Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Buyers Guide?  (Read 33428 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Buyers Guide?
« Reply #135 on: 04 January 2017, 17:53:42 »

I'm with Gav on this one

With my PFl / 3ltr engine, you seemed to have a bit of spin which in some cases got you off the line quicker

With this manual box / 3.2 engine, the TC is very hard to manipulate on the throttle
You can turn it off ;D incidentally,  I wonder if the software has slightly different thresholds for each box :-\ Clutch slip vs slushbox slip... never did that many miles in the auto 3.2 to get a proper feel, and the lsd in the plod worked a treat with TC only really being apparent in snow...
Onanists always think outside the box.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 04 January 2017, 18:01:17 »

I'm with Gav on this one

With my PFl / 3ltr engine, you seemed to have a bit of spin which in some cases got you off the line quicker

With this manual box / 3.2 engine, the TC is very hard to manipulate on the throttle
You can turn it off ;D incidentally,  I wonder if the software has slightly different thresholds for each box :-\ Clutch slip vs slushbox slip... never did that many miles in the auto 3.2 to get a proper feel, and the lsd in the plod worked a treat with TC only really being apparent in snow...

Iirc, I had a conversation with Kev Wood a few years back about this so that's a distinct possibility Al ......

I've only ever had one slushbox and that went last year thank opps  ;D ;D

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 04 January 2017, 18:08:23 »

I'm with Gav on this one

I found it easier to feather the throttle, I wasn`t fond of headbutting the steering wheel when the TC kicked in
I wouldn`t worry about the traction control....it`s shit  :y

Far better to drive without it and control traction with your right foot  ;)

Yes, I can imagine. Besides the PFL also comes with some form of it. This is why I asked if the MFL version is that much better. I was anticipating it wouldn't be worth bothering upgrading, even if possible. :)

I had a facelift manual 3.0l and the TC was crap, like someone pulling the fuel pump fuse  ;)
Never had a problem with TC on either 3.2 :-\

Do they use the same software?

I found the 3.0l just felt like it had cut the fuel, then after what felt like seconds chimed back in again

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 04 January 2017, 18:09:23 »

I did  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 04 January 2017, 18:18:11 »

Yes, I can imagine. Besides the PFL also comes with some form of it. This is why I asked if the MFL version is that much better. I was anticipating it wouldn't be worth bothering upgrading, even if possible. :)

I had a facelift manual 3.0l and the TC was crap, like someone pulling the fuel pump fuse  ;)

That bad uh. ;D

But that is speaking from a going around corners and moving fast point of view right. What about for example to get some traction on ice, snow etc? Is it at least useful for that? Regardless of PFL, MFL or FL.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 04 January 2017, 18:19:37 »

And I know that if I want the safest Omega I should buy a 2003 or better yet, just a newer car. But I have settled on an Omega for now and I haven't found a 2003 that fit.

This was the point I was addressing. I merely reiterated what I told you in your first thread.

If you like the earlier car, buy it.

If you want a safer car, buy that.

You can have both, but it takes imagination, cash and time, and I get the distinct impression that you're at least one short :-X

Sure Gollum. I already understood that.  ;)

But I'm obviously interested in the ins and outs of having "both" like you say.  :)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 04 January 2017, 18:25:53 »

That bad uh. ;D

But that is speaking from a going around corners and moving fast point of view right. What about for example to get some traction on ice, snow etc? Is it at least useful for that? Regardless of PFL, MFL or FL.

More from pulling out of awkward junctions, as for snow and ice...it stayed at home  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 04 January 2017, 18:34:19 »

That bad uh. ;D

More from pulling out of awkward junctions, as for snow and ice...it stayed at home  ;)
Adding lock provides a lot of leverage ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 04 January 2017, 18:51:20 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 04 January 2017, 18:57:39 »

Because differently from the hecklers who I no longer acknowledge,  ....

Do you think he means me?  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 05 January 2017, 07:38:21 »

Funny thing.... I used to think OOF was a place where people came to talk about Omegas.  Now it seems that it's a place where people come to get abuse for wanting to talk about Omegas.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 05 January 2017, 12:00:54 »

Funny thing.... I used to think OOF was a place where people came to talk about Omegas.  Now it seems that it's a place where people come to get abuse for wanting to talk about Omegas.  ::)

I agree with you there Sir Tigger, while he might rattle on a bit he's not doing any harm  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #147 on: 05 January 2017, 12:20:06 »

The point of a forum is to discuss. If someone is obsessed with a particular subject and is starting to get repetitive, you have a choice. Join in or leave it alone. Unfortunately, some people seem incapable of exercising this choice.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 05 January 2017, 14:09:23 »

MFL safety features are not retrofittable back to a PFL.  Obviously, whilst nothing is impossible, it would be too impractical to try.

As to the TC functionality, PFL just cuts engine, MFL/FL try to brake the spinning wheel, and if unsuccessful, cuts engine power.  The difference is quite useful if you have any ability and feeling of the chassis, but if you are lazy/slow/stupid, both feel like somebody has chained it to the road.  Modern systems are less intrusive at the point of having to adjust engine power (but all too often too intrusive as when the system begins to activate). The PFL system is far more reliable, as the MFL/FL V6 ABS unit has a known reliability issue with its ECU.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 05 January 2017, 14:09:58 »

Well said Sir Tigger.  I agree wholeheartedly.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.