Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Food paranoia  (Read 2753 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Food paranoia
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2011, 09:52:11 »

A sunday roast normally keeps me in beef butties till friday :y

How big is your Sunday roast? ??? There's very rarely anything left of ours on the Sunday ........... we're greedy buggers.  ;D

very :D  I buy it large enough to last a week, and you know me....I dont do small portions either!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2011, 10:02:26 »

I had a half french housemate a few years ago, who would only buy his cheese from the 'bargain' shelves in the supermarket, so it was always just on the sell by date.  He'd then leave it for a couple of weeks before eating it!! He reckoned it was the only way to have decent cheese in Britain.....  :-\  Needless to say, our fridge stank!!  :o :o   ;D ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2011, 10:40:27 »

I sniff it - if it smells ok, it gets scoffed  :)
Yep. :y If it's not minging, hasn't run away of its' own accord and hasn't got furry, It's fair game.

I listened to a radio report a few weeks ago about this very subject - they had one person from the Food Standards Agency on and one other expert type person. She (the second person) said much what you did, while the FSA man kept repeating that food past it's 'Use By' date isn't safe and should be treated like chemical waste.. ;D

Though he did at least point out that 'Best Before' does not mean 'Will kill you after', but actually means 'Might not taste as good'.. 'Use By' is 'Will kill you after' ;D

It was a comical conversation on the air, really, as he would not be swayed from the party line..

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2011, 10:44:39 »

I worked in a kitchen at a retirement home for too long it made me aware of the rubbish they say but my understanding is that you only need really worry about being careful if your feeding the very young or very old, ie. Weak immunity. As said if it looks ok/smells ok that's a good enough indication but I won't touch chicken that's been sat all week, also if something's been sat in a warm, sweaty, hasn't been cleaned for months microwave, overnight, I can't help but think of all the bacteria multiplication that's happened (bacteria doubles every twenty mins at 36 odd degrees) also if the food gets left out the cats normally find it and muller it, won't touch it then lol. But generally, keep it cool and if it don't grow legs and walk off it'll be ok.
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2011, 11:11:11 »

.... and you know me....I dont do small portions either!

I know!!!  ;D ;D ;D

The only OOFer to model himself on his avitar!  :y :y :y

P_Russell

• Rushden, Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2011, 13:07:08 »

How long do you think butchers shops & deli's keep their cooked meats in fridges for?????

A damn sight longer than 2 days........
If it's stuck, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway........

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2011, 13:16:05 »

A good piece of "iffy" meat will probably do no more than stimulate your immune system. :) Many people seemed to  to "survive" a meal in the days before sell by dates and fridges. ;)

Our immune systems are not as robust as they should be these days. 

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2011, 17:35:58 »

A good piece of "iffy" meat will probably do no more than stimulate your immune system. :) Many people seemed to  to "survive" a meal in the days before sell by dates and fridges. ;)

Quite right, we're encouraged to nuke all known germs whenever we touch anything with gels and sprays - it's quite a well-known fact that the people who have the best immune systems and are the least affected by illness are farmers and their families  :)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2011, 17:43:24 »

Quite right, we're encouraged to nuke all known germs whenever we touch anything with gels and sprays - it's quite a well-known fact that the people who have the best immune systems and are the least affected by illness are farmers and their families  :)

Yep. We are all so paranoid about germs these days. Have you  seen the "no touch" hygiene gels, as advertised on television?

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2011, 17:46:19 »

Yep. We are all so paranoid about germs these days. Have you  seen the "no touch" hygiene gels, as advertised on television?

Yeah, as if touching the nozzle is going to transfer all those nasty germs to your poor lickle belly  ::)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #25 on: 16 November 2011, 18:37:37 »

How long do you think butchers shops & deli's keep their cooked meats in fridges for?????

I bought some bacon from the deli counter of a supermarket......on the way home tonight....marked at 1/2 price, coz they need to shift it before they close tonight.....no idea how long its been on display....looks ok to me..and far better tasting than packet bacon, imo..and will go down well with the fryup im having tonight  :)

And reminds me i must do something with the rest of the lamb joint, that i cooked monday night.....curry time tomorrow night perhaps....
« Last Edit: 16 November 2011, 18:39:48 by Taxi Driver »

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 November 2011, 21:38:01 »

Two questions spring to mind when I see that advert;
1. How do you turn the taps on?
2. Isn't their soap good enough to kill any germs you might pick up anyway?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 November 2011, 21:39:43 »

How long do you think butchers shops & deli's keep their cooked meats in fridges for? ??? ?

I bought some bacon from the deli counter of a supermarket......on the way home tonight....marked at 1/2 price, coz they need to shift it before they close tonight.....no idea how long its been on display....looks ok to me..and far better tasting than packet bacon, imo..and will go down well with the fryup im having tonight  :)

And reminds me i must do something with the rest of the lamb joint, that i cooked monday night.....curry time tomorrow night perhaps....
HollyDog to the rescue. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 November 2011, 22:37:18 »

Well finally finished it and still standing!

Was talking to a friend today who was a butcher,he was saying look out for the beef in the reduced counter that looks to be turning grey/green as it will be superb!

Apparently rice is the worst thing to reuse/reheat!
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

P_Russell

• Rushden, Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 November 2011, 12:24:28 »

Indeed re-heated rice will be full of aflotoxins, be careful with that one.

As for beef - the reduced stuff is the best, it's only a bit of oxidation.  You would normally pay a premium for well hung meat!
If it's stuck, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway........
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.