Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake Pedal Creep  (Read 11515 times)

Idris

• View Profile
Re: Brake Pedal Creep
« Reply #30 on: 17 December 2006, 19:35:20 »

well, this may or may not be the problem ... but there IS a Vx TIS bulletin (E0000880) which says:

complaint:
"poor performance"
"brake pedal goes to the floor"

- this affects many cars, not just the omega ...

cause:
"air bubbles trapped within the ABS unit"

remedy:
"use TECH1 to operate the ABS unit pump whilst simultaneously bleeding the system with a pressure bleeder"

... has this been done already?

Not as far as I know - but this is NOT just air! It it were just air in the system the pedal would go down far enough to compress the air virtually to nothing and then become firm and stay firm. What is happening to mine is that it goes half way down (say), becomes reasonably firm - and then carried on going down as a function of TIME not pressure - which can ONLY be viscous fluid being forced through a hole - not air.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 December 2006, 19:54:29 »

I know Marks_DTM has got ait stuck in ABS unit before, hopefully he can enlighten us on the symptoms....
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 December 2006, 20:26:32 »

I would phone Vauxhall Customer Services 01582 427200, explain the problems you are having with the dealer.

Mention that you understand from a reliable source there is a Vx TIS bulletin (E0000880) on this problem.

If you approach them courteously, I think you will find them very reasonable and understanding.

I would also suggest to them that you would like another dealer to examine the problem, as you are not satisfied with the current dealer.

This should not be a problem, as you can take a Network Q warranty claim to any dealer.
I like red cars

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 December 2006, 21:42:21 »

Not sure if i missed it some where but is your car a deisel?  If so continual pressure on the brake pedal while the car is stopped with engine running will induce the fault your describing due to the brake servo action and this is normal and applies to nearly all deisels on the market.  On a deisel it uses a mechanical vacuum pump to create a vacuum for the servo, so the vacuum servo action builds up on one side of the servo and in effect pulls the pedal down, on a petrol engine unless there is a fault with the servo (assuming no visible leaks , master cylinder has been replaced and brake action and travel feel normal when driving i.e they pull up okay and in balance) the amount of vacuum stays consitant with the engine idle speed. So if its a petrol engine and all the above okay i would suspect a servo problem?

You came in that, your braver than i thought

Idris

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 December 2006, 23:24:35 »

Not sure if i missed it some where but is your car a deisel?  If so continual pressure on the brake pedal while the car is stopped with engine running will induce the fault your describing due to the brake servo action and this is normal and applies to nearly all deisels on the market.  On a deisel it uses a mechanical vacuum pump to create a vacuum for the servo, so the vacuum servo action builds up on one side of the servo and in effect pulls the pedal down, on a petrol engine unless there is a fault with the servo (assuming no visible leaks , master cylinder has been replaced and brake action and travel feel normal when driving i.e they pull up okay and in balance) the amount of vacuum stays consitant with the engine idle speed. So if its a petrol engine and all the above okay i would suspect a servo problem?

Thanks -but petrol. The only cause that matches the symptom is a fluid leak - and almost certainly in a ABS valve, as the master cylinder has been changed. I have seen a number of web sites on this issue giving the same symptom and diagnosis - and a MOT tester site which says that this symptom must fail the MOT.

Idris

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 December 2006, 09:30:59 »

I have had the exact same problems on my Vectra, I have bled the brakes a number of times and even 'excercised' the ABS modulator with Tec2 to ensure there are no bubbles trapped in the ABS unit.

The fault has been traced to the ABS unit by clamping the hoses to the calipers and replacing the master cylinder, the ABS unit is the only item left unchecked.

As stated somewhere else it's worth checking the 'bba-reman' site as that's the cheapest place I can find a replacement ABS unit (The Bosch one in mine is over 1K from a stealers but a remanufactured one from bba is 380), it's no use buying one from a scrappy unless you can test it with the engine running and drive it around the block etc.

Trouble is that I only want to use the Vectra to trade in against a meega now so I really don't want to spend the money (also needs a manifold gasket!) and barely get the money back trading it in... may as well sell the parts on eBay, i'd make more....!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 December 2006, 09:45:42 »

The fault has been traced to the ABS unit by clamping the hoses to the calipers and replacing the master cylinder, the ABS unit is the only item left unchecked.

That's something I forgot to mention in my ramblings. I did that too. I clamped all the flexi hoses to the calipers and the brake pedal was rock hard, so I could eliminate the ABS/master cylinder etc from my suspicions. I also checked, (and had a second opinion on), the flexi pipes for 'balooning' so other than the calipers, (of which I tried two different pairs on both front and back!!), there wasn't much left!
« Last Edit: 18 December 2006, 09:51:34 by Big_Rod »
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Idris

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 December 2006, 10:41:27 »

That's something I forgot to mention in my ramblings. I did that too. I clamped all the flexi hoses to the calipers and the brake pedal was rock hard, so I could eliminate the ABS/master cylinder etc from my suspicions. I also checked, (and had a second opinion on), the flexi pipes for 'balooning' so other than the calipers, (of which I tried two different pairs on both front and back!!), there wasn't much left!

Thanks - faxed the dealer a 2 page letter last nght, with all the relevant info on anotjher 4 oages, saying I refuse to accept that they cannot recognise (a) that there is a fault (b) the causes, and asking for a date when I can take it back in to be fixed. Also saying it is too dangerous to drive any distance.

Seems to me we have opened a can of worms here - how many ABS cars are bring driven around by people who do not keep pedal pressure on long enough and/or do not realise that the pedal is (a) continuing to go down (b) should not continue to go down?

