Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3125381 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #26340 on: 12 May 2024, 07:57:15 »

not enough pressure in the cooling system to push into the oil TBH 15psi water and oil should be 50 + psi

When running yes, but when the engine is stopped, the oil pressure drops to zero pretty quickly and the coolant pressure remains for quite a while, so you do get some 'push back'  :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26341 on: 13 May 2024, 10:36:45 »

Went to look at and bought a temporary car pending fixing the S Class properly.

Working MK1 facelift Bini Cooper with almost 6 months MoT.

Needs a few bits addressing, but actually drives quite well for what it is.

Is owing a Benz,, the new Omega something needs fixing weekly.
Nah, that's a Jaaaag.  In the year I've had it TB has had to dismantle his engine twice.
Mainly due to not being able to get the other cam cover quickly enough when I did the first side. And oppsed if I was fitting a pattern part to such an arsehole to get to component.  And its only a cam cover, so you'd think it was a s trivial as a Omega :o

I'd wager I've spent less time working on mine in the last year then you have :).

In reality, the Big Black Pussy has been pretty good on that front, though has been on a low loader twice due to stupid little issues.  One was down to a silly design, the other gave me plenty of warning before I took it on holiday in the form of bearing noise, but I was busy every weekend helping my holiday buddy fix the suspension on his ash tree, so he could take that away with us, and "would sort the noise on mine when I got back".  Sadly, he still took his Peugeot instead, and my noise meant it was about 250 miles short of making it home!

I do despair at some of the silly decisions on the Pussy, particularly around the plastic welded components that have internal pressure (turbo boost or coolant pressure) that are guaranteed to fail, and the mongrel who decided to use far longer than necessary bolts to hold the injector rail in place needs stringing up bu their knackers, but overall its hard to fault the reliability* of it.  Obviously, its a Jaguar so has a reliability stigma to it, but no better or worse than any other car really.

*Reliability needs to be compared to other luxury, complicated exec cars, as there is more to go wrong.  That said, ignoring wheels and tyres, the only non service items I've had to do are:
Both cam covers
Throttle body
Coolant outlet
Alternator
Battery (at about 9yrs old, so guess should be classed as service)
Some infotainment bits - mostly due to my own fault
ATF change (I guess should be classed as service, even though its the usual sealed-for-life)

Not too bad in 7? 8? years of ownership....
Grumpy old man

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26342 on: 13 May 2024, 13:46:57 »

Have been making the rear corner interior panels for the Austin out of fibre glass, I hate that stuff but its working. Trouble was I drove the 6 miles to my unit and put another 2 layers on the one I made yesterday and then drove back home, a lot of distance for 2 hrs work----------

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26343 on: 13 May 2024, 15:55:36 »

The gearbox is the first proper issue it's had.

The rear windows don't work, and weren't when I bought it,  investigated for mechanical functionality... Recoding required.

The rest of my time on it falls into the tinkering category rather than actual repair work ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26344 on: 13 May 2024, 20:49:06 »

oh yes, and door latches. But they are definitely a service item on JLR. Guaranteed to last beyond (just) the warranty period ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26345 on: 14 May 2024, 00:12:29 »

oh yes, and door latches. But they are definitely a service item on JLR. Guaranteed to last beyond (just) the warranty period ;D

Still got both fronts to do on the OH's evoque before it gets sold oh and a reversing camera 'they all do that sir'   ::). Beyond that all it's needed is a dpf pressure sensor hose, again not bad imo for 2yrs and 20k miles.

Today I have been changing the oil pressure sensor on gran's 2003 clit. Second longest part of the job was finding my 22mm deep socket. The longest part was trying to work out which of the four possible sensors it was.

I mean seriously, I know french cars are a fuŁking joke, but 4 possible sensors, for a single make, model, year and engine of car.... ::)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #26346 on: 16 May 2024, 15:54:20 »

Flushed Astra A16XER with FORTE (put to engine oil) 20 minutes 2500 rpm. Then changed oil and filter. Next Itake away VVT solenoids for cleaning and checking, I heatd this might help for poor acceleration if VVT is not "active" due to e.g. bad maintenance, let's see what I find.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2024, 15:58:11 by polilara »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26347 on: 16 May 2024, 20:48:49 »

Omega - changed oil, oil filter and air filter. Olld air filter looked almost new but changed it anyway.
Refitted the engine undertray which has sat behind the shed for a couple of years.
Got a new heater matrix here, which will be the next job on it. Then need to find the annoying knock / rattle from somewhere underneath thats been driving me mad for a couple of years.
Front suspension components all seem fine, so will have a look further back and hopefully find something.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26348 on: 17 May 2024, 11:45:38 »

Heater matrix change is allways nice job. I made it once to my Omega without removing the dash. I  have steering wheel in left side, so perhaps a bit more space to work there. My knocking sound under driver's seat was the corroded thermal protection piece around cat. No that piece has dissapeared as well as the knocking sound.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26349 on: 18 May 2024, 19:43:34 »

Got the radio working in the Bini... So on the back of that win, had a go at the window regulator.

Total failure. Rebuilt the regulator only to find that although the motor spins on demand, it doesn't actually do anything.

Replacement on its way.
Onanists always think outside the box.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26350 on: 19 May 2024, 08:39:23 »

Made the other rear corner interior panel from fibre glass, I hate that stuff. Fumes made my eyes sore and my hand itch, Have to trim it today. 1mm disc in the angle grinder works !

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26351 on: 21 May 2024, 18:38:18 »

Checked both cars over and started them up for the first time after having both my hips resurfaced five weeks ago today.  :)

The V70 started first time, but the Mondeo's battery was flat and as I didn't think was a good idea to go hauling batteries out of cars at the moment while on crutches, I jump started it off the V70 and left it running on the drive for half an hour or so. It took a bit of cranking to get it started though.  :-\

Anyway, it should have put enough charge into battery to get it going next week when I can officially drive again.  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26352 on: Today at 18:04:18 »

New windscreen fitted on the Mondeo today, as it had a big 'bullseye' chip right in the field of vision, about eye level above the steering wheel and it's MOT time soon.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26353 on: Today at 19:31:03 »

Assembled finally GM "pneumatic" rear shocks to my 2001 Omega (bought them 2017). Springs there were quite tired and when towing caravan rear side went too down. Now it is adjustable and with a small pressure I lifted rear side to same height than front side having quite new springs. Now all four corens are about 685mm from arc to floor. Car stands in very nice position.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.