Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Gasket failure 2.5 V6  (Read 1033 times)

cavman

• View Profile
Head Gasket failure 2.5 V6
« on: 22 July 2011, 22:56:37 »

Hi guys,
            I've been losing small amounts of coolant for months, I read the head gasket failure on the V6 was very rare so I kept looking for other causes, then suddenly the coolant bridge started to leak big time, I fixed this and the big leak stopped but the small one continued but got worse over a couple of week so I decided to look at the head gasket, which appeared in terrible condition, see photos, is this usual? What could have caused it and will the other gasket be in the same type of poor condition?  :-/

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
Re: Head Gasket failure 2.5 V6
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2011, 23:10:58 »

That does not look good :'( is that part of the block that has gone missing :o

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2011, 23:15:26 »

I would suggest as you are this far remove the other head too, so that the pair are done. Do the exhaust manifold gaskets too.
Lack of anti freeze is the problem top and tail off it. Make sure 50/50 ratio is replaced.
Daz  :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

cavman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2011, 23:36:05 »

The block is still there but has discoloured.

This head is from the passenger side; is the driver's side much more difficult to get out? as so far this has taken nearly two days  :o

Any idea what the gasket is made of as that appears to have rusted also.... but it may just be super brittle and flaky fiber.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2011, 23:42:17 »

I would say you have done well mate, doing the other side now will be easier  :y
Think of this, at least once you have completed the job you know exactly what has been done to your car and will not happen again as long as you look after it. Also if it takes you two whole weeks, you have saved yourself over £500 per week compared to Vauxhalls prices. .  :y :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2011, 23:47:04 »

Oh dear, looking at the block photo I thought the same as Joff - looks like a bit of the block is missin???

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2011, 00:23:45 »

Like you, on mine I took the nearside head off first as it is the slightly easier head to get off. It was the gasket on this side that had gone.

As I had bought a full gasket set with both head gaskets and head bolts, I decided to remove the offside head as well and was glad I did.

Although, the gasket hadn't gone it was in poor condition and I don't think it would have lasted much longer, so for the extra work involved, it was definitely worth it, rather than having to strip the engine down again in the future.

I also redid the oil cooler gasket, while it was apart as there was some blue antifreeze colour on the nearside head, replaced the thermostat, water pump, auxiliary belt and a new cambelt kit.

When I removed the oil cooler I could see the gasket had been leaking, I also had an overheating problem in traffic, which is why I replaced the thermostat, and although the water pump had only done 65k, there was a whistling sound when I revved the engine, the new water pump and auxiliary belt has cured this.

I hope this is of help
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2011, 00:44:25 »

Oh dear, looking at the block photo I thought the same as Joff - looks like a bit of the block is missin???

I agree, does not look right to me........ :-/ :-/ :-/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2011, 09:05:03 »

It looks like your missing a lump of the water jacket :(

Poor maintainance unfortunately, the coolant needs changing depending on the antifreeze thats being used
Retired

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2011, 10:32:21 »

The 2.5 doesn't have a piece of block there. My 1994 2.5 v6 was much cleaner but clearly never had any metal behind cylinders 5 & 6.

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Abiton

« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2011, 12:39:52 »

Good info Andy.  :y

Reckon this leak was to the outside world via corrosion of the block under the rear edge of the gasket?  Looks a bit like it to me.  May not be a doddle to fix if any significant amount of material has gone?  :-/

Hope I'm wrong.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2011, 12:59:24 »

Good info Andy.  :y

Reckon this leak was to the outside world via corrosion of the block under the rear edge of the gasket?  Looks a bit like it to me.  May not be a doddle to fix if any significant amount of material has gone?  :-/

Hope I'm wrong.
Mine was leaking from the same place. The face of the block was unmarked and cleaned up 'as new' with a bit of gentle scraping to get the old gasket off. The heads looked pretty good but I had them skimmed as a precaution.

Photographs can make things look worse than they really are but the condition of the waterways in cavmans engine looks worse than any I have ever stripped down.

The area most likely to cause future trouble is the face of the alumiminium head (which doesn't look too bad in the photo). The cast iron block is less likely to have been eroded by the corrosion.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2011, 13:51:13 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.