Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Shocking find on Ralf....  (Read 22318 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Shocking find on Ralf....
« Reply #150 on: 12 May 2012, 14:15:29 »

So as long as it's going in the right direction (with the ''DO NOT CRIMP'' not upside down)  then it doesn't matter where i put it on?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 12 May 2012, 20:08:06 »

Have you done the cambelt yet or what?  ;D

omega3000

« Reply #152 on: 12 May 2012, 20:17:33 »

Have you done the cambelt yet or what?  ;D

Just what i was thinking maybe he went pub instead

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 12 May 2012, 22:12:08 »

Right then chaps, everything is going great. sorted the cam timing with belt off and locked the cams, done water pump, removed backing plate etc etc. and it's all back together. however. little bit of a problem....just about to replace the cambelt and looked and it has no markings. there is the lettering still there with ''DO NOT CRIMP'' and the other lettering further along with a bar code and ''G'' at the end of it but no double marking for the crank and no single markings for the cams.

now i know the bar code with ''G'' should go over cams 1/2 but what do i do about the no markings?

Am i done for with regards to putting the old belt back or are there some trucks of the trade?

cheers dudes

Hi Webby,

Right -

Lazydocker is absolutely right, in as much as the marks on the belt are only there to aid fitment. They are not essential.

One point you need to note is this. When a used cambelt is removed, with the intention to refit - it should always, no exceptions, be refitted in the same direction of travel as it came off.

So, for example, if the writing on the belt was facing towards you when you removed it - it goes in in the same rotation when it goes back on.

What you need to do is this:

1) Cams locked in correct place

2) Crank at TDC.

3) Ensure the backplate is fitted with the tensioner and upper idler, and ensure these are loose and free to adjust (NB, the lower right idler should not yet be fitted). Back off the tensioner as far as it will go.

4) Now start routing the cambelt. Start at the crank, then route over the tensioner. NOTE - do not pull this stretch of the belt tottally tight. There should be quite a bit of slack here at this stage (which will be taken up by the tensioner). When you have routed it over the crank, and up to the tensioner, insert the wedge to hold the belt in place against the crank sprocket.

5) route the belt around cams 1 and 2, and then the top idler. When you've done this, before you offer the belt to the next bank of cams, twist the idler with your finger to ensure there is no slack. Now route the belt over cams 3 and 4. Note there should be no slack on the belt run between the two cams on each bank. Then route the belt on it's final run, back towards the other side of the crank pulley.

6) Holding the belt in position with one hand, reach for your third arm (it gets easier over time) and pop the lower right idler into place, twist the aduster round on this idler until the bolt lines up with the hole in the block. NB ensure the washer is correctly located on the rear of the idler, don't let it drop off and forget it else you're in trouble...

7) Set lower right idler arrow to approx 1 o clock, nipping up the bolt.

8) Turn upper idler anticlockwise until it takes up the tension, it'll probably end up in the 9 or 10 o clock position depending on engine year.

9) using alan key, hold tensioner so the mark on it is in correct place, and then nip up with open ended 13mm spanner to hold in place.

10) Quick visual check to make sure everything is where it should be.

11) Rotate engine until all of the marks are about to line up again. When it's just before TDC, apply water pump locking tool, and lock at TDC.

12) Check banks 3 and 4 with measuring tool. Adjust lower right idler if needed (turning adjuster anti clockwise will advance the cams)

13) When happy 3 and 4 are set correctly, Do the same with cams 1 and 2, using the top idler.

14) Back off the tension, and re-set to correct position.

15) Torque all the bolts to spec, ensuring you don't move any idlers while doing so (hold in place with 30mm spanner)

16) Turn the engine over again by hand, re-lock in place, and ensure everything still lines up.  If it does - happy days, on with the cover.

If ever you decide it's going completely pete tong, a) don't force anything that won't go, and b) if you need to, start again with the crank at 60deg before TDC (4 o clock position) - set the cams correctly, crank to TDC, and try again.

Hope this helps. It may not be the book way, but it's my way. Some prefer to route it over the lower right idler first, which is fine - but I don't think that's the way encouraged on the DVD - so I'd stick with the DVD method for now.

Any problems post up :y

If this is your first V6 cambelt, I would be inclined to turn the engine over several times by hand when you think it's correctly set up, check, double and triple check. There's no harm in that. If you get really stuck, then don't let it get to you - just ask again :)

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 22:14:25 by JamesV6CDX »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 13 May 2012, 08:55:32 »

James. What a detailed reply. That's really kind of you  :y :y :y :y

That all makes absolutely perfect sense... what i've been trying to do is get the belt tight from crank to cams 1 & 2 by hand  :-[... and even though somehow ive managed to do that by hand i cant do 3 & 4....... but that explains why!!!

