Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steaming up  (Read 2587 times)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Steaming up
« on: 27 October 2006, 10:57:57 »

hi guys, I've notice in the last couple of days wet weather that my Omega windows steam up really bad. The other night it was tipping it down and even on the motorway with the blower on full towards the 'screen it was struggling to keep it clear! If i tried to put some air down to keep my feet warm, it just fogged up again. I've no air con at the mo so this was on the ECO setting. The carpets are all dry enough so I don't think theres any major dampness in the car.
Could it be a damp pollen filter or is this just a trait of the omega? (I know a mate with an Astra has the same problem!)

Cheers Jim  
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Steaming up
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2006, 11:08:31 »

Howdoo Jim

Kinda wet, the past few days!!  

Could be a blocked drain beneath the pollen filter, causing water/damp to ender the car.  

Mine clogged up recently with leaves etc - Ipark under a tree at home.  A hand into the box with the pollen filter out and removes a load of gunge.  Then a powerwasher hose to clear the drain wich exits around your feet at the front wheel, so don't wear white shoes!!

HtH

B

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2006, 11:10:32 »

When was the pollen filter last changed......when they get clogged the ventilation efficiency drops...

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2006, 11:25:38 »

Thanks for the speedy reply guys  :) I'll check the drain, the scuttle is quite mucky and if remember correctly, the car was sitting under a tree/bush when I bought it! As for when the pollen filter was last changed, I haven't the foggiest (no pun intended  ;D) so I better do that too! Would it do any harm to run without the filter untill I get a new one?

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2006, 13:23:54 »

skuttle prob matey as mentioned - i found mine recently had some leaves and stuff in it. Helped big time afer poking about in the drain hole :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2006, 13:37:45 »

Mine does the same thing if I have the recirculation button pressed
Retired

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2006, 14:17:36 »

Mine does the same thing if I have the recirculation button pressed
Likewise, but then you're not getting fresh air in so it's likely do so. I never use the eco, it leaves a musty smell in the cabin.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2006, 15:58:26 »

As for when the pollen filter was last changed, I haven't the foggiest (no pun intended  ;D) so I better do that too! Would it do any harm to run without the filter untill I get a new one?

Cheers Jim

Running without the pollen filter will do no harm at all.  It is there to stop pollen entering the cabin - Love the not intended pun above!! ;D
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2006, 16:33:04 »

Thanks guys, going out just now to check the drain hole is clear and chuck the pollen filter until I get a new one  ;)

Cheers Jim

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2006, 17:45:56 »

Spot on diagnostic as usual from this site  :) i took out the filter and there was easily 4 handfulls of crud in the bottom of the housing! Damned difficult to reach with my thick arms (bring back child labour  ;)) but I finally got it out. It was so bad that I couldn't even see the drain hole! A few minutes with the pressure washer and it's almost clinicly clean in there again, hopefully that's the problem solved  :)

Cheers guys!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2006, 17:53:43 »

Spot on diagnostic as usual from this site  :) i took out the filter and there was easily 4 handfulls of crud in the bottom of the housing! Damned difficult to reach with my thick arms (bring back child labour  ;)) but I finally got it out. It was so bad that I couldn't even see the drain hole! A few minutes with the pressure washer and it's almost clinicly clean in there again, hopefully that's the problem solved  :)

Cheers guys!

what!!!!! bring back child labour!?!? when did it stop - my 8 year old is currently painting my eves  ;D not

Good to hear its sorted Jim - Roll on down the motorway with clear windaes tomorrow eh?  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2006, 17:59:59 »

Clear and cracked windeas Mark  :o That bit at the bottom corner that was delaminating and going white has now started to crack as well! I'll leave it a while as it's only at the bottom corner and sort it through the insurance later.

Cheers Jim

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2006, 09:51:36 »

Just an update incase someone else is suffering from steamy windows  ;) Cleaning the crud from the blocked drain hole in the air intake chamber (under top left plastic panel next to washer jet) helped a bit but I was still steaming up on the way to Birmingham. I removed the pollen filter completely for the return journey and the difference was amazing! I guess it's probably never been changed. I'm going to leave it out for the winter and put a new one in come spring.

Cheers Jim

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2006, 11:22:39 »

Just an update incase someone else is suffering from steamy windows  ;) Cleaning the crud from the blocked drain hole in the air intake chamber (under top left plastic panel next to washer jet) helped a bit but I was still steaming up on the way to Birmingham. I removed the pollen filter completely for the return journey and the difference was amazing! I guess it's probably never been changed. I'm going to leave it out for the winter and put a new one in come spring.

Cheers Jim
they are only around £4 on TC, I'd replace it now...

Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2006, 13:50:00 »

My pollen filter ingested a load of snow last winter and gave me terrible fogging probs. Ran for about 3 months without one, looking at the damp one i removed, it was only there to stop spiders getting into the car   ;D  full of cobwebs
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.