Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cycling in Britain  (Read 12236 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Britain
« Reply #30 on: 09 July 2017, 22:26:43 »

I didn't describe anything twisty with solid white lines.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 July 2017, 22:34:42 »

I didn't describe anything twisty with solid white lines.  ::)

My mistake, it was scimmy man. But what I said still stands.

It seems like a lot of ppl have hang ups about cyclists. If ppl don't like them that much why don't they just keep themselves right and accept the shortcomings of others? A sure sign of intelligence.

As a driver and cyclist I know which group behaves more responsibly on the road. Perhaps motorists (not all of course) should put their self importance to one side and understand the vulnerability of cyclists.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 July 2017, 22:38:20 »

Defensive positioning is fine, do it in trucks all day long, especially at roundabouts/junctions.

It is perfectly legal to overtake on double white lines under certain conditions... Not least to safely pass a slower vehicle/obstruction ::)

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Crack on.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2017, 22:40:12 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 July 2017, 22:48:00 »

Crack on?  :(

If as described the roads are twisty, with solid white lines, I can only reiterate that someone shouldn't be overtaking, unless they want to feature on cyclist's camera compilation on YouTube entitled 'douchebag drivers part 126

I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist doing less than 10 mph in such conditions. I generally go faster than a lot of cars when I'm cycling round urban areas.

Clearly alot of drivers have hate to others on the road from their more important than you attitude. If car drivers don't like the roads and conditions on them, get off them.

There, cracked! ;)

TC and BnQ Trade holder.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 July 2017, 22:50:41 »

I'll be sure to wave to you when you're stuck in a jam in your gas guzzling box, as I pass with my thigh muscles bulging 8)
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 July 2017, 22:55:53 »

That would involve visiting the north east... :D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 July 2017, 23:03:48 »

GUFFER, as someone who is relatively new to road biking and who needed some tips, thank you for the links in your signature; very helpful.  :y

You Sir, are very welcome.  I am not an official instructor but I have a lot of experience cycling across the UK and France in different situations, bike mechanics, etc so if you have any questions just fire away :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 July 2017, 23:05:55 »

Entitled - legally of course they are. I maintain though, that its common decency to get out of the way of someone who is obviously going to be normally travelling faster than you are.

I often find myself walking faster than many people in town, so I should barge them out of the way because I am faster, bigger and more entitled than they are?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 July 2017, 23:23:10 »

Crack on?  :(

If as described the roads are twisty, with solid white lines, I can only reiterate that someone shouldn't be overtaking, unless they want to feature on cyclist's camera compilation on YouTube entitled 'douchebag drivers part 126

I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist doing less than 10 mph in such conditions. I generally go faster than a lot of cars when I'm cycling round urban areas.

Clearly alot of drivers have hate to others on the road from their more important than you attitude. If car drivers don't like the roads and conditions on them, get off them.

There, cracked! ;)

This is a sticky point in the highway code and it illustrates how out of date it is.  I says that you can cross the double white line for a slow moving vehicle such as a cyclist if they are travelling slower than 10mph.  Now, even on the hills I barely get below that speed but do I want a motorist stuck behind me for several miles while they stick to the letter of the code?  Nope, defo no way.  It is about sharing the space.  Some can, some cannot.  Some misinterpret a helpful gesture as a somewhat spiteful move. 

There is a rather difficult road near me where you have a steep climb with a very blind summit and a chicane to boot.  It's an old B road but well looked after so the motorists give it some welly.  As you approach the chicane you are doing barely 8mph and you have a possible scenario of a fast moving motor vehicle misjudging the situation and thinking that they can go for it.  Now as a cyclist you are in front and sitting higher so you can just about see over the summit to see if it is clear, the driver cannot but you know that some of them would risk it and put you in danger.  If it is not clear you have a really bad scenario unfolding.  Now this is where it gets interesting because it can require a big set of balls to take the Primary position (centre of the lane) to block said vehicle (with enough notice and not so as to cause heavy braking) with such a speed differential and a vehicle closing in on you behind you (that you cannot see).  So I also put my hand out to indicate stop, I make the deliberate gesture of craning my neck over the horizon and keep my hand up to say Stop.  Now at this point drivers sometimes gets very irate until they see said vehicle thunder past in the opposite direction and you move over to let the driver behind you through and gesture thanks to them. 

This is what I mean when I talk about people misunderstanding other people's actions on the road.  It is easy to understand why a motorist does something, because you are one yourself and you have likely been in a similar situation once.  If you have never cycled* you cannot fully comprehend the actions a cyclist will take to make their ride safer, such as slowing down through a twisty section or riding in the middle of the road where the traffic island creates a space that is too narrow for a car to pass safely.

So, can we leave our opinions of that one/two/three bellends we came across one day and who we still channel our anger towards and talk about this rationally?  I think that there is value in proper discussions on the topic rather than bleating on about 'this guy did me wrong!' (sob sob, woe is me sh!te) ? 

Please?  ;)

*riding a bmx when you 6 doesn't count, I mean doing hundreds if not thousands of km a year on a bike. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 July 2017, 00:10:50 »

Road racing on the local dual carriageway always causes issues... Cutting/straightlining a roundabout on a pushbike at 25-30 mph on a busy nsl dual carriageway is suicidal, yet I experience thus scenario on every roundabout between Crawley and Horsham every Sunday morning between March and October...

Like the red light jumpers in Lundun,it is this sort of behaviour that riles other road users...

No different to suicidal Sunday motorbicyclists...

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 July 2017, 01:26:10 »

A question for the serious cyclists on here: why, when they are smartly togged up in lycra, do the never seem to have mudguards on their bikes, especially not on the rear - thereby leaving a great sh*t-streak all up their backsides in dad weather, ruining the "image"?

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 July 2017, 07:31:30 »

Personal choice?  ???

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 July 2017, 07:36:47 »

Dr G, the hjghway code says to cycle around the outside of a roundabout and that motorists should give way to cyclists crossing the junction that they are exiting on....... yeah right! Like that's ever going to happen!

I try to keep to the lane if traffic is busy and i am, err, hoofing it. If the traffic is heavy i will try to keep my speed up anyway but i will absolutely take the lane and robustly defend my position. If there is no traffic and i am hitting it at speed then i will take it like a motorist does ;)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 July 2017, 07:39:30 »

And here is today's latest story about deliberate attacks on cyclists. This happened at the weekend. If you like have a gander at Road.cc's "close pass of the day" feature. The motorcyclist passing at over 100mph leaving just inches is particularly scary.

http://road.cc/content/news/225744-video-teens-push-bike-path-dunwich-dynamo-riders-causing-crash

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 July 2017, 07:45:20 »

Dr G, the hjghway code says to cycle around the outside of a roundabout and that motorists should give way to cyclists crossing the junction that they are exiting on....... yeah right! Like that's ever going to happen!

I try to keep to the lane if traffic is busy and i am, err, hoofing it. If the traffic is heavy i will try to keep my speed up anyway but i will absolutely take the lane and robustly defend my position. If there is no traffic and i am hitting it at speed then i will take it like a motorist does ;)
Agreed, I will always stay in lane unless I am 100% certain that I am the only vehicle within 100 yards of the roundabout... however trying to cut the roundabout with a car in lane two immediately next to you is simply begging to die... even at 25-30 mph, the cyclist is going straight into an ambulance...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.