now....

I crap at computer golf.  I'm even worse at proper golf  :-[

Too windy and cold for both ;)
I like red cars

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 18 January 2007, 17:04:55 »

A camlock (only) bought. Draper one, £6.99.

Sounds about right  :y

Book says, remove starter motor, lock flywheel, after locking cams.....

Computer says no..... ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 18 January 2007, 17:26:38 »

No, seriously, I've never removed the starter motor to do this job and I've never locked the flywheel to time it. There is, in my experience, a small blanking plate under the bellhousing, which allows access to the flywheel, so it's possible to get something onto the teeth to stop it moving, if the crankshaft pulley proves hard to get off.

Engine will be at 90 degrees before TDC for the head to be removed. That way no valves will contact, upon re-fitting. (Head is removed with cams in-situ). This way, the engine shouldn't need to be turned with the head off - in line with procedure.

Head needs to be lifted off extremely carefully on these engines (wet liners)

The newest K series engine I did was an R Reg, and I've done an N reg 414, and loads of earlier 214 16v K series heads, but Jaime's engine looks exactly the same as the R reg. I don't see it being a problem, the only thing I'm unfamilar with is the coil pack on Jaimes.

When sprockets lined up, the cams/crank can be set to the correct position, cams locked, and timing belt fitted. It will be then turned over by hand to ensure the marks all line up - if they do, it's all good - no need to lock flywheel (in my experience).

The plastic inlet manifold bolts/nuts on these are pretty easy to remove, so I usually drop the manifold back away from the head, saving time messing with a fair few fiddly bits.

If memory serves, the down-pipe is then dropped off the manifold, and the manifold comes off with the head. It CAN also be removed with the head in the car. This part can be a bit fiddly, but not too troublesome.

Water pump is held on by 8 8mm bolts, with a rubber O-ring. Changing this, because A they are prone to leaking (I've seen many of these leak).. and also obviously because the timing belt runs over it's pulley, so it's good practice to change it when we do the belt.

The timing belt tensioner is held on by an allen key (maybe torx on this model) bolt, and there is a small 8mm bolt which holds it in position for setting the tension. If I remember right, it's pretty much self tensioning by means of a spring on the tensioner, but I always double check it. I had an experience where the "self tension" clearly wasn't sufficient on one because the belt was wobbling (when cold), so I just took up slightly more play on the tensioner, which sorted it.

Rocker cover is held on with a million bolts, and rarely leak apart from the back right corner.

Hopefully we'll get this all done if we have a good day at it. If there are no complications, then I'm confident we will. Unfortunately I've had stuff going on at home and come this morning I'd not been to bed for 48 hours, so probably wasn't in the best frame of mind to tackle a head gasket ;)

I'm doing my best to get someone to work my Saturday, but unfortunately I'm down to be working nights over the weekend :(

If the worst happens though, I'm available Monday after lunch, and Tuesday and Wednesday all day.

The getting the new cambelt on can be a lenghty (but easy) job, as it involves jacking up the engine and removing the mounting. If it looks like we're going to be mega pushed for time, and the car is needed for the weekend, then it would be an option, to change the Head gasket to get it mobile, and postpone the belt change until one day next week, or the following Sunday, when I'm free all day. Totally understand it's due - but that may be an option to consider if time looks like a problem. We could also do the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals whist at the belt.

They're usually punctured with a small hole either side, a couple of self tappers inserted, and pulled out with pliers :)

My sincere apologies for the delay today, unfortunately it was out of my hands, these things happen when you have families :(

Jaime, I'll be with you in the morning mate, and we'll crack on and talk about it in more detail then  
[smiley=thumbup.gif]

« Last Edit: 18 January 2007, 18:07:30 by JamesV6CDX »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 18 January 2007, 18:49:25 »

No probs with delay, completely understand that the last day or 2 haven't been good for you. I really appreciate that, despite everything, you are still able to find the time to come over.

I've read the workshop manuals I have (the ones they gave to dealers), and it doesn't sound too bad at all.  However, I don't think I would have the confidence to do this on my own - some jobs I just need someone to guide me the first time, then I'm OK to do it again and again (a bit like v6 cambelts).

What time do you think you will get here?
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 18 January 2007, 18:57:26 »

What time does it get light :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 18 January 2007, 18:58:21 »

Just before 8am...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 18 January 2007, 18:59:53 »

Just before 8am...

Between 8-9 then I guess! If for some horroble reason we don't finish it, Im still trying to get Sat off work, and failing that monday, tues and weds are all fine. Of course, we want it done tomorrow, but there is some contingency if not.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 18 January 2007, 19:01:23 »

Just before 8am...

Between 8-9 then I guess! If for some horroble reason we don't finish it, Im still trying to get Sat off work, and failing that monday, tues and weds are all fine. Of course, we want it done tomorrow, but there is some contingency if not.

:y

Bacon, rolls, sauce, teabags, milk all in. We can tackle anything ;)
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 19 January 2007, 01:09:54 »

I think this thread is absolutely brill.  A real example of how relative strangers can meet in the middle of nowhere, get on and do summat constuctive to a mutual advantage......  

As long as the job gets done.......   ;D      :y

Sorry peeps - been at the rouge/meds concoction again!   (hic!)     :-[

B

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 19 January 2007, 07:33:33 »

Well, a bit later than planned, it's 7:30, and I'm just about to leave for Brackley. Should arrive at a reasonable hour giving us enough time to make a good job.

Also I think I may have got Saturday off if the job needs finishing, but not 100% until I talk to my boss. I've found someone to work my shift..

Just going to print my directions and hit the Road -

Jaime, it may be a bit after 9am now, depending on traffic on the M4/5, but bear with me as I'm on my way!!

;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 19 January 2007, 07:34:42 »

Well, a bit later than planned, it's 7:30, and I'm just about to leave for Brackley. Should arrive at a reasonable hour giving us enough time to make a good job.

Also I think I may have got Saturday off if the job needs finishing, but not 100% until I talk to my boss. I've found someone to work my shift..

Just going to print my directions and hit the Road -

Jaime, it may be a bit after 9am now, depending on traffic on the M4/5, but bear with me as I'm on my way!!

;D
:y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 19 January 2007, 07:37:39 »

I think this thread is absolutely brill.  A real example of how relative strangers can meet in the middle of nowhere, get on and do summat constuctive to a mutual advantage......  
Aye, this forum is by far the best I have ever been on (and I consider myself an Internet (and BBS before) veteran), and I am truely humbled....

Now, I wonder if we can beat Allenm's "Oh Bugger" thread which I think ran to 20 odd pages  ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.