Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best tyres?  (Read 2854 times)

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Best tyres?
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2011, 11:15:09 »

Ah yes yes yes!! Michelin PS3 :y I double endorse everything D says.My previous tyres also were Goodyear assymetric's. still the PS3's seem to be outlasting anything else,so this could help with the high cost and they don't have that easy a life as I tow quite a lot,And have been known to drive quite hard at times. I will without doubt replace with them again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2011, 11:26:37 »

Such a subjective topic.

I love my Michelin PS3. Grip like a leech, no wheel spin at all that I used to get with the previous contis and Pirelli P6000's. Much quieter than most other tyres I have tried and a really comfortable ride. Problem is the price £145 a corner.  Generally you get what you pay for. Goodyear F1 assymetrics are very good as well. Slightly noisier than the PS3's but last longer and cheaper @£120/corner. The boy seems to hate PS2 but I had them on my prev BMW 330ci and had no lack of grip at all. They didnt last more than 15k due to the BMW's tyre shredding nature.

Falken 912 are poor. The 452 are better, particularly in the dry, but I find their wet weather performance poor esp on RWD cars. Cheapish at 85/corner. I tend to avoid anything budget/chinese/ebay as I do not like to put at risk myself or my family for the sake of a few quid.
They work well on Porsche Boxster as well, which also shreds them.  I think the key to getting grip with them is to constantly wear off the 'sheen' that forms on them that makes them rock hard (and thus durable). But by doing this, you ruin the life.

I have not found a Michelin tyre in the last 10 years that I could possibly recommend. They seem great when you first get them - good grip for the first 1000 miles or so, before that hardness sets in.

My PS2 s were alledgedly replaced at 45k. Now at 60k, the canvas is poking out.  I get similar mileage from the cheaper (sadly obselete) SP9000, which had a far better grip level on the Omega.
Grumpy old man

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2011, 11:31:08 »

I have bridgestones on the back of mine. Expensive but very good. the front ones are some cheap crap (nexen) but plenty of tread so didn't see the point replacing yet.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2011, 11:47:31 »

Another tyre thread ::) ;D

But... I have used Accellera Alpha's on mine for a while now... For me it was an acceptable compromise between outright grip and wear rate. I do find they can be a little hit and miss though and only really start working very well if driven hard a lot. I'm on my third set but would I fit them again...... Not sure.  :-/ I seem to be getting more demanding of my tyres lately and the imminent change in my situation may well mean I can change my priorities as I could well be changing my mileage considerably ;) I get them for mates rates so puts them right into the budget range for me ::)

I have also considered trying Neuton Tyres, imported and only supplied by Neo Bros (eBay Linky) but when I went there to get some after ringing up in advance they had sold the ones I was supposed to be getting fitted >:( If you do try them, I would appreciate some feedback as they seem to be getting very good reviews in the Saab and BMW world

Ive been looking at exactly the same tyres fella and thinking the same - if they get good reviews fron Saab owners who are putting 200-250Bhp through them, then they must be ok. The only thing holding me back is the comeback through being an Ebay seller. Not sure how you'd go about warranty. Want the tyres tho :-/

Buy them direct from Neo then... Same price ;) In fact, they aren't that far from you (North side of M25) and charge £10/wheel fitting IIRC... But if you go there, make sure the retards put your tyres aside before you leave home ::) I did a 150 mile round trip to be told they'd sold them since I called (and offered to pay in advance) >:( >:( >:( Fortunately I was also going to get my LPG inspected about 10 miles away so it wasn't a complete waste of time :y

If you go for them... Feed back please!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2011, 12:06:45 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for tyres for my 2.5 V6?  My current set of budget tyres grip the road well in all conditions but are noisy and have worn down quickly, particularly on the front.  I may end up having to buy budget or mid range tyres again but some are better than others so are there any tried and recommendations for tyres that grip well but don't wear out after a few thousand miles? 

Also, I've just replaced my front anti roll bar link rods as both were worn and rattling.  Would wear on these have contributed to the relatively short life of my present tyres, or is it more to do with the fact they were made in China (Primewells - ever heard of them?).

