Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Spring Change  (Read 546 times)

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
Rear Spring Change
« on: 15 June 2008, 21:31:20 »

Big thanks to Marks DTM Calib for the guide!  :y :y :y

I kept running back indoors to check out the pictures and descriptions as I went through it this afternoon.  (Don't ask SWMBO about the dirty fingerprints on all the doors between the car and the computer  ;)

I'd been getting really bad wear on the inner edge of a rear tyre recently which prompted the investigation.  MOT time soon so it had to be done.

I bought springs from fleabay, which seemed a damn site bigger than the ones I replaced.  It's the first time I've had the whole rear end of the car off the floor only supported by axle stands too - pretty nerve-wracking as it goes up - had to use a big block of wood with the jack to get it up high enough.
I managed to get the old ones out really easily - both had snapped at some point.  Now, getting the new ones in - that's where the challenge lies.
I'd dropped the diff down as far as the exhaust allowed, which still didn't give anywhere near enough room - the spring needed to shrink about 3 inches to get into the mounts.  Well, it's Sunday afternoon, it's 16:45 so the shops are shut - time for some innovation.  So, I had some very, very nervous moments with a vice, some wire and a few roof-rack straps before the first one eventually went in.  Spurred on by the momentary success of getting one spring in I started about the doing the same with the other one, only this side seemed to need to shrink a bit more, or I was getting weaker, or there just wasn't as much clearance because of the exhuast.
Anyway - after a lot of swearing (mightn't help, but made me feel better at the time) the second one went in.  Started to jack the diff up and, uh-oh - it began to slip off the jack head.  PANIC!!
Well, as it happened I thought it looked a bit 'iffy' as I put the first spring in, so I grabbed the spare jack from the boot - yes the really crap jack that GM give you for 'emergencies'.  This seemed like one - because, f*** me - that diff weighs a bloody ton!!  I managed to stop the big jack sliding out from under the diff with one arm whilst wiggling the stupid GM jack just in behind.  After about 15 minutes of sweat pouring off my brow and not one single passer-by coming along the street to send for a bit of help, the crisis was averted.
Anyway - the rest went smooth as - although I would warn people that the captive nut/plates that are in the body wiggle about a bit - crapped myself as they came out thinking I'd never ever, ever get them back in!

Car lowered down, and blimey did it look high!!!  The back end was sky high - fear set in.  But I thought, sod it - and took the car off down the country lanes to see what my handiwork had done.  Felt fine, no big bangs, no annoying rattles (yet) and by the time I came back and put it on the drive the rear end had dropped to a sensible level.

Job done.  Great feeling of satisfaction - now, where'd I put that beer?

No way would I have tackled this job without seeing the pictures of someone doing it themselves - or without the knowledge that this forum full of help was but a click away...  

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Spring Change
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2008, 21:32:09 »

Well done, always satisfying completing a job

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2008, 21:36:13 »

Done a few of these in the last coupel of weeks, M_DTM's guide is absolutely spot on
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2008, 21:56:00 »

Did the same thing yesterday.  Mine was broken farther up, so I was able to replace it without lowering the diff.  Ditto on not doing it without advice from others here!  :y
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.