Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V8 Big Brake UPGRADE 220$  (Read 5849 times)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
Re: V8 Big Brake UPGRADE 220$
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2010, 19:26:55 »

Yes they will, Monaro is same as GTO... but the C5 is has a bigger pad!
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2010, 19:46:57 »

Yes they will, Monaro is same as GTO... but the C5 is has a bigger pad!

Not quite right, the Corvette C5 and the Holden Monaro have the same size, the only difference is that the Holden Monaro pads comes with retension spring attach.

Holden Monaro brake pads DP31505C

Peter

MetalRush

• The Netherlands
    • 3.0 V6 Executive Irmscher
    • View Profile
    • Opel Omega Portal
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2010, 09:11:20 »

And if Omega6pot has the standard disks mounted, he can install the calipers without any problem.
Vega and myself did exactly the same  :P
Our Portal is online !  -->   http://www.OpelOmegaPortal.nl/  <--

Omega6pot

• Lisburn N.Ireland
  • Less Traction more action
    • 3.0 MV6 + 3.2 V6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 March 2010, 09:13:50 »

My discs are away getting drilled at the moment so i hope to get this kit and get them lookin super tasty! very tempted with the bigger pads hmmmmmm
Working on my 30th Omega 3.2 V6 Special

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 March 2010, 09:59:19 »

just a word of warning...

If you're contemplating upgrading the fronts, then you MUST, MUST also pay some attention to the rear as well. The main reason that the ABS is now coming on is that it's trying to lock the fronts much earlier, and at lower speeds - hence ABS action - hence actually increased stopping distances, not shorter.

There are many things to take into account when designing a braking system, such as the piston size, effective radius, brake factor, pad coefficient of friction, laden weight, percentage of that laden weight on the front wheels, unladen weight, weight transfer, centre of gravity height, front/rear pressure bias, ABS onset threshold, trailer towing, tyre size, ambient temperature - and so on. Even a simple change to one end of the vehicle affects the other end's braking.

Ask yourself this question..... "if I was involved in an accident and ended up in court, what kind of answer would I have if the judge asked "how do you know you haven't made the car less safe?"

and yes, I do design this sort of stuff for a living.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 March 2010, 10:11:45 »

thought I'd better keep the rant to a separate post.

the Holden / GTO front brake is better than the Omega B one, but not as good as it could be - mainly because it's no bigger. The Omega brake set-up is really pants on a number of fronts. The main advantage of the Holden is that it has a different type of caliper slider, which doesn't wear out as rapidly as the Lucas one.

There is also an advantage from having a bigger pad area, but only really for road-racing or the like.

I have a set of these on the Holden, which are good, but in no way up to the performance of the vehicle.

for the track car, I'm using 350mm discs, developed around Audi calipers and of course rears to match ( actually 330mm BMW discs and Lotus Carlton calipers ). This has been quite difficult to develop, as the track car has very little rear-end weight.

the biggest headache is usually the different weight bias - the Holden, for instance weighs as little as 660kg at the rear, compared to over 1000kg laden. Getting the brakes to work properly under these widely different circumstances is very difficult. At least with the track car, the rear never changes ( outside 70kg or so for fuel )
« Last Edit: 22 March 2010, 10:14:24 by 1417_stuart_grange »

Omega6pot

• Lisburn N.Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 March 2010, 10:18:23 »

Im fitting the later v6 vented rears discs to mine at the same time, although no bigger im hoping for some sort of gain. I find omega brakes are very easily warped, is there anyway of helping to reduce this?

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2010, 10:24:24 »

ye

buy Gm brake components
or  buy cheap motor factor brakes and not stand on the middle pedal hard :y

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 March 2010, 10:32:30 »

the warpage is caused by the caliper sliders wearing out. A small amount of wear causes vibration which quickly becomes warped discs.

OEM discs are of better quality and so resist warpage better. Mind you, OEM is actually ATE-brand - available from Euro Car Parts and not that expensive. GM discs these days are no better quality than cheap after-market ones.

regarding the later Omega rear discs & calipers, these should dissipate heat better as they're vented, but be aware that the piston size is bigger, which will reduce the rear brake effort. ( 42mm from 40mm )

anyone know the Holden / GTO front piston size ? (so I can work some stuff out)
« Last Edit: 22 March 2010, 10:34:15 by 1417_stuart_grange »

Omega6pot

• Lisburn N.Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2010, 13:36:24 »

Hi my discs are off a police vehicle which had the more expensive pads fitted unlike vauxhalls trade club rubbish, are there more expensive discs?

MetalRush

• The Netherlands
    • 3.0 V6 Executive Irmscher
    • View Profile
    • Opel Omega Portal
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2010, 15:00:20 »

anyone know the Holden / GTO front piston size ? (so I can work some stuff out)
Vega still has a set around... I'll ask him to measure it and post it here. I am curious about your findings.
(btw: I too have the 3.2 vented disks and calipers mounted at the back).
Using EBD red-stuff brake pads on all 4 disks.
I am driving mainly highway (~150km/day).
Our Portal is online !  -->   http://www.OpelOmegaPortal.nl/  <--

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 March 2010, 15:35:04 »

if all else stays the same, then going to 3.2 rear calipers will result in brake lock-up approximately 3% earlier than with the original piston size. The effect will be that the ABS will engage at lower speeds, increasing the braking distance. You will have full control over the vehicle during this time.

this is logical, as you've made the rear of the vehicle more efficient through greater force on the brake pads.

I've been writing a spreadsheet to cover this area. although not completely accurate, it's as good as I can make it and it also gives the required output for the brake Directive

Omega6pot

• Lisburn N.Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 March 2010, 16:08:28 »

hmmm dont know what to do now, will probably fit the 3.2 rears becuse my rear setup is knackered now and the police donor car i have has recently replaced parts. I wonder if the abs can be adjusted

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 March 2010, 16:17:13 »

I wonder if the abs can be adjusted

yes, by Bosch  ::)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 March 2010, 17:47:38 »

Alright its not as bad as you guys think...

I have only gotten ABS to kick in because I was full on the brakes and there was probably crap on the road surface that caused it in first place...

ABS kicking in does not increase your stopping distances. 
A locked wheel thats sliding on the surface has less coefficient of friction then one that is rolling on it...

Only time a non ABS vehicle stops faster then ABS one is on a gravel surface where some of the gravel piles up in front of the wheel and acts as a brake.

My experience with these brakes is this...

Brakes are designed to convert kinetic energy into heat via friction between the brakes and the rotor.

So any of the pad you choose will be significantly larger compared to stock.
Clamping forces from the larger twin caliper wtih 44mm pistons will provide the necessary force to squeeze the larger pads onto the rotors.

As a result you have more heat dissipation due to the larger pad/caliper combo and more effective braking.

The entire system is also much lighte which shaves overal vehicle wheit and that helps in many other ways.

I used to heat up my stock brakes to the point where they would fade and refuse to stop... and that was in normal traffic conditions with lots of stop and go...
With the new brakes that hasn't happened yet.
I also took a cross country trip going over many mountains sometimes climbing 10,000ft and then dropping down to 2000 on the other side, riding the brakes etc, and never even one time did they fade on me...

Not sure rear upgrades are necessary, if you do the fronts, the 40mm rears vs the 42mm will likely not provide significant difference 85% of the braking is done on the front...

I think the combo with Dual piston front calipers and 42mm rears is a nice one since it features full vented brakes all around.

I should mention that braking improvements with the larger set up are significant and quite enough to stop the work horse under the hood...  now for a V8 car these will never be enough.
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.