Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow driving  (Read 6392 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Snow driving
« Reply #90 on: 02 October 2010, 01:34:42 »

Steep snowy/icy inclines in my V6 Estate (>1.7tonnes) requires clever use of the TC button... It's my best friend in the snow... steady uphill progress with TC, start to lose momentum, hit TC button (do disable tc) and little blast on the throttle to pick up again... inevitably losing rear end so counter lock as necessary, then hit TC button (re-activate tc) and plod on.. simples  :y  definately nothing to do with age or gender just know how & experience... reduced tyre pressures, decent spare for the nasty things you can't see that will give a puncture  >:( and whatever car you have FWD, RWD definately find a large empty space and chuck it about so you can really feel what it (your car) behaves like... without TC... how it slides, brakes, countersteers etc.  :y

Also MOD trained same as marie & RoSPA advanced... Strongly recommend RoSPA or IAM to all drivers... everyone used do it and now it's hardly mentioned  :-?

Brush the dust off... ::) ::) ::) I am IAM and also HGV and PSV...... :y
My experience with driving in snow is considerable, briefly includes; a Transit pick up  full of LPG bottles is hard to restrict driving in the snow, Police consent to drive the wrong way down the motorway, went about 20 miles to rescue a bus, at one point used a JCB to pull the  bus up a hill a couple of foot at a time

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02 October 2010, 01:50:44 »

Posted by Today at 01:16 Another one from the dead  :D :D
lol just seen the date  ;D ;D ;D somehow landed on the thread and found the whole debate quite intersting  ;) don't worry I'll let RIP  :y

Brush the dust off...    I am IAM and also HGV and PSV......
My experience with driving in snow is considerable, briefly includes; a Transit pick up  full of LPG bottles is hard to restrict driving in the snow, Police consent to drive the wrong way down the motorway, went about 20 miles to rescue a bus, at one point used a JCB to pull the  bus up a hill a couple of foot at a time

lol please do explain... I'm a blue light driver & not allowed to do that, swmbo is plod and can't do that? guessing you must be on amber lights doing recovery  :D :D :D  ;) Anyway I was just giving sound advice by recommending IAM, not suggesting that others on OOF don't have it... promoting safety is a good thing, boasting about considerable experience in the snow is a strange reaction
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 02:17:04 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 02 October 2010, 02:21:18 »

Posted by Today at 01:16 Another one from the dead  :D :D
lol just seen the date  ;D ;D ;D somehow landed on the thread and found the whole debate quite intersting  ;) don't worry I'll let RIP  :y

Brush the dust off...    I am IAM and also HGV and PSV......

lol please do explain... I'm a blue light driver & not allowed to do that, swmbo is plod and can't do that? guessing you must be on amber lights dropping off cones? recovery? highways agency?  :D :D :D  ;)Anyway I was just giving sound advice by recommending IAM, not suggesting that others on OOF don't have it... promoting safety is a good thing, boasting about considerable experience in the snow is a strange reaction

If the Motorway was closed, it could be authorised, particularly in extreme weather conditions.
Obviously a blue light isn't 'carte blanc' to drive on a Motorway in any direction, at any time, but in extreme weather the only solution may involve the breaking of rules.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 19:00:16 by Turk »
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 02 October 2010, 07:23:59 »

Another one from the dead :D :D

Without doubt Dave. :y

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_b1-Tr5mU[/media]

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #94 on: 02 October 2010, 08:28:55 »

snow tires , no need for TC, no need for extra stress ;D

but must admit experimented sideways and hard braking  in empty icy areas many times.. ;D
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 08:44:59 by cem_devecioglu »

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 02 October 2010, 09:37:44 »

snow tires , no need for TC, no need for extra stress ;D

but must admit experimented sideways and hard braking  in empty icy areas many times.. ;D
:y :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 02 October 2010, 15:28:33 »

yep Cem has it right fit proper winter tyres to the migg and you will be amazed at the difference, no need to worry about the snow just the other idiots on the road who dont have them!!
« Last Edit: 02 October 2010, 15:28:52 by Omegatoy »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #97 on: 02 October 2010, 19:28:15 »

yep Cem has it right fit proper winter tyres to the migg and you will be amazed at the difference, no need to worry about the snow just the other idiots on the road who dont have them!!

:y :y

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 02 October 2010, 19:32:43 »

got me looking out the window for something id missed on the weather...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.