What tyre size do you use?
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2011, 12:24:56 »

Another tyre thread ::) ;D

But... I have used Accellera Alpha's on mine for a while now... For me it was an acceptable compromise between outright grip and wear rate. I do find they can be a little hit and miss though and only really start working very well if driven hard a lot. I'm on my third set but would I fit them again...... Not sure.  :-/ I seem to be getting more demanding of my tyres lately and the imminent change in my situation may well mean I can change my priorities as I could well be changing my mileage considerably ;) I get them for mates rates so puts them right into the budget range for me ::)

I have also considered trying Neuton Tyres, imported and only supplied by Neo Bros (eBay Linky) but when I went there to get some after ringing up in advance they had sold the ones I was supposed to be getting fitted >:( If you do try them, I would appreciate some feedback as they seem to be getting very good reviews in the Saab and BMW world

Ive been looking at exactly the same tyres fella and thinking the same - if they get good reviews fron Saab owners who are putting 200-250Bhp through them, then they must be ok. The only thing holding me back is the comeback through being an Ebay seller. Not sure how you'd go about warranty. Want the tyres tho :-/

Buy them direct from Neo then... Same price ;) In fact, they aren't that far from you (North side of M25) and charge £10/wheel fitting IIRC... But if you go there, make sure the retards put your tyres aside before you leave home ::) I did a 150 mile round trip to be told they'd sold them since I called (and offered to pay in advance) >:( >:( >:( Fortunately I was also going to get my LPG inspected about 10 miles away so it wasn't a complete waste of time :y

If you go for them... Feed back please!

Bugger, bugger & BUGGER >:( >:( Didn't realise you could get them local....just been to Bracknell tyres & had Kumho's fitted at £85 a corner.

[size=18]BUGGER[/size]
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2011, 15:24:21 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for tyres for my 2.5 V6?  My current set of budget tyres grip the road well in all conditions but are noisy and have worn down quickly, particularly on the front.  I may end up having to buy budget or mid range tyres again but some are better than others so are there any tried and recommendations for tyres that grip well but don't wear out after a few thousand miles? 

Also, I've just replaced my front anti roll bar link rods as both were worn and rattling.  Would wear on these have contributed to the relatively short life of my present tyres, or is it more to do with the fact they were made in China (Primewells - ever heard of them?).

yep,local tyre dealer sells them,I have had a few fitted for customers who wanted cheap and cheerfull and they have all been pleased with them.I reckon they are much better than nexen
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2011, 15:57:16 »

yep,local tyre dealer sells them,I have had a few fitted for customers who wanted cheap and cheerfull and they have all been pleased with them.I reckon they are much better than nexen
On my tractor Omega, I was impressed with the Nexens. For a budget tyre, they offered good levels of grip and stability at *any* speed the chipped tractor was capable of in almost any condition. Except very heavy rain, they weren't great then. Fun, just not great ::)
Grumpy old man

KeithmG

• West Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2011, 16:57:05 »

I agree. Replaced worn Michelins Primacys with Nexen 641s.at £60 per tyre fitted Have noticed no difference in noise or performance and they are wearing well

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 August 2011, 18:06:43 »

205/65R15

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 August 2011, 18:13:52 »

You will have replies a mile long for a question like this..
It is all personal preference.

I like Toyos, but they are a tad noisey

I don't mind the length as the opinions are interesting and there seems to some common viewpoints starting to come through - like not buying Falkens.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 August 2011, 18:36:54 »

Avon ZZ3 is a good mid range tyre  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 August 2011, 20:57:35 »

Goodyear Eagle F1's all day long for me!
Subjective this thead is! Another car I had I put G-F1's on loads of grip on the front but nothing on the rear, I then fitted Yoko's on the rear and it was on rails so it does depend on you, your car and it's setup.....
I'm afraid you're just gonna have to try and find what works for you....

sport

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 August 2011, 21:29:08 »

Goodyear Eagle F1's just had 2 new fitted £118  each

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 04 August 2011, 23:25:52 »

Another angle to consider is the suspension on the car. Elite suspension is soft, and with soft suspension comes camber change due to front geometry and mcferson strut suspension.

Add to that some reasonably progressive driving and tyres wear rounded on the front while still showing reasonable tread depth in the middle, and flat in the middle on the back while still showing good shoulder tread depth.

Point being, no point fitting top end tyres to Elite suspension and cracking on in the twisties. They will degrade into wobbly undrivable rubbish well before all the tread had gone. Ad to that mix Falken 912's which have grip and stability problems from new and a total and utter nightmare reveals itself in the omega steering wheel just driving in a straight line.

Anyway, ime I wouldn't recommend anything cheaper than Kumho ku31 personally.

Re the subjective nature of " the perfect tyre" well I think we are unwittingly starting to narrow it down. Understanding the needs is key. If your an A to B driver and see tyre choice as purely an inconvenience when the old ones wear out than Michelins start to make sense. Expensive initially granted, but if they last twice as long but are not twice as expensive then fine. Just don't expect them to grip too well. They are not the choice for, oh bugger it, aggressive drivers, there said it, who expect total performance and grip levels that work.
We do have a rare opportunity to narrow down a tyre that works on a particular car. But "a tyre" that will work in various driver brackets. Top end nutter bastards down to driving miss Daisy will all have a preference. Put the right drivers in the right brackets and you WILL get consistent views.

Time effort and being scientific enough to log it all correctly is bound to be the downfall sadly. It's just not practical.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 18 queries.