Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual computers question  (Read 1055 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Dual computers question
« on: 17 January 2012, 12:02:29 »

Hi all :y
At the moment I run one computer and two monitors. I wish to connect a second computer to this setup. :y
My enquiries have found two systems...KVM switching, or a programme called Synergy, both which use one keyboard and one mouse to control both computers and monitors.
Does anyone have experience with either of these methods.
 TIA  :y

Tony
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Re: Dual computers question
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2012, 12:20:14 »

Synergy allows you to use the keyboard and mouse of one computer to control another,    NOT share the screen.....  so, each computer would use one screen exclusively,   

KVM switching allows you to switch the screen's input , and the output of a mouse and a keyboard  between multiple computers whilst convincing the computer not currently active that there is still a screen , mouse and keyboard  attached,

KVM is hardware...  and should probably be the route you go ,  think i may have a spare one you can have .....    if it's for an older VGA connected screen, not a DVI one..... 

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

mantahatch

« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2012, 12:40:04 »

I currently run the KVM system using VGA. it can be switched by two buttons on the top of the unit or by an icon down by the clock. I switch between a windows 7 machine and a windows XP machine. Works ok apart from when booting I have a small issue whereby I have to boot the windows 7 machine first or the graphics is somewhat messed up.

HTH

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2012, 12:51:06 »

I have the first computer with a DVI output connected to a splitter that then feeds two monitors one running 1600x900 and the other 1680x1050. When I connect a second computer to one of the monitors I use the VGA input on the monitor and tell the first computer not to extend the desktop and then by default the monitor will display the second computer via the VGA. This all depends on a couple of hardware factors one computer needs to output to DVI and the other to VGA and at least one monitor needs to have DVI and VGA inputs.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2012, 13:41:44 »

Thanks fellas, interesting replies..... :y

My computers both have graphics cards with both DVI and VGA outlets, as do both my monitors........
Max...interested in your offer....can you pm me :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2012, 13:59:10 »

I have the first computer with a DVI output connected to a splitter that then feeds two monitors one running 1600x900 and the other 1680x1050. When I connect a second computer to one of the monitors I use the VGA input on the monitor and tell the first computer not to extend the desktop and then by default the monitor will display the second computer via the VGA. This all depends on a couple of hardware factors one computer needs to output to DVI and the other to VGA and at least one monitor needs to have DVI and VGA inputs.

Did forget to mention that this will not help you out with the mouse/keyboard but I am sure that was obvious to you, this is not a problem to me as the second machine is a laptop with a knackered screen but the touchpad and keyboard work fine.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2012, 14:17:52 »

as said they can share the monitor also..  switching can be done by a combination of keys..

wakeyomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2012, 15:30:39 »

I use an Aten CS-1262 (here http://www.aten.co.uk/products/productItem.php?pid=20051109120328003&psid=20070130114411002&pcid=20070130111333003&layerid=subClass3 )

Can be controlled by its own switches and / or keyboard. It also handels speaker / mic . I'm very happy with it. It has VERY good build quality.

The only drawback i found was that it masks out special mouse functions that people like logitech build into their software (e.g. page forward back button on mouse)
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2012, 20:54:25 »

I'm sure I have an Avocent 16 port DSR somewhere here.  Anyone need KVM over IP ::)
Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2012, 08:16:25 »

I'm sure I have an Avocent 16 port DSR somewhere here.  Anyone need KVM over IP ::)

brings back memories!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.