Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Did a bit of engine detailing to my ex-plod today  (Read 5222 times)

jyr001

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
Re: Did a bit of engine detailing to my ex-plod today
« Reply #15 on: 10 April 2011, 07:10:47 »

Thanks very much to you all for the positive comments folks - it almost makes the skinned knuckles worthwhile (which is saying something... I forgot how much Gunk stings when it makes contact with open wounds  :'(  ;D)

That's very, very impressive mate! Did you have to clean any muck of the plenum itself? And if so, what did you use?  :y

I used WD40 squirted on to an old toothbrush on mine. Do a small area at a time and wipe off the residue with a clean rag before it dries. It comes up a treat. To save effort and time I was going to use the wifes electric brush but she didn't seem that keen and hid it. Since the plenum is quite a rough cast finish a brush like this has just the right amount of stiffness to eke out all the dirt from the pits without damaging and it gets into all the nooks and crannies.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 April 2011, 19:05:08 »

Thanks Damon and Jyr for you advice!  :y

Made a start on mine today, and she's coming alone (pics to follow).  Next thing I really need to tackle is the throttle body (the aluminium part directly in front of the plenum). Being bare aluminium, it has got what I can only describe as black staining on it, which really doesn't seem to want to shift...  >:(

I notice yours is spotless Damon! Whats your secret?
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 April 2011, 22:08:03 »

Thanks very much to you all for the positive comments folks - it almost makes the skinned knuckles worthwhile (which is saying something... I forgot how much Gunk stings when it makes contact with open wounds  :'(  ;D)

That's very, very impressive mate! Did you have to clean any muck of the plenum itself? And if so, what did you use?  :y

I used WD40 squirted on to an old toothbrush on mine. Do a small area at a time and wipe off the residue with a clean rag before it dries. It comes up a treat. To save effort and time I was going to use the wifes electric brush but she didn't seem that keen and hid it. Since the plenum is quite a rough cast finish a brush like this has just the right amount of stiffness to eke out all the dirt from the pits without damaging and it gets into all the nooks and crannies.

You're a braver man than me!!  ;D  ;D

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2011, 22:10:29 »

Thanks Damon and Jyr for you advice!  :y

Made a start on mine today, and she's coming alone (pics to follow).  Next thing I really need to tackle is the throttle body (the aluminium part directly in front of the plenum). Being bare aluminium, it has got what I can only describe as black staining on it, which really doesn't seem to want to shift...  >:(

I notice yours is spotless Damon! Whats your secret?

Glad to hear you've made a start - look forwards to seeing the pics  :)

I used a bit of Autosol - that got rid of the marks.  But there weren't that many marks on it to be honest.  If you don't have any Autosol, I'm sure Brasso would do the job  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 April 2011, 22:46:21 »

That looks sooo nice  8-)

Omega_Dan

« Reply #20 on: 11 April 2011, 20:04:55 »

Did mine a few months ago but must say looks very impressive :y

jyr001

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2011, 21:15:29 »

Glad to hear you've made a start - look forwards to seeing the pics  :)

I used a bit of Autosol - that got rid of the marks.  But there weren't that many marks on it to be honest.  If you don't have any Autosol, I'm sure Brasso would do the job  :y

Yep Autosol is probably the best. If it can bring out the best on tired alluminium castings on a cruddy bike engine it's got to be the best bet for this type of under bonnet work. The staple diet for most bikers cleaning kit; Gunk and Solvol Autosol. :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2011, 21:34:28 »

Autosol it is then! Cheers guys!

Now I just need the weather to improve again so I can get back outside!  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #23 on: 12 April 2011, 21:27:14 »

Just out of interest how long did it take to get it all that shiney?? Also did you buy a new header tank or did you somehow find a way to make the old one shiney and new looking?? :y
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 April 2011, 23:11:22 »

Tried the Autosol on my throttle body casing tonigjht, and it didn't touch it! Do you guys just use a cloth and elbow grease, or is there a trick I'm missing?  :-/

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2011, 10:01:07 »

Just out of interest how long did it take to get it all that shiney?? Also did you buy a new header tank or did you somehow find a way to make the old one shiney and new looking?? :y

About 4 hours all-in-all.

Nope, it's still on the original header tank.  It's had regular coolant changes , so the inside of it isn't stained rusty coloured.  Just went over the outside of it with some Gunk, and used the paintbrush to get into the nooks and crannies on it.  :y

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2011, 10:03:49 »

Tried the Autosol on my throttle body casing tonigjht, and it didn't touch it! Do you guys just use a cloth and elbow grease, or is there a trick I'm missing?  :-/

Yep, just elbow grease I'm afraid matey! :)  But, if yours is really badly marked, would sanding it down gently with some fine-grit sandpaper first do the job??  :-/

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2011, 00:58:15 »

Bling!! ;D
Im jealous, in a good way! :y

SHASSON

• Coatbridge Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 April 2011, 11:49:40 »

Nice 8-) :y 8-)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 April 2011, 19:24:51 »

Yep, just elbow grease I'm afraid matey! :)  But, if yours is really badly marked, would sanding it down gently with some fine-grit sandpaper first do the job??  :-/

Yeah good thinking! Might try some fine wet n dry!!  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.