Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow driving  (Read 6402 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: Snow driving
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2009, 20:33:41 »

Personally I think WWD is a lot better in the snow  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #31 on: 19 December 2009, 20:33:47 »

and we forgot,

4wd is always the best ;D

sparten

• ffoss-y-ffin,near aberaeron
  • usually,fixing his miggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 December 2009, 20:36:13 »

Front wheel drive is best in slippery conditions.

That depends; Ok you have the weight of the engine over the front of the driving wheels, but that's all you can have. With a correct wheel drive car you can add quite a lot of weight. I used to run SD1's years back & i used to load up the boot with Silo Bolts from work, 40 kilo a sack & i'd have ten in the wheel well, that coupled with self leveling suspension. I never had any problems at all :y :y :y :y

Except fuel economy. :o
thats what i was going to say ;D

albitz

« Reply #33 on: 19 December 2009, 20:46:17 »

I came home from work yesterday morning just in time to see the young lad from next door trying to get his 306 up the gentle incline on our road.I normally go straight to bed when I get home but I spent 10 minutes watching him,flat out in 1st,wheels spinning like mad,wheel from lock to lock and the car slowly sliding from one side of the road to the other but making no forward progress at all.It was hilarious. ::) ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #34 on: 19 December 2009, 20:54:27 »

I came home from work yesterday morning just in time to see the young lad from next door trying to get his 306 up the gentle incline on our road.I normally go straight to bed when I get home but I spent 10 minutes watching him,flat out in 1st,wheels spinning like mad,wheel from lock to lock and the car slowly sliding from one side of the road to the other but making no forward progress at all.It was hilarious. ::) ;D

not a driver..

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 December 2009, 21:11:29 »

Must admit I had a play lesson on the industrial est the other night at midnight. :y

I was surprised how easy the rear end of the Omega kicks out even at 5-10 mph. :o

However I was also surprised how controllable it was. Not to mention the amount of fun!

I was trying to find the balance, and eventually managed to hold it sideways on a straight somehow for about 60-70 meters (maybe doesn’t sound like far, but when I was doing around 10 or so mph it seemed like it  ;D!)

Today I had to take my sister to work as my dad managed to get his Astra stuck big pot hole which is at the side of our drive (Our drive is on a down hill slope too! So god knows how he managed it!). When I got back I had to tow him out as he was still sat there!

And this afternoon I’ve been all over York followed by a return trip about 15 mile up the road in the dark while it was snowing.

Oh and im 22! :P

But I do know what you mean about some people. The number of times I’ve anticipated other drivers not stopping at junctions in time causing me to either stop / avoid them was shocking too! :-? :-?
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Marie

• Omega Baron
  • Linconshire but works in oxfordshire
  • i am a hands on person, i like to get stuck in !!!
    • 2ltr LPG Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 December 2009, 21:54:42 »

Maria - you must be one of the few exceptions- was talking to next door yesterday -he was trying to educate one of the kids that  spinning wheels to get thru 6" of packed snow before you move is not the way to go.
 Its a pleasant change to be able to log on - as had to use another pc the last 4 weeks

its marie darlin!!!! :)

and i would have loved to have seen that. much to me trying i cant get my mig to spin. i did a few months back put bigger wheels on her.

it must be my excellent driving!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Now has two miggs in our house hold. Both 2.0ltr 16v lpg'd. a MFL and a FL.

Marie

• Omega Baron
    • 2ltr LPG Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 December 2009, 21:58:07 »

The number of times I’ve anticipated other drivers not stopping at junctions in time causing me to either stop / avoid them was shocking too! :-? :-?

this weather is all about anticipating the other drivers. people dont do it enough. since i have done my hgv licence i drive so different and you dont realise how inconsiderate and un educated other drivers are :D :D :D

waspy

« Reply #38 on: 19 December 2009, 21:58:29 »

Maria - you must be one of the few exceptions- was talking to next door yesterday -he was trying to educate one of the kids that  spinning wheels to get thru 6" of packed snow before you move is not the way to go.
 Its a pleasant change to be able to log on - as had to use another pc the last 4 weeks

its marie darlin!!!! :)

and i would have loved to have seen that. much to me trying i cant get my mig to spin. i did a few months back put bigger wheels on her.

it must be my excellent driving!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Marie. Could you please re-size your avatar. It's spoiling you text :(

Marie

• Omega Baron
    • 2ltr LPG Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 December 2009, 21:59:50 »

yes i thought it was small. sorry guys ill do it now

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 December 2009, 22:07:30 »

On a more serious note i & many others still manage to get our artics up & down our wee island so car drivers have no excuse.

Errrrr, not all of you.  Took my son 7 hours to get from Ipswich to Colchester yesterday because of a "jackknifed lorry" at the Copdock Interchange.
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 December 2009, 22:15:57 »

I've had two omegas and a beemer, both RWD, and both as sh!t in the wet/snow as any FWD. I've been driving for just on 40 years and the secret to driving in slippery conditions is- slow and careful, no matter which wheels are driven.

Absolutely! Most importantly, think what you're going to do next, wait if necessary, and don't force anyone else to use their brakes - heaven knows where they will fetch up. :)
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 December 2009, 22:17:05 »

One of the biggest problems with FWD/RWD cars today is the performance tyyes, in all honesty with the deseign of they they best they were designed for was to clear water whislt raining, but to have the best performance in the dry with as good as possible perforance in the wet.

In the 70#s and 80's when we had major snow tyre design was of a blockier type tread pattern, which when it did snow I believe gave better grip in the snow than todays performance tyres.

I actualy bought spare rims for my car to put some mud and snow tyres on just so I could go out at night and in the early hours just so I could play and pretend I was 18 again.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 December 2009, 22:17:33 »

and we forgot,

4wd is always the best ;D

Found out the Saab may be WWD but it also has passive rear wheel steering, which does make it a lot less under steery and that bit more fun in the snow, it's no miggy though  :(, feels really wierd if you sling it into a corner you can feel the back moving very odd. I had to try it ;D
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 December 2009, 22:32:01 »

Has no one heard of snow chains in this country anymore ?? 

We've had no snow here in Wilts .. but as soon as the weather changed to even the possibility of snow the little box of chains went in the boot, and will probably stay there now for months. With luck I won't ned them .. but they are there .. with the torch and shovel .. just in case I do.

:)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.