I worked on it until 8pm last night but i didnt panic. i simply downed tools, relaxed and back today for more punishment.

ill update hopefully with the belt all done
thanks again mate thats really good of you
RIP Paul Lovejoy

martin42

« Reply #155 on: 13 May 2012, 10:47:04 »

Webby p.m sent  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 13 May 2012, 12:58:16 »

Webby p.m sent  :y

mate, real sorry i didnt check pm's... im done now for the day.

however, i still got problems. 3/4 bank is spot on. 1/2 bank needs advancing slightly... however when i turn the upper idler anti clockwise to advance it the oppsing 30mm star shaped thing just comes loose. what on earth have i done wrong?

Done exactly as you said james.....

1.) lower idler at approx 1oclock
2.) upper idler taking up the tension at around 9/10 0clock
3.) tensioner bang on the line

please help someone :(

RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #157 on: 13 May 2012, 13:21:34 »

Errm its getting too technical now  ::) your using mechanical terms  ;D The master will be along soon ...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 13 May 2012, 15:04:40 »

however when i turn the upper idler anti clockwise to advance it the oppsing 30mm star shaped thing just comes loose. what on earth have i done wrong?
Hold idler in correct position with 30mm spanner, then nip up the torx bolt ;)
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 13 May 2012, 16:02:04 »

however when i turn the upper idler anti clockwise to advance it the oppsing 30mm star shaped thing just comes loose. what on earth have i done wrong?
Hold idler in correct position with 30mm spanner, then nip up the torx bolt ;)

Thanks for that TB.

what i mean is though that i'm actually trying to move the idler to advance bank 1 and 2 to get them in position. but when i move it (anti clockwise) bank 1/2 stay where they are and dont move and the idler loses tension.
if that makes sense.

sorry for my crap explanation.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 13 May 2012, 19:04:48 »

One tooth too much slack on the belt, between the two banks of cams, is what it sounds like...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 13 May 2012, 20:33:48 »

One tooth too much slack on the belt, between the two banks of cams, is what it sounds like...

Ok james thanks very much for that. if thats the case then thinking about it as cams 3/4 worked when i advanced the lower idler i'm thinking the following would work:

1. relock the belt on the crank with that wedge type tool
2. undo 13mm tensioner bolt so that tensioner slackens between cams 1/2 and the crank.
3. remove upper idler
4. shift belt one tooth left over cams 1/2
5. replace idler
6. reset tensioner that should take up all the slack from the extra tooth
7. turn the engine and shoadvance cams 1/2 as necesary

only thing with that is what position do i set the upper idler when i replace?

if anybody can just give me the thumbs up then ill be on it like a tramp on chips tomorrow

:)

thanks all,
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 14 May 2012, 14:53:46 »

RALF IS OFFICIALLY TIMED UP CORRECTLY!!!!!

Went home at lunch with a list of instructions i'd written to myself lol

As James said I had too much slack between the two banks. it was exactly one tooth out.

so i put the wedge tool back in, loosely held vice grips on cam 3 and belt so they stayed in position, loosened tensioner, removed upper idler, shifted belt over one tooth, replaced idler, loosely did up tensioner, set lower idler to 1oclock, set upper idler so that it took tension (around 8/9 oclock, tensioner on the mark, rotated the engine. advanced cans 3/4 then did the same with 1/2. reset tensioner, turned engine again and hey presto, ralf's timing is sorted.

What have i learned from this.....

GET A BELT WITH MARKERS ON. Would have been so much easier.

i'll post up full pics pics when i get home. reassembly starts at the weekend.

TB, ignore my PM. I'll be up tonight or tomorrow with your kit :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 14 May 2012, 15:00:47 »

Very well done mate :y

Just to confirm -

with crank locked at TDC, and with the gauge held between the pulleys, the marks are dead in the centre - and the tensioner set right? All torqued up, re-rotated, and re-checked?

If so, happy days :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 14 May 2012, 15:12:54 »

Very well done mate :y

Just to confirm -

with crank locked at TDC, and with the gauge held between the pulleys, the marks are dead in the centre - and the tensioner set right? All torqued up, re-rotated, and re-checked?If so, happy days :y :y

Oh yes ;)

Only thing i didnt do was torque them as i dont have a torque wrench with the low numbers. however, i did them up tight but not so much id strip them ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.