Worth a word in the ear of the relevant authorities?

Idris

PS You may have heard of my application to the European Court of Human Rights over the right to silence in S172 1988 RTA - the right to silence. If anyone gets a NIP, contact me before doing anything

IF  irfrancis@onetel.com  see also www.safespeed.org.uk and www.abd.org.uk

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 December 2006, 13:25:12 »

One thing I forgot to mention about the failure of ABS pumps is that it is supposed to be caused by the wrong procedure when fitting new pads....

When retracting the pistons back into the calipers you should release the bleed nipple and let the fluid push out through the path of least resistance (the bleed nipple), however, the quick but wrong way is to push the fluid back into the reservior which on ABS equipped cars causes the ABS Modulator to have fluid forced through it in reverse....

Obviously a stealer would always use the correct procedure... obviously, cough, splutter

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 December 2006, 13:57:29 »

Its classic of the symptoms I have seen on a car with air in the ABS modulator.

In this case it requried a scan tool to operate teh ABS unit and about 2 litres of brake fluid to be forced through in order to clear it.

The systems used on the Omega do give a progressive pedal (more so on later units with the power stop servo) but, there should be NO pedal creep.

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 December 2006, 21:06:33 »

One thing I forgot to mention about the failure of ABS pumps is that it is supposed to be caused by the wrong procedure when fitting new pads....

When retracting the pistons back into the calipers you should release the bleed nipple and let the fluid push out through the path of least resistance (the bleed nipple), however, the quick but wrong way is to push the fluid back into the reservior which on ABS equipped cars causes the ABS Modulator to have fluid forced through it in reverse....

Obviously a stealer would always use the correct procedure... obviously, cough, splutter

This is a usefull thing to know :o :o!! Glad I haven't had to do my pads yet , 'cos I would have F*%ked my ABS modulator :o :o!

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 December 2006, 15:24:40 »

I checked for this yesterday on mine whilst stopped at traffic lights - and can confirm there was NO discernable pedal creep on mine either.  :)

Idris

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 January 2007, 12:29:41 »

My brake creep problem has still not been resolved, dealers deny any problem!

It would be most helpful if everyone who has an Omega tests for this problem and tells me whether they have or do not have the same symptoms. Rather than clog up this web site with those messages, please just send me an email saying "I have same brake creep symptoms" or "I do NOT have same brake creep symptom. " The ones that do NOT will confirm that this is NOT normal, the ones that do will indicate the scale of the problem

Thanks

Idris

This continuing problem is only one of many reasons to believe that the world has gone mad!

Symtoms of brake problem on Y reg Vauxhall Omega Estate 2.2 litre petrol engined.

1/ Pedal travel is long, and feel then "spongy"

2/ Applying normal pedal pressure to stop, eg for a red light, and then maintaing that pressure (not increasing it) results in the pedal creeping slowly down until eventually it (seems to) hit the end of travel of the master cylinder.

3/ Releasing the pedal and then re-applying it rapidly results in much less pedal travel and a firmer "feel" - followed by the same slow creep down.

As the master cylinder has been changed to no effect, and there is no loss of fluid from the resevoir, these symptoms tell me - with the aid of comments from many of you and various web sites - that there is a slight leak in one or more of the ABS valves, due to corrosion or debris keep it or them slightly open.

This "creep" was not noticeable a month ago when I got a new MOT, and when I first noticed it a week or  so later - because I had been bleeding brakes on another car - it took higher than normal pressure to notice very slow creep - to the point that I had to check several times to make sure it was happening.

Now however, after no more than another 50 miles, it happens with perfectly normal pedal pressure, and the rate of creep has increased to the extent that the pedal reaches the limit of its travel in the time it takes traffic lights to change from just going red to green.

All of these tell me that this is a dangerous fault that is getting rapidly worse and that I should not drive it again until it is fixed.

However the Vauxhall main dealer gave it back to me again just before Christmas flatly denying that there is any problem - that these symptoms are "normal" - they have not commented on the fact that the symptoms are getting rapidly worse. Another Omega in for service had the same symptoms, though not as bad as mine.

I telephone VOSA (Vehicle Operators Service Agency) who checked and told me that this is not a safety critical fault (!) and that modern engine management systems do cause the pedal to go slowly to the floor when the car is stationary - but that the ABS system knows when the wheels are turning and immediately restores proper operation!

They were unable to explain why anyone would design a system to do this, nor why the symptoms would change and get worse. Nor why any designer felt it necessary to reduce braking power when stationary - they had no answer to my question of what happens when stopped at road works, for example, on a steep hill.

I did not think to ask them wny no explanation of these symptoms - which would clearly worrry anyone not familiar with them - is given in the drivers' handbook.

It is of course not possible to check for these symptoms when on the move, because pedal pressure necessary to show up the symptoms would bring the car to a halt before the creep had become noticeable.

Yet despite these "explanations" a MOT testers web wite states unequivocally that brake creep of this kind is an automatic "fail"

Comments please!

Cheers

Idris

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 January 2007, 12:33:29 »

I have tested mine a few times since you first posted.

I have NO creep on my 1998 MV6 Omega.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2007, 12:41:49 »

I have tested mine a few times since you first posted.

I have NO creep on my 1998 MV6 Omega.

I have a slight amount on my 99 Elite but the pedal doesn't go to the floor.  Since this thread has started I've tried, but I do find myself pumping the pedal slightly when I'm breaking from high speed ie down the off-slip of the motorway and the feel is definitely better after a pump or two (ooer!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.