Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody Clickity Clack........  (Read 2918 times)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Clickity Clack........
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2009, 11:11:03 »

How to avoid the "crack of doom"

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1161105965

If its already done the damage ... :(

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152902108

Got a replacement from local scrappie for four quid.
Bugger of a job to fit though ..... !
HTH

Ooh, I dunno, seems a bit pricey to me! ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2009, 15:30:48 »

I strongly advice removing the door and put it flat on the ground before starting on this task, this way you can place the door check strap on the correct spot easily.. Its easy acctualy..

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2009, 15:32:40 »

I strongly advice removing the door and put it flat on the ground before starting on this task, this way you can place the door check strap on the correct spot easily.. Its easy acctualy..

Cheers for that Shagma, may try that! :y :y

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2009, 15:49:19 »

performed this repair on my left side front door, took me about 1 hour all in all.. putting in a flat steel brick to reinforce the area..Good luck:)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2009, 17:15:43 »

Just remember that miggy doors are Bloody Heavy ... take a lot of care .... and get some strong lads in to help .... :y :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2009, 17:40:11 »

Just remember that miggy doors are Bloody Heavy ... take a lot of care .... and get some strong lads in to help .... :y :y :y :y

.. and if you don't disconnect the battery first the airbag ECU will get in a strop.

Personally, I didn't find it too bad to change the strap. a bit fiddly to get everything lined up but not bad enough to justify removing the door IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2009, 17:56:12 »

Personally, I didn't find it too bad to change the strap. a bit fiddly to get everything lined up but not bad enough to justify removing the door IMHO.

Kevin

It might be easier if you did as per TIS and replaced the failed section in the front edge of the door.
This is the driver's side :-

Both my front doors have been 'repaired' using just stainless repair plates though!  ;)  :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #37 on: 09 January 2009, 17:57:30 »

You are right Entwood and I hadn't given that much thought! :o :o :o
Thanks! :y :y :y

I think I will do what you and Kevin suggests and try it first without taking the door off. 8-) 8-)  I just don't want to make this operation more difficult than it should be, and I am certainly not strong enough to support that door.  My two sons are a long off, and the few men I know locally are all wimps! :D :D ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #38 on: 09 January 2009, 17:59:03 »

Kevin

It might be easier if you did as per TIS and replaced the failed section in the front edge of the door.
This is the driver's side :-

Both my front doors have been 'repaired' using just stainless repair plates though!  ;)  :y

Thanks Andy! :y

Is that the Vx part number I can see in black ink on the plate? :-/

Do you fit it from inside the door?  i.e. vi the speaker hole? :-?

Cheers :y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2009, 18:00:16 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 January 2009, 18:40:19 »

Yes Lizzie, that's the part number, it was only a few quid to buy a couple of years back. It's still in my garage because on reflection the full TIS repair wasn't worth the effort. If you look at the front edge of the door, near the hinge, you can see where this palte was originally spot welded in. I think you'd have to strip the door of all the window mechanism so you could get in to drill the spot welds off from the INSIDE of the door. The new plate would then have to be plug welded back in.
Just use reinforcing plates on both sides of the door skin!  :y  :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #40 on: 09 January 2009, 18:41:38 »

Yes Lizzie, that's the part number, it was only a few quid to buy a couple of years back. It's still in my garage because on reflection the full TIS repair wasn't worth the effort. If you look at the front edge of the door, near the hinge, you can see where this palte was originally spot welded in. I think you'd have to strip the door of all the window mechanism so you could get in to drill the spot welds off from the INSIDE of the door. The new plate would then have to be plug welded back in.
Just use reinforcing plates on both sides of the door skin!  :y  :y

Thanks again Andy! :y :y

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 January 2009, 12:45:49 »

.. and if you don't disconnect the battery first the airbag ECU will get in a strop.

Kevin

Maybe I have misread the thread, but I thought the front door section was damaged, and needed insertion plates.
In case the door is still functional I truely support your view, NOT to remove the door.
I apoligize for that confusing comment.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #42 on: 10 January 2009, 12:48:35 »

Kevin

Maybe I have misread the thread, but I thought the front door section was damaged, and needed insertion plates.
In case the door is still functional I truely support your view, NOT to remove the door.
I apoligize for that confusing comment.

Not at all Shagma, your comments were in fact extremely useful to me and if plan  'A' doesn't work, then your plan 'B' will be my approach! :D :D 8-) :y

Not doing it this weekend though; far too cold out there! ::) ::) :)
« Last Edit: 10 January 2009, 12:49:21 by Lizzie_Zoom »

cbowditch

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 January 2009, 14:01:13 »

I don't blame you its the warmest part of the day and only reached -3.5  :( Can't even wash the car let alone do anything more complex in this cold
« Last Edit: 10 January 2009, 14:01:36 by cbowditch »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 January 2009, 16:19:16 »

I dont know.....just finished doing the front discs, pads and an oil change on one of mine!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.