Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exhaust manifold help please  (Read 875 times)

holey head

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds uk
  • i'm a new dad
    • View Profile
exhaust manifold help please
« on: 28 July 2007, 12:32:59 »

hi all

i've just bought exhaust manifold for miggy but then looked through manual and at car and it looks like a BIG job, is it a big job or is it quite easy? if anyone near leeds who could do it that would be great, just tell me how much!!!

cheers steve
« Last Edit: 28 July 2007, 12:53:36 by sparks3ks »
ouch my head hurts! i'll try and remember to wear my helmet next time i'm out on the quad!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2007, 12:35:11 »

hi all

i've just bought exhaust manifold for miggy but then looked through manual and at car and it looks like a BIG job, is it a big job or is it quite easy? if anyone near leeds who could do it that would be great, just tell me how much!!!

cheers steve
I think the 2.0l ones is easier than v6 ones ;)
Grumpy old man

holey head

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds uk
  • i'm a new dad
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust manifold
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2007, 12:36:26 »

looks really awkward to get at all of it!

ouch my head hurts! i'll try and remember to wear my helmet next time i'm out on the quad!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust manifold help please
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2007, 15:31:21 »

Having done mine twice and done my dads now, it can be a real pain but the rewards are worth it.

How I did mine was unbolt the cat from the underneath at the down pipe end 4x 13mm bolts from memory.

Remove the rear breather pipe oil separator if you have one or just remove the rubber breather pipe, usually held on with spring clips.

Working from the top remove the bracket which hold the heat shield in place.

Remove the heatshield 3x bolts or screws

Remove the rubber breather pipe which comes from the metal rail.

Remove the metal rail held by 2 bolts hex type, allen key type from memory. Removing this rail can be fiddly as it goes around the rear breather pipe.

Then its a case of removing the studs/nuts for the manifold itself. Once the studs/nuts are off/out the manifold should just pull off the block.

Always use a genuine gasket and new studs/nuts from Vx as copies dont last as I found out.

The first time I did this I did it in a day, I can now do it in even less time with all the practice so worth having a go yourself.

I also recommend using some penetrating fluid on the downpipe to manifold bolts the night before as the y can break which is one downside. also if you can do the same with the manifold studs/nuts as this makes life easier when removing and hopefully helps to prevent studs snapping.

Good luck if you have ago yourself. :y
« Last Edit: 28 July 2007, 15:38:20 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2007, 11:03:11 »

Having done mine twice and done my dads now, it can be a real pain but the rewards are worth it.

How I did mine was unbolt the cat from the underneath at the down pipe end 4x 13mm bolts from memory.

Remove the rear breather pipe oil separator if you have one or just remove the rubber breather pipe, usually held on with spring clips.

Remove the metal rail held by 2 bolts hex type, allen key type from memory. Removing this rail can be fiddly as it goes around the rear breather pipe.

Then its a case of removing the studs/nuts for the manifold itself. Once the studs/nuts are off/out the manifold should just pull off the block.

Always use a genuine gasket and new studs/nuts from Vx as copies dont last as I found out.

The first time I did this I did it in a day, I can now do it in even less time with all the practice so worth having a go yourself.

I also recommend using some penetrating fluid on the downpipe to manifold bolts the night before as the y can break which is one downside. also if you can do the same with the manifold studs/nuts as this makes life easier when removing and hopefully helps to prevent studs snapping.

I think you should do a How2 ;)
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2007, 16:39:17 »

I think you should do a How2 ;)

I shall give it ago  ;D :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.