Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordered iPhone 5 today  (Read 4174 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered iPhone 5 today
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2012, 21:02:22 »

I like the iPhone 5 hardware, but iOS 6 has some issues for me. Don't like the new App store layout, been giving Android a serious go, really liking it so far.

I went from iphone 3gs to galaxy s2,I wouldnt go back again.

Not a fan of the S2, far too cheaply built and I don't like some of the forced Samsung tie in. Got a HTC Sensation XE at the moment as a test, which is not bad, as my 3G-S has a screen fault. Its software I think, but using it as an excuse for a new one.

However its made me wonder if I want an S3

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2012, 21:31:36 »

TBH, there are very few places in the country where I can get an O2 signal and not one on 3 ;) And when you do have a 3 signal it's a 3G one, even in Brakkers ;)

As for monthly cost... Not cheap, but cheaper than the lease deal, but is truly unlimited data including tethering :y And more minutes and texts than I will have to use :y
Signal. It works here, in Buckingham, in Silverstone and in Banbury. Just nowhere in between.  O2 is 900Mhz 3G here.

As to 3 giving truely unlimited, they don't. They say they do, but there is more than 1 way to skin a cat  :-X

I'm quite happy to pay what I do for my PAYG O2 based service, with near universal ability to make calls. In the last 18 months, I've topped up £70 (as I burned up £35 in Cyprus last year in 2 days ::)), and still have £45 credit ::). For that I get 250m/Unltd text/1Gb inc tethering (as from next month). Works for me :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2012, 21:33:52 »

However its made me wonder if I want an S3
Way too big for me. Way to big. SIII Mini should be announced tomorrow.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2012, 22:06:40 »

TBH, there are very few places in the country where I can get an O2 signal and not one on 3 ;) And when you do have a 3 signal it's a 3G one, even in Brakkers ;)

As for monthly cost... Not cheap, but cheaper than the lease deal, but is truly unlimited data including tethering :y And more minutes and texts than I will have to use :y
Signal. It works here, in Buckingham, in Silverstone and in Banbury. Just nowhere in between.  O2 is 900Mhz 3G here.

As to 3 giving truely unlimited, they don't. They say they do, but there is more than 1 way to skin a cat  :-X

I'm quite happy to pay what I do for my PAYG O2 based service, with near universal ability to make calls. In the last 18 months, I've topped up £70 (as I burned up £35 in Cyprus last year in 2 days ::)), and still have £45 credit ::). For that I get 250m/Unltd text/1Gb inc tethering (as from next month). Works for me :)

I have a PAYG from the same provider as a backup... Too unreliable for my business needs (text messages not arriving for hours :o) so would have to be full fat O2, who are just ridiculously over priced for the same (actually, a worse) package.

And I know I've already paid for the privilege of unlimited data and I also know they can (and probably will, no matter what they promise ::)) throttle it if my usage is excessive ::) But I know someone on the unlimited data who streams radio for up to 8 hours per day and they haven't restricted his access as yet ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 October 2012, 22:10:21 »

Oh, and I've had no issues holding conversations when driving around the countryside there ;)

In fact, the only place I frequent that the signal is frustratingly patchy is at home ::) Although it's likely they will improve that quite soon as there's a new mast in the area that is currently only being used by one provider... Vodaphone :o Who I wouldn't go with if they were the last provider on earth as once away from that mast the signal will be crap ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2012, 22:10:48 »

Not ever experienced any delay with texts from anyone. Had trouble with the providers own automated texts, but thats because the provider's computer systems are shite ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2012, 22:14:11 »

Oh, and I've had no issues holding conversations when driving around the countryside there ;)

In fact, the only place I frequent that the signal is frustratingly patchy is at home ::) Although it's likely they will improve that quite soon as there's a new mast in the area that is currently only being used by one provider... Vodaphone :o Who I wouldn't go with if they were the last provider on earth as once away from that mast the signal will be crap ::)
I wonder why 3 choose to provide service in the arse end of nowhere, but not, for example, along the M40  ???

Glad it works for you :y. Only O2 works for me. And I've heard H21 say only Vodafoney works for him.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2012, 22:14:52 »

Not ever experienced any delay with texts from anyone. Had trouble with the providers own automated texts, but thats because the provider's computer systems are shite ;D

Think it depends where in the country you are... Frequently I will get the same message through imessage on the gayphone (Three) and the other, even though it has good signal (not 3G mind as it's universally poor around these parts), a minimum of 20 minutes later >:( No good for a 60 minute ETA ;) ::)

Anyway... I'm happy enough with the deal and I'm in SWMBO's good books for getting her a 5 too ;) :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2012, 22:17:04 »

I wonder why 3 choose to provide service in the arse end of nowhere, but not, for example, along the M40  ???

Glad it works for you :y. Only O2 works for me. And I've heard H21 say only Vodafoney works for him.

It is strange. I've not had issues with signal on the M40... Well, I didn't a year ago when I was on a call driving up it from London to Banbury :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2012, 22:21:06 »

Think it depends where in the country you are... Frequently I will get the same message through imessage on the gayphone (Three) and the other, even though it has good signal (not 3G mind as it's universally poor around these parts), a minimum of 20 minutes later >:( No good for a 60 minute ETA ;) ::)

Anyway... I'm happy enough with the deal and I'm in SWMBO's good books for getting her a 5 too ;) :y
Ah, thats likely to be crApple's iMessage. Disable it. On any network, with any signal.

I tend to send, according to my provider, approx 500 texts a month, and would guess I receive similar. As said, never seen any delays. iMessage disabled, a) because its unreliable, b) because crApple make Google look like angels.

Due to patchy 3 coverage, not sure if I'd disable iMessage on 3, as you may be unlucky and get into the retry wait time.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2012, 22:24:59 »

It is strange. I've not had issues with signal on the M40... Well, I didn't a year ago when I was on a call driving up it from London to Banbury :-\
Its a standard joke around these parts that only Vodafoney can provide a good signal around the mid parts of the M40. I say 'joke', sadly its true ;D

My experience with 3 shows massive blackspots along it - with a proper Nokia phone, not the so-so iPhone radio.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2012, 22:48:56 »

Not found iMessage unreliable at all tbh. At least it confirms receipt ::)

And I'm talking of receiving, not sending ;)

Must admit, I'm tempted to chuck the PAYG sim in my iPhone 4 instead of selling it :-\ It's currently in a Nokia 6600 Slide. But then I see how much they sell for and change my mind ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2012, 23:09:53 »

Nokia 6300 on O2.  :y

Can't remember the last time I didn't have a signal.. oh, it isn't that great at the gliding club. Normally get a missed call indication half way up a winch launch. :-[ :-X

They did manage to screw up their entire network on the same day that Sleazyjet failed miserably to provide a couple of pilots with enough hours to fly me home from Munich, though. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2012, 05:41:36 »

So how does 4G help us out with all this?

Will Everything everywhere live up to its name?

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 October 2012, 07:37:14 »

;D
Just like TheBoy I will keep on using my trusty KU990 and GM360 cos they do all I want them to do and I am not interested in simply buying an expensive phone to show others I am in the 'trend'. Better things to spend money on that are far more practical...... ;)

As for a signal..we have been with Tesco (O2) for years and have not had any real problems with a signal wherever we have been. It may be a weak one sometimes but at least was there. The only times we had problems was when we were in new buildings with the sheer amount of steel used in them deflecting the signal.
No doubt others will disagree but we are happy with what we have so really don't care.......... ;D ;D ;D ;D we leave the posing to teenagers and wannabees.......... ;)
« Last Edit: 12 October 2012, 07:41:30 by Bionic »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.