Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: brake pad sensors  (Read 701 times)

OMEGA VXR

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicester
  • I love my Omega
    • View Profile
brake pad sensors
« on: 29 February 2008, 17:27:23 »

Today Ive changed the discs & pads alround & forgot to buy the pad sensors for the front so Ill get them tomorrow (the old ones are still connected but not to the pads), the question is why is'nt the ECU finding the fault & showing it up on the MID :question

Cheers
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/WJones_2007/Lee%20Photos/DSCF0113-2.jpg[/IMG]  [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/WJones_2007/Lee%20Photos/DSCF0114-1.jpg[/IMG]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: brake pad sensors
« Reply #1 on: 29 February 2008, 17:32:43 »

Today Ive changed the discs & pads alround & forgot to buy the pad sensors for the front so Ill get them tomorrow (the old ones are still connected but not to the pads), the question is why is'nt the ECU finding the fault & showing it up on the MID :question

Cheers
Sounds like old ones are not broken, in which case, clip them in the pads and reuse!
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 February 2008, 17:44:02 »

Cheers

When you have a new sensor the circuit is complete ie closed loop. When the pad wears out (in reality there'll be load of life left) the sensor starts to wear out on the disc. When the sensor eventually wears through the circuit becomes broken and then the electrickery
behind the systems puts the message on the display.
In my case the last time the message came up it was another 6 months before I changed the pads.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 February 2008, 17:48:53 »

Cheers

When you have a new sensor the circuit is complete ie closed loop. When the pad wears out (in reality there'll be load of life left) the sensor starts to wear out on the disc. When the sensor eventually wears through the circuit becomes broken and then the electrickery
behind the systems puts the message on the display.
In my case the last time the message came up it was another 6 months before I changed the pads.  ;D
About a third left.  Which is right time to change them in my book - beyond this and they seem to lack the ability to dissipate the heat. Not sure why, as the surface area won't change much  :-/
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 February 2008, 17:53:14 »

........About a third left.  
Depends how big the unworn lip of your disc is!  ;)  :y

Which is right time to change them in my book - beyond this and they seem to lack the ability to dissipate the heat. Not sure why, as the surface area won't change much  :-/
 :-? Not sure I'd agree but no harm in changing them then. I should look at putting sensors on the back too. I eventually had my hand forced when it came to checking the rears last summer. I ran out of lining!  :-[  :-[

alanfp

• Chelmsford, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2008, 00:26:05 »

Same happened to me ... can someone remind me why Vauxhall thought it was a good idea to not bother with wear sensors on the rear?????????
Alan

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2008, 10:00:14 »

Same happened to me ... can someone remind me why Vauxhall thought it was a good idea to not bother with wear sensors on the rear?????????
The pad wear should be much lower on the rear.  And you would check them visually as stated in the service schedule, wouldn't you ;)
Grumpy old man

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2008, 17:51:53 »

Came to change the rear pads only to find the 'pad' had seperated from the back plate on all four, but still a good 3mm of pad left ie they last longer regarding wear but fall to pieces with age, bit like the driver !!!!!   :) :)
regards
richard
richard a
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.