Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown / Recovery Peeps? AA/RAC/GreenFlag?  (Read 3000 times)

Moos3h

• View Profile
Breakdown / Recovery Peeps? AA/RAC/GreenFlag?
« on: 11 February 2010, 21:31:01 »

Hi all,

Just got a renewal for my breakdown cover from AA for £58 which is the basic of the basic cover so doesn't seem great value.

However, I NEED cover for me as a person, rather than the car as it's to go on two cars.

Anyone any recommendations at all?

Cheers,
James

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown / Recovery Peeps? AA/RAC/GreenFlag?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2010, 21:31:54 »

buy through quidco, or cashback kings....can be virtually free  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2010, 23:21:04 »

just renewed our AA, £99 last year for both of us, this year they want £158 for some reason, phoned up to cancel, and haypresto...£99 for another year. WTF?

Its one of those cover the driver jobs no matter what car your in. Thought that was ok at 49.50 each???

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2010, 23:47:13 »

RAC did the same to me. Hiked it after a year or two. I'd also changed my credit card anyway, so they weren't going to be taking any money. ;D

I just kept quiet to see how many grovelling letters I got. ;D

Ought to get some more cover I suppose. Just riles me when the Westfield is covered anywhere in Europe for 30 odd quid a year. >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2010, 23:59:34 »

I've been with the AA since 1970, but when renewal comes in a few months .. I'll be going to Green Flag.

AA prices have just got stupid ...  I used to get a bit off for being in the Armed Forces, even with that they were expensive .. without it ....  :(

They have also changed their rules .. without any announcements ...  used to be that if you were towing and the towed article (trailer or 'van) broke .. they would recover it .. I actually had this done many years back when a 'van had a serious problem, van was put on a flat bed ... but no more .... trailers not covered .. :(

So I'll be changing .....
« Last Edit: 12 February 2010, 00:00:19 by entwood »

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2010, 05:30:04 »

i got cought out with green flag, Direct line offered break down cover as part of my insurance, didnt realise the level of cover was to any repair garage within 10 miles radious, fat lot of good that is at 11.30.pm on a friday with a dead alternator in the midde of London. And green flag where happy to leave me there as well, imagine the parking fees in London over a weekend, a mamaged to blame the salesperson for miss selling and they towed me home on a flat bed, they also dont own any vehichles, just a contract with a nationwide independent network of breakdown companys. Not impressed tbh.

Sad

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • VW Golf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2010, 08:57:12 »

I've been with the RAC for years, never had a problem.  Having said that I've only ever had to use them for two flat batteries and a flat tyre (when I didn't have the wheel brace in the car??   ::))

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2010, 09:02:25 »

I dont rate Green Flag.....they are not interested in thier customers.....and I have had a BAD experience with them!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2010, 09:20:57 »

My AA is due. Price hiked as per every year.  Time to ring up and cancel, until they offer me the web price (£91 - 2 people, relay)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2010, 09:24:50 »

I dont rate Green Flag.....they are not interested in thier customers.....and I have had a BAD experience with them!

the drivers are merely the sort of people that turn up when the police call a tow truck to an accident to tow a wreck, not trained in roadside repairs in any way, i got the impression the company that recovered me work straight out of a scrap yard, you get what ever ludite they have on shift, and he spent the entire trip home bemoaning direct line, quite justifiably iirc....that reminds me, must change my insurance company.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2010, 09:33:53 »

How about paying for cover for 12 years with them and when you return to your car at 2 in the morning at Birmingham airport with a 1 year old and 3 year old to find the battery flat and then be told by the controller that your not covered because its classed as 'home start'....and that it will cost 120 quid and your not a priority!

Plus it was the first time I had ever tried to use them!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2010, 11:04:48 »

How about paying for cover for 12 years with them and when you return to your car at 2 in the morning at Birmingham airport with a 1 year old and 3 year old to find the battery flat and then be told by the controller that your not covered because its classed as 'home start'....and that it will cost 120 quid and your not a priority!

Ive had a few flat battery’s at Airports in the past Mark , Always had free jump start from the Car Parking people, been told thats included as part of your parking fee. I know at Stanstead if they cant get you started they call AA / RAC to recover or tow you out, but only to the outer Airport perimeter.

Back on track, Ive always found AA works well for me, £89 for me any car Im in plus relay to Garage or Home, no Home Start though.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2010, 11:05:40 by zirk »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2010, 11:06:47 »

Ive had a few flat battery’s at Airports in the past Mark , Always had free jump start from the Car Parking people, been told thats included as part of your parking fee. I know at Stanstead if they cant get you started they call AA / RAC to recover or tow you out, but only to the outer Airport perimeter.

Back on track, Ive always found AA works well for me, £89 for me any car Im in plus relay to Garage or Home, no Home Start though.

Yeh, all well and good if thier booster pack is not goosed (as was in this case)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2010, 11:14:20 »

i am with the ADAC, German version of the AA. Its £70 a year, and it covers you for driving in Europe. I got silly quotes for just 1 weeks cover in Euroland, basically if a break down anywhere in main land Europe i am covered.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.