Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Leakage  (Read 2138 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Leakage
« on: 02 May 2007, 09:36:44 »

Hello from Finland. I drive 2.6.V6 Elegance 2001 model. I have very small leakage somewhere in coolant system lets say 0.5 litres each three months. No leakage can be seen but there is a slight glycol smell when I open the door after drive. Do you have experience of this ?

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
Re: Leakage
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2007, 10:27:16 »

It is either the HBV valve or the oill cooler. Mine had a small leakage in one of the pipe fittings in the cooler, had to replace the whole thing (no ttoo cheap), the HBV is affordable and easier to change. Not too many other possibilities. Also sent you a pm in Finnish...  :)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2007, 11:36:45 »

It is either the HBV valve or the oill cooler. Mine had a small leakage in one of the pipe fittings in the cooler, had to replace the whole thing (no ttoo cheap), the HBV is affordable and easier to change. Not too many other possibilities. Also sent you a pm in Finnish...  :)

There is always a chance of a small leak from a hose or from the radiator drain tap, but as said above by far the most likely reasons for having to top-up coolant on the V6 are Heater Bypass Valve and the Oil Cooler.

Also, you need to make sure that you are using Vauxhall/Opel Red Antifreeze (not green) with 50/50 concentration, and that it is replaced often (1-2 years). Officially its is 2 years for the green coolant and 5 years for the red coolant, but go for the red coolant and replace maximum every 2 years. The oil cooler is very sensitive to corrosion, apparently even the newer stainless steel ones..
Alas, no more Omegas....

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2007, 11:40:47 »

I would think it would be the HBV as if it was the oil cooler there would be evidence of oil in the water.
Retired

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2007, 11:48:28 »

I would think it would be the HBV as if it was the oil cooler there would be evidence of oil in the water.

Makes sense, but when my oil cooler went all I notices was lose of coolant but not oil in header tank... I think it depends on how if fails, it could be just the area around the oil cooler that is leaking i.e. the cover plate etc?
Alas, no more Omegas....

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2007, 11:52:20 »

Makes sense, but when my oil cooler went all I notices was lose of coolant but not oil in header tank... I think it depends on how if fails, it could be just the area around the oil cooler that is leaking i.e. the cover plate etc?
[/highlight]

Yep could be  :y
Retired

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2007, 11:55:13 »

Count youself lucky, mine is now losing .5 litres every 3 hours!  car running or not!
You can watch it dripping out the bottom, but cannot see where it is coming from :(

Its with a mechanic friend today for this and a few other jobs, here's hoping!

BrianH

• Bexley,Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2007, 22:17:52 »

Mines the same slight loss of coolent dripping from bottom of gearbox HBV changed last week drips still there really need to post for other ideas but will have to wait untill after MOT in June removed Plenum and inlet bridge to check DIS pack was dry. It was so leak must be lower down in engine.  

Brian

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2007, 23:08:04 »

Mines the same slight loss of coolent dripping from bottom of gearbox HBV changed last week drips still there really need to post for other ideas but will have to wait untill after MOT in June removed Plenum and inlet bridge to check DIS pack was dry. It was so leak must be lower down in engine.  

Brian

Did you remove both the inlet manifold (the bit with the injector rail) AND the intake flange underneath it? You could have a leak from the oil cooler cover plate or from the coolant bridge, but you will only be able to check this if you remove the intake flange as well.

Alas, no more Omegas....

BrianH

• Bexley,Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2007, 23:29:20 »

Hi markjay
I removed injector rail so I could see what looked like coolent bridge (bit with 2 pipes and temp sensor)
but did not want to disturb anything else at that time until I was sure what to check. It looked like I would need gaskets etc and I needed to keep car on road.
Next stage is to go one stage further to expose, I presume thermostat and you mentioned oil cooler.
I have no trace of oil in header tank or gunge in filler cap or on dipstick all pefectly clean. Cars now done 78000 miles on T plate so possible it could be oil cooler is it all visible if you remove plate that you mentioned.

Brian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2007, 08:47:16 »

Hi markjay
I removed injector rail so I could see what looked like coolent bridge (bit with 2 pipes and temp sensor)
but did not want to disturb anything else at that time until I was sure what to check. It looked like I would need gaskets etc and I needed to keep car on road.
Next stage is to go one stage further to expose, I presume thermostat and you mentioned oil cooler.
I have no trace of oil in header tank or gunge in filler cap or on dipstick all pefectly clean. Cars now done 78000 miles on T plate so possible it could be oil cooler is it all visible if you remove plate that you mentioned.

Brian
If you saw the oil cooler plate and the stat housing, and it was dry, it is unlikely you are losing coolant from there...
Grumpy old man

BrianH

• Bexley,Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2007, 09:05:57 »

Hi TB

Not sure what its called I presume its inlet manifold (bit with injectors fitted) was the last bit removed.
This left flattish plate with gaskets and bridge visible but could still not see any coolent stains but I think its only leaking when pressurised, does that plate remove easily?

Brian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2007, 09:47:02 »

Hi TB

Not sure what its called I presume its inlet manifold (bit with injectors fitted) was the last bit removed.
This left flattish plate with gaskets and bridge visible but could still not see any coolent stains but I think its only leaking when pressurised, does that plate remove easily?

Brian

Did you remove the plastic bit below this with about 10 million bolts in? This needs to come off to check if oil cooler cover is leaking...
Grumpy old man

BrianH

• Bexley,Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2007, 12:50:50 »

Hi TB

Brian

Did you remove the plastic bit below this with about 10 million bolts in? This needs to come off to check if oil cooler cover is leaking...

Guess thats my next job then

Brian

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2007, 23:43:16 »

This is what you need to remove to gain access to area where the coolant bridge, thermostat, and the oil cooler cover plate are:

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.