Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Droning for rear end  (Read 2419 times)

NaughtyNigel

• Sedgefield, Co Durham
  • Naughty Nigel
    • View Profile
Re: Droning for rear end
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2009, 23:52:49 »

How many miles has it done BTW?

Running with low oil could have damaged the gear tooth faces, and possibly the bearings, so it will be noisy.

The Lucas additive is worth a try, but the damage is likely to be permanent. Fingers crossed for you.

In the old days second-hand car dealers used to put sawdust into gearboxes and diffs to keep them quiet, but I don't know how long it would have lasted.  ;)

NN
Why drive fast when you can drive fast in style? :)

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2009, 11:42:09 »

How many miles has it done BTW?

Running with low oil could have damaged the gear tooth faces, and possibly the bearings, so it will be noisy.

The Lucas additive is worth a try, but the damage is likely to be permanent. Fingers crossed for you.

In the old days second-hand car dealers used to put sawdust into gearboxes and diffs to keep them quiet, but I don't know how long it would have lasted.  ;)

NN
Long enough to cash the Buyer's cheque! :D
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2009, 11:55:56 »

Sorry to drag this up again ,but have been to locla VX dealers today,as this noise is really getting me down.
Must say the mechanic they sent out was really helpfull and actually a pleasure to talk to.
It transpires that the drivers side wheel bearing is on its way out,and they require £350=00 to replace plus extra if they need to send bit to outside engineering shop for pressing in/out bearing,so expect £400.
Now there is now ay on earth I will be paying that sort of money,but question is,if I can find cheaper price would it be wise getting both sides done?,as then the extra cost at a later date might be reduced now with parts already srtipped down.
Also I assume it would be better to buy the parts on TC and then get repairs done.
Any body an idea of VX part number, saloon 1998..and are both sides the same.
Thanks alot

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2009, 11:59:45 »

Sorry to drag this up again ,but have been to locla VX dealers today,as this noise is really getting me down.
Must say the mechanic they sent out was really helpfull and actually a pleasure to talk to.
It transpires that the drivers side wheel bearing is on its way out,and they require £350=00 to replace plus extra if they need to send bit to outside engineering shop for pressing in/out bearing,so expect £400.
Now there is now ay on earth I will be paying that sort of money,but question is,if I can find cheaper price would it be wise getting both sides done?,as then the extra cost at a later date might be reduced now with parts already srtipped down.
Also I assume it would be better to buy the parts on TC and then get repairs done.
Any body an idea of VX part number, saloon 1998..and are both sides the same.
Thanks alot

Both sides totally separate, so I would only do the bad side

Can be one hell of a job!

Does the noise ease when you remove the load.....ie going around a corner (opposite to noisy bearing)
« Last Edit: 05 May 2009, 12:01:15 by jimbob »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2009, 12:27:42 »

Hi Jimbob....I read your thread about replacing with Mark and hence why I got price from VX first as it looked a "job from hell".
It eases when I turn left so transferring load to nearside and I am able to play about with the noise when driving straight just by twitching the streering to the left,so think the VX guys diagnosis is correct now.

kiwititwonk

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2009, 17:59:13 »

was reading this topic as my beast started showing the same symptoms
have just replaced the diff so thought it must be the bearing and as i am driving up to wales next week was a tad alarmed at the posibility of having to sort a bearing this weekend (i am really bloody lazy)
untill i remembered  an earlier post on another topic

now it sounds stupid and simple
and yes i really am that simple and stupid.......have you checked your wheel nuts?
turns out i had failed to tighten em properly after replacing rear pads and H/B shoes
bastards were only hand tight
and yes i am a muppet

skippy_22

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2009, 18:15:33 »

hi just reading this and mine is doing pretty much the same but my wheels dont move but someone said on these when wheel bearings go you dont always feel them being loose, i done a wheel bearing on my old 2.5 v6 and it is a easy job NOT its possibly the worst job i done on a car didnt help it was peeing down, id rather pay someone next time but not £400, oh and yes they do need pressing because i didnt and it took me 3 new wheel bearing to fix it as i kepy knackering the new ones. :-[

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2009, 18:44:11 »

Well 2 weeks in and I get no more noise from the rear of the car so I think it was money well spent(most of the week I seem to live in the car so strange car noises are important to me) and am pleased to say normal servise is resumed.

skippy_22

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2009, 00:38:01 »

so was it wheel bearing then

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2009, 07:48:53 »

Yes..skippy_22..the existing bearing was really rough when you spun it so that was the problem,just a nasty job to do and ideally you require a very large press to get the old bearing out and then the new one back in...not a job for the faint hearted.

skippy_22

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2009, 10:52:56 »

tell me about it i done one on my old 2.5 had to take complete rear arm off, it just mine feels fine its just the sound
thanks though :'(

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2009, 14:50:09 »

It can be either side wheel bearing, as they come as inner and outer the noise doesnt always stop when you expect it to, ie on a right bend for a left bearing. Had this on mine and cause I only check 1 side and it sounded fine I assumed it was the diff. MOT told me otherwise.
There was no movement in the wheel, just noise.
I changed it myself by making up a bar of the right diameter and knocked it out in situ.
You need an assistant to help put the new one in. They act as a reaction on the inside (much like riveting) to stop the bearing coming apart.
Hope this helps.
Al
If it aint broken, you aint trying hard enough
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.