Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Throttle Cable  (Read 1164 times)

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Throttle Cable
« on: 20 February 2007, 17:55:55 »

This is likely to be dim post of the day but here goes.

Trying to embark on the camcover gasket replacement procedure and got as far as removing the throttle cable (yes that far..).   Got the little paperclip thing off and expected the ball and socket to come apart (no mention of any trickery in any of the guides/Haynes etc) but the bugger won't come off.

I'm aware that I could leave it attached to the plenum but as a) as I want to give the plenum a good clean and b) I'm stubborn, I want to remove it.

Is this a brute force job (I'm concerned lest I damage the throttle mechanism or further damage the cable ball) or is there something I'm not aware of?  I've given it a soak in WD40 in blind hope but no joy.

Cheers

Ian

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle Cable
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2007, 18:17:56 »

take the paperclip thing completely out  (slide it towards the rear of the car) then give the socket  a good wiggle.  Mine was stuck but eventually freed itself.  Strangely enough I think it is worse when it is cold.  
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2007, 19:16:11 »

This is likely to be dim post of the day but here goes.

Trying to embark on the camcover gasket replacement procedure and got as far as removing the throttle cable (yes that far..).   Got the little paperclip thing off and expected the ball and socket to come apart (no mention of any trickery in any of the guides/Haynes etc) but the bugger won't come off.

I'm aware that I could leave it attached to the plenum but as a) as I want to give the plenum a good clean and b) I'm stubborn, I want to remove it.

Is this a brute force job (I'm concerned lest I damage the throttle mechanism or further damage the cable ball) or is there something I'm not aware of?  I've given it a soak in WD40 in blind hope but no joy.

Cheers

Ian

Please dont be afraid to ask ANYTHING on the forum Ian. You'd be surprised at how patient and understanding the people on here are :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2007, 20:15:14 »

If the clip is out, you just need to force the ball out of socket...
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2007, 20:20:16 »

there's a ball on the throttle, the end of the cable (spring) clips over this, the clip locks it in place - so remove the clip first - from memory on my old omega I think I used a pair of pliers to get it off initially ... the one on my current one is a bit looser and can be pulled off fairly easily ...

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2007, 20:51:06 »

Had that problem with my mates 2.0 estate, just wouldn't come out.
I like red cars

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2007, 21:35:47 »

Thanks all

The Boy -my eyes are watering but I think I get the message!

Cheers,

Ian

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2007, 09:54:37 »

LOL it had me fighting for ages with it to get mine off first time with the clip removed, second time i need to remove it i just could not get it off and it did my head in and i gave up.

Craig
« Last Edit: 21 February 2007, 09:55:28 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2007, 18:51:32 »

Well it still refuses to come off even after a night soaking in wd40 and some gentle warming, so I've given up for the moment.   Any more force and I think i'm likely to risk bending the cam mechanism or destroy the socket on the throttle cable - already doesn't look pretty.

Am I right that the throttle housing needs to come off the plenum for cleaning?  If so, at least I can get the plenum itself off the car.

Cheers,

Ian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2007, 19:03:02 »

Well it still refuses to come off even after a night soaking in wd40 and some gentle warming, so I've given up for the moment.   Any more force and I think i'm likely to risk bending the cam mechanism or destroy the socket on the throttle cable - already doesn't look pretty.

Am I right that the throttle housing needs to come off the plenum for cleaning?  If so, at least I can get the plenum itself off the car.

Cheers,

Ian
The throttle body needs to come off for proper cleaning
Grumpy old man

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2007, 19:53:00 »

Twist it lightly as you pull it too. Pulling at an angle might help too.

Be careful not to damage it like I did though. I damaged the edge where one of the holes are for the clip. I had to shorten the clip down in the end to get it to fit.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2007, 22:30:18 »

Be careful not to damage it like I did though. I damaged the edge where one of the holes are for the clip. I had to shorten the clip down in the end to get it to fit.
I did that too the other day, when my throttle cable wouldn't come off the ball. I had a 1mm drill though to open out the hole a little.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2007, 23:57:32 »

Hmm - suspect I have managed that too - and still the b'stad isn't off.  I have tried rotating the socket, different angles etc  although I'm also concerned about damaging the throttle cable (don't need yet another job)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.