Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cycling in Britain  (Read 12307 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Britain
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2017, 18:16:31 »

she thinks that we generally drive too fast and with little consideration for cyclists

Most cyclists reciprocate regarding motorists plus highway rules/laws

I beg to differ.  I find that motorists and cyclists generally cherry pick which rules are important to them and which deserve vehement hatred towards another person.  If I follow every single rule in the highway code while cycling almost every motorist I come across will be breaking one rule or another.  The ones that count for me on two wheels generally involve safe passing distances, giving way/overtaking correctly and observing infrastructure meant for cyclists (ASLs and lanes with a solid line for example).  When I am driving a car the world I am in changes and so does the rules I consider important.  The difference is that when you have Car Vs Cyclist and the latter makes the error, the cyclist loses.  In the same scenario if the former makes the mistake, the cyclist loses.  And there is the rub which is why you will find some cyclists adhere to some rules and not others, just like motorists but each in their own little bubble.  Once you step outside and look at things from another perspective you get a whole new appreciation for how things are.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2017, 18:37:24 »

The French are not very kind to Chris Froome, unless throwing piss over someone is an old French sign of respect  ;D

Oh they do not like him at all.  Their tabloids are always full of some spurious allegation of mechanical doping, chemical doping, rule breaking, ad nauseum....

Thing is, I don't care for him either.  He can be a pretty arrogant and obnoxious fella but he is a fantastic cyclist.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2017, 00:41:44 »

she thinks that we generally drive too fast and with little consideration for cyclists

Most cyclists reciprocate regarding motorists plus highway rules/laws

I beg to differ.  I find that motorists and cyclists generally cherry pick which rules are important to them and which deserve vehement hatred towards another person.  If I follow every single rule in the highway code while cycling almost every motorist I come across will be breaking one rule or another.  The ones that count for me on two wheels generally involve safe passing distances, giving way/overtaking correctly and observing infrastructure meant for cyclists (ASLs and lanes with a solid line for example).  When I am driving a car the world I am in changes and so does the rules I consider important.  The difference is that when you have Car Vs Cyclist and the latter makes the error, the cyclist loses.  In the same scenario if the former makes the mistake, the cyclist loses.  And there is the rub which is why you will find some cyclists adhere to some rules and not others, just like motorists but each in their own little bubble.  Once you step outside and look at things from another perspective you get a whole new appreciation for how things are.

Very well said.

I would also add that just like politics, there is some tribal thinking, a fixed and totally inflexible mindset about certain things. Like which party to vote for, and cars vs cyclists.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2017, 07:59:07 »

Personally I`m not against cyclists but you always get a bunch of idiots riding three abreast with scant regard for other road users and that is where a lot of hatred probably comes from along with ignorance of junctions and traffic lights.

You do get a few that go to single file when traffic is coming up behind them but they are a rare breed.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2017, 08:17:20 »

Yes, I think that is sheer bloody-mindedness; if they want to chat amongst themselves, get a car!

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2017, 20:53:09 »

Personally I`m not against cyclists but you always get a bunch of idiots riding three abreast with scant regard for other road users and that is where a lot of hatred probably comes from along with ignorance of junctions and traffic lights.

You do get a few that go to single file when traffic is coming up behind them but they are a rare breed.

It is actually safer for the cyclists and easier for you to overtake if they are 2-abreast as the line to pass is shorter  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2017, 21:21:35 »

It is actually safer for the cyclists and easier for you to overtake if they are 2-abreast as the line to pass is shorter  :y
Providing the road at that point is conducive to being able to pass...
Onanists always think outside the box.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2017, 21:27:56 »

I followed one today, as the road got twistier and had double white lines, he SLOWED DOWN to block me.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2017, 21:57:38 »

I followed one today, as the road got twistier and had double white lines, he SLOWED DOWN to block me.

Maybe the fact that the road became twistier and had double white lines, is an indication that that section of road is a little more hazardous, and the cyclist needed to slow down to make it safe for himself? Obviously it is safer to turn when going slower. How do you know the cyclist slowed to deliberately block you?

If he did, maybe he was doing you a favour. That's perfectly acceptable, a road user that is, commanding the road to make conditions safer for all, particularly a vulnerable cyclist. With double white lines you shouldn't be overtaking anyway.

