Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick battery question  (Read 801 times)

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
Quick battery question
« on: 23 September 2008, 11:56:28 »

Looking at trade club prices, and noticed the 3.0 mig should have a 72a/hr batt.

However I noticed there’s an 85 a/hr battery which is for the 3.2's... Will the 85a/hr battery physically fit in the battery tray still? :-/
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Quick battery question
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2008, 12:01:56 »

it is a diferent size code, but dunno, I wondered the same when I changed mine.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2008, 12:28:36 »

However I noticed there’s an 85 a/hr battery which is for the 3.2's... Will the 85a/hr battery physically fit in the battery tray still? :-/

Don't :-/ .... but have you seen the size of a 2.5 dieasel battery? :o They're HUGE and fill the battery tray!

I think you'll be fine with the proper 72 A/Hr battery as you'll find that a lot of 3.0 have the 65A/Hr on
« Last Edit: 23 September 2008, 12:29:53 by Andy_B »

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2008, 12:40:22 »

Don't :-/ .... but have you seen the size of a 2.5 dieasel battery? :o They're HUGE and fill the battery tray!

I think you'll be fine with the proper 72 A/Hr battery as you'll find that a lot of 3.0 have the 65A/Hr on

The one on mine is tiny at the moment. Battery is smaller than the one fitted to my 1.8 vectra  :o Had the radio on for an hr or so other month, and it was flat as a fart!

Saw a 2.5TD mig last night, and the battery in that was MASSIVE, however it was only the 66amp/hr rating (guessing its got more cold cranking power though??). Visually, that battery wouldn't fit  mine :-/
« Last Edit: 23 September 2008, 12:40:40 by Ian_D »
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2008, 13:21:46 »

Whilst the capacity and CCA of a battery might be significant when new, I believe quality plays a much bigger part as soon as the battery has aged a little.

Those two ratings don't tell the whole story either. They represent the discharge at a 20 hour rate (way slower than when it is discharged when trying to start the car), and the maximum current output at a temperature lower than we are likely to see in the UK.

Batteries are seldom discharged to anything like their true capacity so the fact is that you could probably get away with a 15AH battery as long the it could deliver the required cranking current - provided you don't use too many electrical items when the engine is stopped.

A more hefty battery might last a little longer in a given application, but then again quality is probably the biggest factor.

I recently changed the battery in my Westfield for one physically identical to the one I've had on it for 5 years - but new, and it cranks much easier than the old battery ever did even when new. I always suspected the starter motor was not man enough as even when the old battery was new I always had trouble restarting after refuelling, but with the new battery it is perfectly happy. The funny thing is that both the CCA and the AH ratings of the new battery are lower then the old one yet in real world usage it's a better battery. They are both Halfrauds own brand too, although probably from different suppliers.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

stuy112

• York
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2008, 15:26:44 »

Just like this?

« Last Edit: 23 September 2008, 15:27:27 by stuy112 »

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2008, 15:48:24 »

Bought a new battery for my Elite  3weeks ago wanted 72a/hr  at local VX dealer they says no longer in order list gone on to using the 65a/h model so bought that one comes up new prt number 93189923 £53.22 T/C
Probably get one from car spares but bought from them in the past they dont seem to last ! well mine has'nt ::)
& yup the bigger batteries are bigger and weigh a ton got one in my c/van :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.