Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ABS ECU  (Read 1441 times)

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
ABS ECU
« on: 14 February 2010, 16:21:45 »

I am part way through doing mine. I have followed the guide on here but I cannot get the last two screws undone.I just can't reach them, even with the magic tool. Any ideas? Has anyone ever removed the distribution block. (I know that's what Vauxhall do when they do these)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: ABS ECU
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2010, 16:48:12 »

By the last 2 do you mean the bottom 2?

Takes perseverance mate - when I did the Estate never thought about removing abs block - can need use of Tech2 to bleed when refitted!!  All I removed was top hose, nothing else!

[edit]If its yours on ebay mate you need to get a move on!! ;)[/edit]
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 16:49:38 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2010, 17:21:52 »

can you drive without the abs ecu attached / plugged in?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2010, 17:28:44 »

The car will drive .. but no ABS, Traction Control, Speedo or "weighted" power steering (at slow speeds its damned heavy). Warning lights will be on.

So it will work .. but where you stand both legally and Insurance wise I'm unsure.

Certainly the law requires a working speedo. Your insurance declaration is that the car has ABS and traction control, so I guess you should tell them its not working ....

Just my thoughts ... nowt else   :(
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 17:29:08 by entwood »

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2010, 17:47:26 »

Yeah. It was so I could source a replacement part for my mates. Don't want to order the wrong one. We had a donor vehicle but we sold the abs ecu about a week before this one started playing up, that was a 2.5 this one is a 3.0 the part number for the 2.5 was: 0273 004 206, maybe they are the same? Bit of a idiot to get at too.

My power steering is heavy but only when idle and after driving it for a bit, i'm thinking it is a lazy pump. But you did mention the abs ecu making the steering heavy, but my tc and abs lights arn't on.

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2010, 17:49:23 »

having said that it does sound in pain, i have to rev in neutral and steer its like a strangled cat, me thinks its the pump.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2010, 18:12:45 »

The car will drive .. but no ABS, Traction Control, Speedo or "weighted" power steering (at slow speeds its damned heavy). Warning lights will be on.

So it will work .. but where you stand both legally and Insurance wise I'm unsure.

Certainly the law requires a working speedo. Your insurance declaration is that the car has ABS and traction control, so I guess you should tell them its not working ....

Just my thoughts ... nowt else   :(

BTW - a Tom Tom on the windscreen gives you this feature  :y

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2010, 18:17:20 »

lol

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2010, 18:22:16 »

Just borrowed another magic tool for tomorrow. I have replacement ABS unit ready to go on,already programmed for a 2.5 v6 estate so its just a plain switch over. Don't know how you did it with just the top hose off, I have had to remove the power steering pipe, battery, ecu loom,relays, plastic holder for the loom connectors etc. I know I have sausages for fingers but there is absolutely no way you could do it with just the top hose off.

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2010, 18:35:08 »

Just borrowed another magic tool for tomorrow. I have replacement ABS unit ready to go on,already programmed for a 2.5 v6 estate so its just a plain switch over. Don't know how you did it with just the top hose off, I have had to remove the power steering pipe, battery, ecu loom,relays, plastic holder for the loom connectors etc. I know I have sausages for fingers but there is absolutely no way you could do it with just the top hose off.

so... a 2.5 won't work in my mates 3.0?

did your speedo stop working too?
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 18:35:36 by pjwright »

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2010, 19:03:01 »

so... a 2.5 won't work in my mates 3.0?

did your speedo stop working too?

I think if you dont replace from same year, cc and spec you will need a tech 2 session to set the ecu correctly

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2010, 20:56:12 »

Not easy but doable I assure you.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2010, 10:25:59 »

Would have thought that if the serial numbers matched up it would be fine, i.e. if a 2.5 was the same as the 3.0. So I can probably expect that replacing my mates with a working donor one but with the same serial numbers the ABS and TC lights will remain on until a tech2 session?

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2010, 11:09:38 »

Would have thought that if the serial numbers matched up it would be fine, i.e. if a 2.5 was the same as the 3.0. So I can probably expect that replacing my mates with a working donor one but with the same serial numbers the ABS and TC lights will remain on until a tech2 session?

No, sadly not. You do need to match the seriel numbers but each abs unit is set up differently So you need a tech 2 session. I was fortunate enough to find someone with exactly the same spec car as mine (2.5 manual estate) but the numbers still must match. I'm sure the experts on here will correct mebut I believe there were up to 16 different types of abs ecu!

BTW, I finally got mine off! My wife had a go,my mate had a go, even my kids had a go and we are of the opinion dbug that your hands and arms must be the size of pipe cleaners! lol  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2010, 11:23:26 »

I did mine the same way as Dbug and put the bolts back in.

You need a good selection of tools and patience. It helped that I had the replacement part to hand to "visualise" where the bolts were. Don't give up!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.