GUFFER, as someone who is relatively new to road biking and who needed some tips, thank you for the links in your signature; very helpful.  :y
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2017, 21:59:33 »

And as Guffer alludes to it's perfectly acceptable to ride two abreast should conditions allow. It's in the Highway Code.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2017, 22:05:11 »

I saw two yesterday ride to the front of a queue of cars at red lights. When the lights changed they had a queue of  about 15 cars behind them accelerating from 0 - 15 mph in 25 seconds or so, with the cars further back in the queue not even getting through the lights before they changed again. Good PR for the cycling community - not.
As for riding two (or more abreast), its often so dangerous its bordering on the kamikaze. Lots of narrow roads round these parts, and its common to come round a tight bend at moderate speeds to find two or three of them ambling along, having a chat, and assuming all car drivers will be slow and careful enough not to plough into them.
Even at 2omph, its still unnerving to come round a bend to find three of them at 5 mph, paying no attention to whats going on around them.
I'm sorry, but I'm becoming more convinced that our roads which are already overcrowded with too much powered traffic, is completely unsuitable for bicycles to be randomly scattered all over the roads as well.
As for horses on he roads. Please dont get me started.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 July 2017, 22:09:39 »

Maybe the fact that the road became twistier and had double white lines, is an indication that that section of road is a little more hazardous, and the cyclist needed to slow down to make it safe for himself? Obviously it is safer to turn when going slower. How do you know the cyclist slowed to deliberately block you?

If he did, maybe he was doing you a favour. That's perfectly acceptable, a road user that is, commanding the road to make conditions safer for all, particularly a vulnerable cyclist. With double white lines you shouldn't be overtaking anyway.

GUFFER, as someone who is relatively new to road biking and who needed some tips, thank you for the links in your signature; very helpful.  :y

No it isn't, its insufferably selfish. If a vehicle behind you is likely to normally travel twice as fast as you on your bicycle, its ludicrous to take a position to prevent it from passing you. The only reasonable thing to do is to get out of its way, and let it carry on its way.
If someone did it in a powered vehicle, they would probably be committing an offence. I don't  see why it should be any different for cycles. But to me, it only reinforces the point that cycles shouldn't really be on the roads in this day and age.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 July 2017, 22:14:18 »

As road users they are just as entitled as you to be there. If they happen to go a little slow for your liking, that's unfortunate, but tough. Sometimes I get stuck behind tractors, or in a jam, or a red light.

If the roads are narrow, maybe they are too narrow for a car to pass safely, in that case what's wrong with riding two abreast? It's safer for them and you, it stops overtaking. Think commanding the road.

If the roads are as twisty as you say, and you go round the bend at "moderate" speeds, maybe you're the one driving too fast and possibly in a dangerous fashion. After all you should be able to stop in the distance you can see.

If they assume car drivers will see them, car drivers should see them, through use of good observation, anticipation, road positioning, awareness and appropriate speed. If they don't it could be argued they shouldn't be driving.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2017, 22:18:15 »

No it isn't, its insufferably selfish. If a vehicle behind you is likely to normally travel twice as fast as you on your bicycle, its ludicrous to take a position to prevent it from passing you. The only reasonable thing to do is to get out of its way, and let it carry on its way.
If someone did it in a powered vehicle, they would probably be committing an offence. I don't  see why it should be any different for cycles. But to me, it only reinforces the point that cycles shouldn't really be on the roads in this day and age.

It is.

If in the circumstances you describe. Twisty, solid white lines. You shouldn't be overtaking anyway.

As for thinking cyclists shouldn't be on the road, whenever I hear that it sounds like the egocentric unreasoned ramblings of someone who dislikes the fact someone else is using the roads in a way not to their liking but ok nonetheless.

Cyclists have just as much right to be there as you.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 July 2017, 22:25:03 »

Entitled - legally of course they are. I maintain though, that its common decency to get out of the way of someone who is obviously going to be normally travelling faster than you are.
Itsvery obvious with some cyclists that they take pleasure in holding up traffic behind them. They get a childish pleasure from it.
Commanding the road sounds like a phrase from the handbook of "Cycliists have the moral high ground". Trying to stop someone from overtaking you, because you deem it to be preferable,safer, or any other reason is ludicrous. Pull over and let them past.
I'm in no way driving too fast or remotely dangerously. Hence I haven't ploughed into any of these groups of cyclists. Its just disconcerting and annoying to come round a bend and have to anchor up then sit behind them for as long as they want you to sit behind them, just because they can.
If they assume drivers will see them, bearing in mind their vulnerability, they are people who are not long for this world, unless the are lucky.
I know this as a motorcyclist from 1975 - 2010.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.