Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow driving  (Read 6397 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Snow driving
« Reply #60 on: 20 December 2009, 07:14:33 »

It's quite easy to get used to driving on snow/ice with a bit of practice, and easy to get lulled into a false sense of security.

Just remember one thing:-

IF YOU BRAKE, WILL THE CAR STOP - PROBABLY NOT!
I like red cars

damage consultant

• falkirk (sunny scotland)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 20 December 2009, 08:00:15 »

Well this is the first time this year ive put the snow shoes on my miggy :y
great fun going past those front wheel drives that have spun out going up hills   [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

waspy

« Reply #62 on: 20 December 2009, 08:42:39 »

Front wheel drive is best in slippery conditions.

Last year the guy 2 doors down couldn't get his vectra up the 1.5" to his drive. Completley useless ::)

I've had two omegas and a beemer, both RWD, and both as sh!t in the wet/snow as any FWD. I've been driving for just on 40 years and the secret to driving in slippery conditions is- slow and careful, no matter which wheels are driven.

Not necessarily... Smooth, slower and controlled... RWD is, IMO better in snow as when you lose drive you can steer with the accelerator ;) ;) ;)

The Mini proved in the 1963 Monte Carlo Rally that FWD was best and nothing has since proved otherwise over 4x4..... :)

In the end it all comes down to a few factors as to what's best in the snow; chassis set up (the old Carltons where one of the best snow drivers & towers), tyre makes, depth of tread, but most importantly it's the that lose nut behind the wheel that makes ALL the difference ;)

goats milk

• herford, germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 20 December 2009, 09:59:11 »

bit offended bout that comment.
its not your age its your experience.
i find im always stuck behind blokes over 50 or women doing 30kmph.
most annoying when your late because you forgot you had to deice/defrost the car!!!!

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 20 December 2009, 11:37:05 »

bit offended bout that comment.
its not your age its your experience.
i find im always stuck behind blokes over 50 or women doing 30kmph.
most annoying when your late because you forgot you had to deice/defrost the car!!!!

Could that be inexperience or laziness.  :-X ;D ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

goats milk

• herford, germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 20 December 2009, 11:50:35 »

bit of both as its my first winter in germany and i wanted to stay in bed

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 20 December 2009, 11:54:43 »

That explains the 30 kph behind the little old ladys then if in Germany.  Our little old ladys are smart and stay tucked  up in bed.

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

goats milk

• herford, germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 20 December 2009, 12:00:12 »

That explains the 30 kph behind the little old ladys then if in Germany.  Our little old ladys are smart and stay tucked  up in bed.

i wish they did here, you can always garentee youll get stuck behind one, or a truck from poland haha

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #68 on: 20 December 2009, 12:55:36 »

snow chains: I have a special disability in that subject.. tried some and never managed to tighten them properly so I gave up..

snow tires: my favorite.. and if conditions require I keep some studded in baggage with wheels..

snow driving : tested myself in empty roads with ice in the past.. after some contra's I could correct direction and mass transfer of car.. but  need some courage to try with a heavy car imho.. ;D
« Last Edit: 20 December 2009, 12:58:23 by cem_devecioglu »

des.allen

• Preston lancs
  • 2000 2.5 v6 elite nearly LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 20 December 2009, 14:26:07 »

Driving home yesterday and for some reason turned up the bottom end of my street(normally go other way), cars on both sides of a steep hill, i got about a hundred and fifty yards up and you guessed it, wheels started sliding!!
The only way i could go was back the way i came, I had to go backwards about six inches at a time as when i braked car would slide!
At one point i was about an inch off one of the cars parked at side!
It took me about twnty minutes to get back to bottom of hill and luckily i didnt hit anything. all the local kids and some parents where all stood watching and cringing when i started to slide
Talk about havin a sweat on :o

sexydaz

« Reply #70 on: 20 December 2009, 14:50:22 »

well ive just picked up the worse half from the outlaws and had to go up a hill and its abloody steep one cars stuck all the way up folk just got out and given up,my est auto just went straight up about 1500 revs wheels slightly spinning and it just kept going,well chuffed with it :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 20 December 2009, 14:58:49 »

I once touched the brakes in one of my yank cars (bought it on a day when 18 inches of snow fell) and the car was so light on the back end there was no way it was going to stop.  So nailed the brakes to lock them up, shuffed the auto into reverse and nailed the throttle till the car stopped going forward.  Not the best way to avoid an accident but it worked.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 20 December 2009, 16:37:46 »

I once touched the brakes in one of my yank cars (bought it on a day when 18 inches of snow fell) and the car was so light on the back end there was no way it was going to stop.  So nailed the brakes to lock them up, shuffed the auto into reverse and nailed the throttle till the car stopped going forward.  Not the best way to avoid an accident but it worked.

I had to do just that some years ago in a Rover 827 Auto, no way was it going to stop and another, out of control car, heading towards me, reverse was the only option.. :y

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 20 December 2009, 16:57:09 »

I once got caught in a snowfall that came down so quickly that everybody lost sight of the road.  There were seven "lanes" of traffic on a three lane motorway.  Which was a pity, because we were all heading for the entrance of the Schiphol Tunnel, which is, at best, three lanes.  I was little worried, as I'd only had my brand new 2.8 Scorpio for ten days.

Eventually got home 4 hours late, but the snow had drifted badly, and there wasn't anywhere to stop safely, let alone park for the night.  Finally had to settle for getting up the best speed I could and driving straight at the friendliest-looking pile of snow.  Crude, but effective.  And no fun in the only car I ever bought new.

At least in Holland I didn't have to worry about driving up and down hills. :) :) :)
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 20 December 2009, 17:01:27 »

I had to do just that some years ago in a Rover 827 Auto, no way was it going to stop and another, out of control car, heading towards me, reverse was the only option.. :y

Thats now 2 stories you have told that havee used FWD as RWD and yet you still say FWD is best.  :-X :y

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.