Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 1661 times)

albitz

Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2011, 20:04:17 »

I have had it occasionally for years and it didnt bother me much, but now its almost all the time. :(

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2011, 20:04:28 »

did you visit doc ?

I had once when my ears were full :-[ ;D
Not yet Cem, I will do though, just in case its something as simple as that. But I suspect it wont. I have played guitars/music - very loud since my yoof, and have spent almost all my working life in extremely noisy atmospheres. I wore ear protection, but the noise levels were often still beyond the pain threshold.

From what I was reading the other week, Tinnitus is the brain 'misfiring' to make up for a total absence of noise in a certain part of the auditory spectrum .. so I think there's your answer, unfortunately, and hearing doesn't come back once it's gone.

Worth a visit to the doc and get a hearing test done to find out if it's that.

albitz

« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2011, 20:08:51 »

Mispent youth catching up with me............again. ::)
Just as well there isnt any new good music im going to miss out on. :D
Just looked up a list of people who suffer from it, Im in good company.
Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, I see a pattern here oh, and................Adolf Hitler.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 20:11:42 by albitz »

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2011, 20:43:22 »

:( Had it for a couple of years now since i picked up an ear infection swimming in volcanic water off santorini , doc says he can't do anything for it , it does produce a spectacular ammount of ear wax though! :y   

Mysteryman

« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2011, 20:44:34 »

:( Had it for a couple of years now since i picked up an ear infection swimming in volcanic water off santorini , doc says he can't do anything for it , it does produce a spectacular ammount of ear wax though! :y   

Your ear thinks it's a volcano.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 February 2011, 20:45:17 »

I have tinitus in both ears.  Too many years of lage ships enginerooms back in the 70's when hearing protection was a laughed at thing.  Quickly followed by longer than I care to mention in firearms training with large caliber handguns, shotguns and flashbangs in close confines, large caliber rifles from a distance and similar.  Motorbikes and loud revs/short gears to get progress as required.  it all adds up.

Like someone already said, I find a fan on low speed in the background helps a lot.

Camping in the country, on a wind and noise free night is plain torture, sadly...   :'( 

Mysteryman

« Reply #21 on: 09 February 2011, 20:46:44 »

I'm really surprised by how many of you suffer from this. You have my sympathy, it would drive me mad.

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 09 February 2011, 20:50:07 »

I get it for about an hour every few months  - but so loud I reckon other people could hear it.

Did have temporary hearing loss from a Saon gig once.

Hearing is fine now

Lioned

• Intermediate Member
  • South East London
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 February 2011, 20:51:10 »

I have it.Have had all the tests including brain scan which was clear.Most Docs will just fob you off as there is no cure and not much they can do.You should go for a proper hearing test and examination just in case there is something in the inner ear or, as i have said,a problem in the head causing pressure.
Dont bother to read all the stuff on the internet sites,i've been there and done all that and nobody really knows what causes it.Though best guess is always been 'occupational' noise.I did a big and very noisy job a few months before mine started about 18 months ago,stupid enough not to use ear protectors,and i recon thats what caused mine.

Dont notice it much ,if at all,during the day when i'm working and there is background noise,worse time is at night and when trying to get to sleep.

Advise is to listen to 'White noise' (inter station noise) you can buy tapes.
At night i plug myself into the Ipod and listen and it calms things down and gets me off to sleep.

It is worse for people who are loosing their hearing as well so get that checked.   

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 February 2011, 20:56:10 »

Ive had it for 5 years, and yes it drives me crazy some times,Booze helps abit.
I think it had a lot to do with concerts in the past (The Who,T-rex,Wishbone ash,Mountain)

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 09 February 2011, 20:56:54 »

Yep, its off down the docs I think. Im sitting here half watching the England match and I can hear the ringing very clearly above the volume of the TV.

Mysteryman

« Reply #26 on: 09 February 2011, 20:59:55 »

Yep, its off down the docs I think. Im sitting here half watching the England match and I can hear the ringing very clearly above the volume of the TV.

Well open the door yer daft b@st@rd. ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 09 February 2011, 21:04:27 »

I too have tinitus.....just in one ear tho....due to my incompitent doctor, at the time, that failed to clear an ear infection i had..after 6 months of having the ear infection..i ended up going to a private doctor...that after tests, my hearing in that ear was pratically non existant.
The private doctor, filled my ear with a solution and i had a bung in my ear for about 2 weeks, after which was removed and a few weeks later he got my hearing back to about 80%....and he did tell me at the time, that he could get my hearing in that ear back to about 95% and tinitus, which i was complaining about at the time, he said he could cure.....however i declined at the time....as i had run up a £1000 bill  :o and about 10yrs later.....its still a prob.....maybe i should have carried on with his treatment  :-/

Noise in the backroom helps....like radio/tv on...even if im not listening to it  :y

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2011, 00:01:10 »

Had it for 6 years now in both ears, very loud. Can hear it all the time even during the day. No cure. Contrary to what's been said, alcohol makes it worse, as does tiredness and dehydration. There are CDs you can get with White noise on and tinnitus sounding noises. Prolonged listening to these help to reduce symptoms, apparently, although I haven't used mine long enough to confirm. I can't imagine life without it, it's normal now for me.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2011, 00:51:01 »

I've had it for years. Probably down to years of working in a tool room and being complacent about hearing protection. Had all of the audiology tests and scan done. I'm totally deaf in my left ear and the tinnitus is in my left ear.
Mine is always there but you can sometimes switch off to it. It is more apparant when you think about it. My wife says I have selective deafness.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 10 February 2011, 01:13:18 by Alan-Hearn »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.