Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Development.  (Read 5661 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Development.
« Reply #105 on: 11 April 2014, 09:17:26 »

Apply it to this thread.

Kevs answer btw is not what I imagined. Why? Did I not explain it well enough. More than likely. Did he apply it to what he knows best. Quite possibly.

Probably got the point accross by now.

Might be ready for Mr Dtm now. If he can be arsed. ;D

For me, and probably others I'd guess, the work environment can be extremely frustrating. The same old problems come up time and time again. Same job done wrong each time it comes through. So what did we do last time? We bodged it. Staff used their ingenuity to fix the fault and get the job through. It's not done correctly, it's not exactly to spec, it cost the company three times as much in time to do, but the customer accepted it and we got paid.

Where's the fault? Well, management don't know. Why? Lack of experience. But ultimately, they failed to implement a fault reporting system. Staff have no way of reporting back a fault. Result? Nobody fixes any faults. More jobs come though and back up the production process. Result less jobs done that day. Result? Less profit. Last 3 or 4 jobs of the day are delivered late because the fault held them up and they don't get done until the next day. Costs are incurred on late fees. The profit from the faulty job is lost, ten fold actually by the time up I add up the knock on effects. Result? Company goes bust. Or at best, is selling fivers for £4 and an accountant might spot it.

This is my world currently. We don't learn as a company. Why? Management see fault finding as a negative. So refuse to accept it stating we must keep looking forward. Ok great, how? No answer. Just keep looking forward.

Ffs. Looking forward is great, but in order to look forward effectively, first the passed needs to be accepted and learned from. Anything else is idiotic.

Now it may be that jobs come through "wrong" for a good reason. But unless you have an effective fault finding process in place, nobody will ever know what that reason is. Good bad or indifferent.
You say 'by the time I add up the knock on effects'. Is this part of your job or are you just surmising that this is what happens? If it is part of your job to collate the financial cost of delays through faulty workmanship, then you really need to bang some heads together.
If it is not part of your job the are you privy to the actual figures?

It's not part of my job as such. My job, all of our jobs, are way and above our position and pay. Not that management are aware.

We see the figures. But not in terms of pound notes, but in time. Time is money in our game. Which is basically production. We all leak over into management, engineering, cleaners, planners in order to get though the day. We have to.

What's kicked all this off is a consultant has been called in to look at our processes. He's basically confirmed almost everything we've said to him, and is up managements arse banging heads together as you say. Not literally but the result is the same.

Due to lack of experience, immaturity, pride, whatever, they are resisting and the company is not developing.

We can talk about the terminology, but we all know the process. Mostly. Its getting the pint across to those that don't get it. For me, it's doing it in an eloquent way that has the right result without blowing my top with frustration. My concern is that it seems SO simple to me, so simple that its doesn't need explaining, it's like walking up the road, that actually I'm assuming too much. That I've sniffed a fraction of info off the consultant and gone too far with it.

A little bit of info can be a dangerous thing. You need ALL the info to make a good decision. I'm out if my area certainly. But these people have my destiny in their control. My mortage. Life style etc. I want them to get it right.

so simple that it doesnt need

chrisgixer

Re: Development.
« Reply #106 on: 11 April 2014, 15:22:11 »

Well done cem. Your English is coming on well.

.... I said... Your iglazy ..... Very   Good.

( But mines better. :D ;) ;D )
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.